undelivered emails notification

rita

Jan 16, 2008, 1:50:00 PM1/16/08
How can I know if an email was delivered or not? Is there some sort of
notification that I can turn on because I had an email not get delivered and
did not receive notification.

Brian Tillman

Jan 16, 2008, 2:16:33 PM1/16/08
rita <ri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

You can request a delivery or read receipt, but there's no guarantee the
recipient will honor the request. There's no way to guarantee delivery.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

VanguardLH

Jan 16, 2008, 6:35:16 PM1/16/08
"rita" wrote in message

You can configure Outlook to add a notification header to your
outbound e-mails to request the recipient's e-mail client send a read
receipt. That probably will not work because more e-mail users, and
maybe including yourself, have disabled sending read receipts. The
user installs Outlook and then configures it to ignore all requests
for read receipts, or they get sufficiently nuisanced with the prompt
due to the Prompt default setting for read receipts and then go into
options to disable them. The recipient dictates whether or not they
will send you a read receipt. Unless you are in a company environment
where policy can dictate that you enable read receipts or answer Yes
when prompted, don't expect anyone to bother sending them back to you.

You could ask for a delivery reciept but all that tells you is that
your e-mail got to their e-mail server, not that the user ever got it
in their mailbox and not if they have read it. Many, maybe most, mail
servers will not honor delivery reciepts. You already get negative
feedback if your e-mail is not deliverable, so positive feedback is
superfluous and an extra drain on their resources.

There is an old spammer's trick of inserting web beacons inside of
HTML-formatted e-mails; however, if the recipient finds out then they
might thereafter treat you as a spammer, block your e-mails, and
report you to the blacklists. Also, web beacons only work if a server
proffers the hidden image file and most users nowadays configure their
e-mail (if not already the default) to block linked images. So that
old trick doesn't work anymore.

If you want to know if they received your e-mails, ask them to send a
reply saying so.