Outlook 2007 "Could not create the work file..."

IsaacBlake

Sep 29, 2006, 9:11:02 PM9/29/06
Greetings, I recently updated Office 2007 including the TR2 patch to my WinXP
Pro system. When I go into Outlook 2007 and display a message in the reading
pane having a graphic I receive a popup window stating:

"Outlook could not create the work file. Check the TEMP environment variable"

I checked my TEMP environment variable and it was correct, but I changed it
to c:\windows\temp and still received the message and behavior.

Next steps???

Patrick Schmid

Sep 29, 2006, 9:18:35 PM9/29/06
Do you have space left on your C drive or is it full?

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"IsaacBlake" <Isaac...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

IsaacBlake

Sep 29, 2006, 9:28:01 PM9/29/06
Oh about 120GB free... ;) LOL

I also ran the Office Diagnostic and it did not find anything...

Patrick Schmid

Sep 29, 2006, 9:41:40 PM9/29/06
Clear out your temp directory.

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"IsaacBlake" <Isaac...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

IsaacBlake

Sep 30, 2006, 7:54:02 AM9/30/06
Already had done that, but did it again, no change...

Patrick Schmid

Sep 30, 2006, 10:20:17 AM9/30/06
Have you already run Office Diagnostics?

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"IsaacBlake" <Isaac...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

IsaacBlake

Sep 30, 2006, 12:44:02 PM9/30/06
As I mentioned below, yes. No issues found, problem continues...

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Sep 30, 2006, 1:07:49 PM9/30/06
both the temp and tmp variable should be pointing to
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
make sure that folder is empty.

I believe this error is referring to the securetemp folder, aka OLK* under
the temp internet files - if all else fails, try changing it to use a
attachment folder in your my documents folder:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2003/20030828.htm (use a subfolder for
this - otherwise it can fill the my documents folder with a lot of files you
don't want saved)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

EMO-NEWSLETTER-S...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Olav Hoemsnes

Dec 11, 2006, 8:43:00 AM12/11/06

I have the exact same problem as discussed above, I tried to change the
SecureTemp folders location. That seems to work, but the message "Could not
create the work file..." keeps on popping up. For me I have the same message
in word 2007.

Regards,

Olav Hoemsnes

gavin...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2007, 6:21:06 AM1/2/07

I got this error a few days after installing IE7. Removing IE7, removed
the error.

Regards

Gav

gavinj44

Jan 9, 2007, 7:50:01 AM1/9/07
Hi There,

I Installed the Office 2007 Suite an I am also getting this error from
Outlook 2007, I have emptied the TEMP and TMP folders and also
c:\windows\temp uninstalled office rebooted and then reinstalled, and I am
still getting the error.

I may have to roll back to 2003 ...

Has anyone got any further ideas ?

Regards,
Gavin Jones

gryc...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2007, 10:15:54 AM2/7/07

I had same error.
The solution for me was to check some vars in the register.

>> run > type in "regedit" go to :
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\Shell Folders
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\User Shell Folders
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\User Shell Folders\New

And check "cache" var in these three locations, it should point to
your temp folder.
Hope this can help someone.

Regards
Geoffroy