Unable to connect to Exchange - Outlook 2002 w/ SP3

Linh Pham

Apr 17, 2003, 3:04:03 PM4/17/03
I have a user that decided to install the beta for Office
2003 along with the beta of Outlook Business Contact
Manager and un-installed it. He re-installed Office XP
Professional on his machine (network administrative install
with SP3 applied) and tried to create his Outlook profile
and got an error when he filled in the Exchange server name
and his mailbox name, then clicked "Check Name":

An unknown error occurred

0x9004010F

I've gone through and remove every little scrap of Office
2003 from his machine, he combed through the registry,
re-install Office XP multiple times and still gets the
error. Any clues on what to do before I tell him to
flatline his computer and start from scratch?

Dave Agro

Apr 18, 2003, 3:45:00 PM4/18/03
I just had the exact same problem as you on my PC today. I was
running Office 2003, but recently removed it and stepped back to
Office XP. When I did a "Check Name" I got the same error message.
Here's how I fixed it (It's a lot easier than you think)

Right-click on Outlook and goto properties. Then click on "Show
Profiles". Delete whatever profiles are there and then add a new one
from scrath. That's it, that's all there was to it for me. Hope this
works for you.

Grace Xiao [MSFT]

Apr 22, 2003, 9:23:14 AM4/22/03
Hi Linh,

According to my research, this issue occurs rarely. I searched our internal
database as well as the Internet and only found two incidents for this
error code, one was resolved by reinstalling Office XP and another is
resolved by formatting the whole system. Since you have reinstalled Office
XP to no avail, this issue may be a little complicated and it may take us
some time to solve it.

By the way, I also performed some further researches on this problem. After
searching http://www.google.com I cannot find any related information.

Currently, let's check if we can resolve the issue by completely remove and
reinstall Office.

#1: Remove Office
------------------
1. Please disable all of the anti-virus programs and any third party
applications.

2. Remove Office from Add/remove programs.

#2: Edit the Registry
--------------------

1. Click Start, and then click Run and type regedit to run it.

2. In the left pane in the Registry Editor, locate the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office

3. In the left pane, right-click the Office folder, and then click Delete.

4. Repeat the above steps to remove the following registry keys as well:

Note: You may not find all of the following registry keys. This is normal.
Please skip that registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Exchange
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Schedule+
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\

#3 Search and Rename the Outlook Cache Files

1. Since they may be located in the hidden folders, please click
Start->Settings->Folder Options->On the View tab, choose "Show all files"

2. In the All or part of the file name type " mapistub.dll" (without the
quotation marks). Choose "My Computers" in Look In and search it.

3. In the list of files found, right-click mapistub.dll, and then click
Rename to rename it as .old file.

4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 to rename the following files: (You may not
able to find all of the following files. This is normal. Please skip that
file.)

mapi32x.dll
mapi32.dll
mapi.dll
extend.dat
outllib.dll
outcmd.dat
mso9.dll
views.dat
frmcache.dat
mapistub.dll

#4 Reinstall Office
-------------------
Please reinstall Office XP from the CD and check if the problem still
persists.

Can we setup the Microsoft Exchange account and successfully check the
mailbox by clicking the "Check Name" button now?

If completely remove Office does not solve this issue, I am afraid a clean
reinstall may be required. Please well backup your important data before
formatting the system.

Hope it helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for
you.

Best Regards,

Grace Xiao MCSE, MCSD
Online Support Professional

from your issue.

--------------------

Linh Pham

Apr 25, 2003, 12:30:54 AM4/25/03

The user decided to format and re-install Windows on his
machine along with Office XP and was able to connect again.
Thanks.

Grace Xiao [MSFT]

Apr 25, 2003, 7:38:27 AM4/25/03
Hi Linh,

Thank you for telling us the user can connect the Exchange server after he
formatted the computer. If you have any questions about Outlook in the
future, please feel free to post it in this newsgroup.

Have a great day!

Best Regards,

Grace Xiao MCSE, MCSD
Online Support Professional

from your issue.

--------------------
>From: "Linh Pham" <li...@bnj.com>
>Sender: "Linh Pham" <li...@bnj.com>
>Subject: RE: Unable to connect to Exchange - Outlook 2002 w/ SP3
>Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 21:30:54 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.installation

al

May 21, 2003, 9:10:40 AM5/21/03
well, I have just ran into this same issue. I installed 2003 beta as
an upgrade to XP, and recieved the error message: An Unknown error
occured, error code: 0x9004010F.

So, after finding this posting, I rolled back to XP, deleted all
profiles, and rebuilt mine with success. However, I tried again to
upgrade to 2003 beta, and the message returned. Even after deleting
all profiles from the system, I was unable to successfully create a
profile that can connect to the exchange server.

Any advice?

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

May 21, 2003, 10:00:14 AM5/21/03
See if creating an entry in the Hosts file lets you connect to
Exchange.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]

"al" <kul...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Grace Xiao [MSFT]

May 22, 2003, 4:22:12 AM5/22/03
Hello,

In Linh's original log, the issue occurred in Outlook XP when we upgraded
it to Outlook 2003 and downgraded it.

If we encounter the issue in Outlook 2002 after downgrade from Outlook
2003, we can also check if this step helps:

1. Click "Help" --> "Detect and Repair"
2. Choose "Discard my customized settings and restore default settings".

Based on your information, I understand you recevie this 0x9004010F error
in Outlook 2003 beta program, right? Unfortunately, at this time, beta
products are not supported via Microsoft Online Support. Please refer to
the documentation that came with your beta material (or found on the
download site) for support options. Personally I recommend you check if a
clean install of Office 2003 beta helps.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Grace Xiao