Very Strange Outlook behaviour - concerning Asian Text only displayed with question marks???

dougher...@hotmail.com

Mar 12, 2007, 12:12:45 AM3/12/07
I am using Outlook 2003 (Office Pro SP2) on Windows XP Pro. SP 2
I do not use an exchange server and I use outlook to connect directly
to a mail server run by my ISP.

Here is my problem:

I regularly receive emails written in Korean text or a mixture of
Korean and English from lots of different correspondents. Almost
always the Korean text in the body of the email is not displayed
correctly; however the subject text is always displayed correctly.

Now, here is the really strange thing:

You know the small semi-transparent preview that pops up in the bottom
right of the screen whish shows a short preview when you receive a new
message, this displays the Korean characters in the message body just
fine. However, when I check the actual message, only question marks?

Outlook is also receiving these messages as "plain text" even though
the sender sent these as HTML. I think that this "plain text" issue
may be at the core of my problem. To some users in my address book,
when sending Outlook always converts a message to "plain text" even
though I have told it to send only HTML.

And vice-versa, Outlook seems to be converting from HTML to plain text
when receiving, despite all the relevant settings (that I know of)
being set to HTML. (Mail Format, Internet Format, International
Format etc.)

Can I force Outlook to always receive HTML messages as HTML? Why is
it converting some messages to "plain text"?

I have set my receiving .pst folders to be unicode enabled but this
makes no difference.

I have saw a couple of posts with some similar issues but no real
solutions that I can find.

I have all of the relevant fonts installed, support for Asian
languages etc. I can write email in Korean and send this OK. This
seems to be received at the other end no problem. It is only my
receiving side that seems to have this problem.

Any help or advise that anyone can give me to help solve this problem
is very much appreciated.