Filtering foreign alphabets

Cindy Weston

Mar 6, 2008, 11:34:55 AM3/6/08
I'm suddenly getting a lot of e-mail in Hebrew, Russian,
and Japanese. Is there a way to filter out messages that
are composed of any of these foreign alphabets?
I'm using Outlook 2003.
Thanks for any help.

BB

VanguardLH

Mar 6, 2008, 12:14:35 PM3/6/08
"Cindy Weston" wrote in message

I use the following rule to handle e-mails that use non-English
character sets:

Apply this rule after the message arrives
with
'charset="Big5"'
or 'charset="ChineseBig_Charset"'
or 'charset="EUC-KR"'
or 'charset="GB2312_Charset"'
or 'charset="ISO-2022-JP"'
or 'charset="ISO-2022-KR"'
or 'charset="KOI8-R"'
or 'charset="KD_C_5601_1987"'
or 'charset="Windows-1250"'
or 'charset="Windows-1251"'
or charset="Windows-1254"'
or 'charset="Windows-1256"'
or 'charset="Windows-1257"'
or 'charset="Windows-874"'
in the message header
assign it to the 'Non-English Charset' category
and move it to the 'Junk' folder
and mark it as read
and stop processing more rules

I showed the 'with' clause on multiple lines for readability. It's
all one line in the rule. It's up to you what action you want to
commit on the suspect e-mail. I add the category because I include
the Categories column in the view in the Junk folder so I can easily
see why a suspect e-mail got moved into that folder (I also enabled
auto-archive to permanently delete e-mails from the Junk folder after
3 days).

I filter out those character sets to get rid of spam written in
Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc. For the Hebrew spam that you receive,
go look in its headers to see what character set is identified for
that e-mail, then add it to the list in this rule.