2nd request - Click link opens AOL instead of Firefox

1 view

KathrynBassett

Jan 26, 2006, 8:02:20 PM1/26/06
Similar question to this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook/browse_frm/thread/527c1cc1e9005fd6/bd73c54c84006eaa?q=click+link+opens+AOL&rnum=4#bd73c54c84006eaa

In my case, when clicking on a link in email (OL 2003), I want it to
open Firefox. I do have the extension associations set for FF, for
things like jpg, and several others. However, when the link is
something like http://thisdomain.com/wordpress - where there is no
extension, it's opening AOL. Can't uninstall that as it's my work
computer and homeowner uses AOL versus my using Outlook and the
broadband ISP's email.

Sam Crawford

Jan 26, 2006, 9:21:23 PM1/26/06

On 26-Jan-2006, "KathrynBassett" <kat...@bassett.net> wrote:

> In my case, when clicking on a link in email (OL 2003), I want it to
> open Firefox. I do have the extension associations set for FF, for
> things like jpg, and several others. However, when the link is
> something like http://thisdomain.com/wordpress - where there is no
> extension, it's opening AOL. Can't uninstall that as it's my work
> computer and homeowner uses AOL versus my using Outlook and the
> broadband ISP's email.

If you are using XP, click on "Start", "Set Program Access and Defaults",
"Custom" and pick Firefox as default web browser.

You also can try to set the default in Firefox by clicking on "Tools",
"Options", "General" and tell Firefox to check if it is the default browser.

Hope these help.

KathrynBassett

Jan 27, 2006, 7:00:56 PM1/27/06
I thought I'd already done that, but maybe not. It will be Monday
before I can check it out and I'll hope that it is that simple - it is
a new computer so maybe I didn't do it like I thought.

kathrynatgwens

Jan 30, 2006, 12:44:11 PM1/30/06
Turns out I'd never seen that screen before. I'm sure I said yes to
making default when installing Firefox and that was enough before, so
it must be something in the updates. Anyway, there were several choices
and the one checked was to "use my current web browser" so I changed
that to Firefox and now it works fine - yeah!

Thanks for the tip!