Outlook - cannot delete emails

c...@news.postalias

Aug 18, 2004, 3:11:59 PM8/18/04
I am using Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003 standard. I
have 3 emails that I cannot delete. The error message
indicates that there is a virus and cannot be deleted. I
run symantec corporate edition with the exchange virus
protection running on my email server. How can I get rid
of these emails?

Alan Sun

Aug 18, 2004, 11:28:45 PM8/18/04
Hello,

Thanks for your posting here.

Based on the information, I suggest you use the Information Store Viewer
(MDBVU32) to delete the corrupted message. To do so, you may refer to the
following steps:

Note: Please back up the mailbox before doing so.

1. Start the MDB Viewer (Mdbvu32.exe) on an Outlook client. You can get it
from the following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3D1C7482-4C6E-4EC5-
983E-127100D71376&displaylang=en

2. At the MAPILogonEx(MAPI_LOGON_UI) dialog box, click OK.

3. At the Profile dialog box, select the proper profile.

4. In the MDB Viewer Test Application dialog box, click MDB, then click
Open Message Store.

5. Click the mailbox profile <servername DS>, click the Best Access option
(if it is not already selected), and then click Open.

6. In the MDB Viewer Test Application dialog box, click MDB, and then click
Open IPM Subtree.

7. In MDB Viewer, select the proper folder.

8. Choose the problematic message, and choose lpFld->DeleteMessages() in
the Operations Available box. And Click Call Function. You may also delete
the entire Sent Items folder.

9. Quite MDB Viewer.

If you encounter problems in deleting the messages from MDB Viewer, please
recreate the problematic mailbox using the following instructions:

1. Use Exmerge tool to export mailbox to PST file.

To use Exmerge, refer to the following article:
174197 XADM: Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Merge Program (Exmerge.exe)
Information
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=174197

2. Open the PST file from some other Outlook client to verify if we can
access inbox in the PST file.

3. If the PST file is good, go to ADUC (Active Directory Users and
Computers), right-click the problematic user and then click Exchange tasks.
Select remove exchange attributes.

4. Right-click the user again and then click Exchange tasks. Select create
mailbox.

5. Import PST back into mailbox using Exmerge or Outlook.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other concerns, or need
anything else.

Thanks & Regards
Alan Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support