Re: allow outlook to start minimized

Andreas Roeder

May 15, 2005, 3:40:42 AM5/15/05
maxwellcom wrote:
> As far as I can tell, it is impossible to start Outlook 2003 minimized to
the
> system tray. I would like to put Outook in my startup folder and have the
> app launch minimized to the system tray ("task notification area").
(Note:
> modifying shortcut properties has no effect).
>
> ----------------
this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=b2c141ae-1328-4c8b-bbe2-505bb054ee19&dg=microsoft.public.outlook.installation

HI,
please read
http://www.andreas-roeder.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=154

--
Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern gings noch
Braves...@Arcor.de

maxwellcom

May 15, 2005, 9:40:01 AM5/15/05
Andreas,

Thanks very much for your response. Unfortunately, I have already tried
this registry option. I am able make Outlook minimize to the system tray
(task notification area). I would like to be able to **launch** Outlook in a
minimized state, so that the app window never shows when launched. Even with
the suggested registry change, Outlook 2003 still starts maximized, and I
have to manually minimize the window.

disc...@my-deja.com

May 23, 2005, 5:29:44 PM5/23/05
maxwellcom wrote:
> Andreas,
>
> Thanks very much for your response. Unfortunately, I have already
tried
> this registry option. I am able make Outlook minimize to the system
tray
> (task notification area). I would like to be able to **launch**
Outlook in a
> minimized state, so that the app window never shows when launched.
Even with
> the suggested registry change, Outlook 2003 still starts maximized,
and I
> have to manually minimize the window.

If you want to start Outlook 2003 minimized, there are four things you
need to do (depending on how you count things.)

You must create a shortcut, and set it to open minimized.
You must assure that "Outlook Today" does not appear on startup. (see
below)
You must then make sure that Outlook is not maximized, and then Close
it.
If you want it to mimimize to the system tray, then right click the
icon in the system tray, when Outlook is open, and select "Hide when
minimized." (The registry change should do this too, but this is more
practical.)

If you don't want the icon to show up at all, and you are running XP,
you can right click on the taskbar, and select "properties." Then next
to "hide inactive icons," there is a customize button. Click it. Find
Outlook, click in the Behavior area, and select "always hide."

In order to get rid of "Outlook Today," you can do one of the
following:
Set your shortcut to go somewhere such as the calendar or contacts on
startup. "/select outlook:calendar" is the switch you would add after
the command in the shortcut, for example.

Alternatively, you can close "Outlook Today" from within Outlook.
Right click on "Personal Folders" or whatever network or personal
folder you see when "Outlook Today" comes up. Then click on "properties
for..." and then on the "Home Page" tab. Uncheck "Show homepage by
default..." and then click OK.

To get the shortcut to run minimized, just right click on it and go to
properties.

If you do like Outlook maximized when it's not minimized, then make
sure it's not maximized, (use "restore down" next to X ) drag Outlook
to the upper left part of your screen, and drag the lower right corner
until Outlook is the same size as when maximized. Then close it.

When you open Outlook with the shortcut, it will open with only the
icon showing, unless you turned that off too. Then if you open it by
double clicking the icon in the tray, it will appear "maximized."