Outlook crashes after mailbox move

jhanegraaf

Nov 21, 2005, 9:32:03 AM11/21/05
Hello,

After a mailbox move from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003, users who are
using outlook 2003 client have problems. The mailbox can be opened but after
selecting a folder, the outlook client crashes.

event viewer gives error event 1000

Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.5510.0, stamp 3f1380f0,
faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, stamp 411096b4, debug? 0,
fault address 0x0000eddd.

Any idea how this can happened and how to solve?

I already used a new profile and started a mailbox on another pc but this
was not the solution.

Looks like something wrong with the mailbox??

regards, Jeroen

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Nov 21, 2005, 11:15:52 AM11/21/05

"jhanegraaf" <jhane...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

But did it work?

> Looks like something wrong with the mailbox??
>
> regards, Jeroen

If you were using cached mode and weren't using Outlook/Office 2003 SP2, you
can run into problems with mailbox moves. Did you try disabling cached mode
(in control panel | mail) before launching? Then re-enable it?
Is Outlook/Office fully up to date?

NB: Outlook questions pertaining to Exchange are often best asked in
microsoft.public.exchange.clients - you might consider crossposting a single
message to relevant groups by separating the group names with commas. And
this (among many other things) is a LOT better when you use a newsreader
like Outlook Express or Forte Agent rather than the web interface to the
newsgroups. It's a lot easier to do nearly everything there, including
searching, which is always a good idea to do before you post, as well as
mark messages to be watched, and filter based on replies to your posts.

The Microsoft public news server is msnews.microsoft.com and you can
subscribe to as many groups as you like.

ecease

Nov 21, 2005, 4:35:08 PM11/21/05
I've had similar problems, but in my case my mailbox was not moved.

Office 2003, SP2 & all patches (two computers using same ver and SP);
Exchange 2003 SP2.

On two computers: computer 1 Outlook 2003 MS Exchange profile, cached mode;
computer 2 Outlook 2003 MS Exchange profile, NOT cached.

Computer 1 opens mailbox, all folders accessible. Computer 2 opens
mailbox--Inbox usually accessible, other folders crash Outlook with:

Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.6565.0, stamp 42cacc7d,

faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, stamp 411096b4, debug? 0,

fault address 0x0000eddc.

Taking computer 1 out of cached mode and it behaves like computer 2.

Tried deleting the OST and allowing Outlook to recreate it; deleted Outlook
profiles on both computers and recreated (tried recreating in cached mode,
also tried recreating in non-cached). Doesn't matter which one was opened
first or even if the computer 1 is shut down when computer 2 opens mailbox.

I've tried everything that I can with Outlook and no improvement. Finally,
since I'm the Exchange administrator too, I Exmerged my mailbox to a pst,
exported by rules, deleted the OL2003 profiles, and deleted my mailbox.
After recreating the mailbox and making new profiles on both computers (in
non-cached mode), everything seems OK.

The only correlation between the problems and anything else, were an upgrade
to Exchange from Exch2000 to Exch2003SP2.

I'm stumped.

jdumke

Nov 28, 2005, 2:23:08 PM11/28/05
We experienced this same thing this morning after moving clients to new
servers this weekend. The move was from Exchange 2003 SP2 to Exchange
2003 SP2, so there was no change in Exchange versions. We found that
it only happened with Outlook 2003 (all versions), and that it only
happened on one out of four Exchange servers. OWA, IMAP clients, and
older versions of Outlook did not exhibit the problem. "Identical"
servers did
not manifest the problem when we moved the mailboxes in question to
those servers. We ended up rebooting the one server that caused issues
and they went away.

calicoguy

Dec 4, 2005, 6:10:02 PM12/4/05
I am having the same issue also. We upgraded from 2000 to 2K3 this weekend,
and now all Outlook 2K3 clients get the following error when a user tries to
go from the Inbox folder to any other...

Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.6565.0, stamp 42cacc7d,
faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, stamp 411096b4, debug? 0,
fault address 0x0000eddc.

I'm at my wits end, any help would be appreciated.

Thorwald

Dec 12, 2005, 3:14:02 PM12/12/05
And so did we.

Last weekend we moved about 600 mailboxes in an amount of 100Gb of email
from E2k SP3 to Ek23 Sp2. Around 25% to 50% of the users experienced the
problemen described below. After reading "jdumke" posting we tried connecting
with another version of Outlook, Web Access, new mailbox in the same
configuration and came to the same conclusion: Outlook 2003 ( in our case Sp1
) seems to be the problem. Trying to reproduce the flaw with creating a new
mailbox failed. We rebooted our E2k3 cluster and the problem was gone.

Microsoft should really look in to this. The mailbox migration was flawless
except for this incident. Hotfix wanted please.

Regards,

Thorwald van Elburg
Netherlands

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Dec 20, 2005, 11:09:01 PM12/20/05

In news:A56F6974-35DA-4ADE...@microsoft.com,
Thorwald <Thor...@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> And so did we.
>
> Last weekend we moved about 600 mailboxes in an amount of 100Gb of
> email from E2k SP3 to Ek23 Sp2. Around 25% to 50% of the users
> experienced the problemen described below. After reading "jdumke"
> posting we tried connecting with another version of Outlook, Web
> Access, new mailbox in the same configuration and came to the same
> conclusion: Outlook 2003 ( in our case Sp1 ) seems to be the problem.
> Trying to reproduce the flaw with creating a new mailbox failed. We
> rebooted our E2k3 cluster and the problem was gone.
>
> Microsoft should really look in to this. The mailbox migration was
> flawless except for this incident. Hotfix wanted please.

SP2?

Thorwald

Dec 23, 2005, 5:22:02 AM12/23/05
Service Pack 2 contains a number of fixes moving mailboxes, but unfortunately
not this one. As mentioned by other people, this problem occurs with every
version of Outlook 2003 and only with Outlook 2003.

Regards,

Thorwald

Puga

Jan 2, 2006, 7:59:33 AM1/2/06
I also experienced the same problem... We moved around 900 users from
E2kSp3 cluster to E2K3sp3 cluster over this weekend- and have faced
this only with Oulook 2003 users and I haven't heard this problem with
Outlook 2000 users.

I started Outlook with one of the start up options and fixed mine. (I
am trying to find which option fixed the issue, as I tried several
options.)

Puga

Jan 2, 2006, 8:50:23 AM1/2/06
Restarting the Exchange 2003 Cluster fixed the problem for all users!