I can receive email but cannot send it.

pegasus

Sep 29, 2004, 5:09:09 PM9/29/04
Yesterday I tried to send emails and I got an error message. I could receive
but not send. I tried all the usual things several times: turned off the
computer, turned off my router and cable modem, checked all my connections,
started fresh. The problem persists. Is this a problem with Outlook?

Debbie

Sep 29, 2004, 6:45:11 PM9/29/04
I've go the SAME problem. My error number is 554, and ISP
says it is not them. Tried the same things, and also
deleted and re-added my accounts, and added updates.
Nothing worked (yet). Any ideas?

>.

Brian Tillman

Sep 30, 2004, 1:35:56 PM9/30/04
pegasus <peg...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Make suer you''re properly authenticating to your outgoing server. Since
you didn't think it was important to state your Outlook version, no one can
tell you exactly how to do that.
--
Brian Tillman

Shah

Sep 30, 2004, 3:41:53 PM9/30/04
CHECK your SMTP server address.. It sounds ike you have entered a WRONG
SMTP server address...

"Brian Tillman" <tillm...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

pegasus

Sep 30, 2004, 3:59:01 PM9/30/04
Is an SMTP server address 3 numbers.3numbers.3numbers.2numbers? If so, both
my POP3 and STMP have always been the same.

pegasus

Sep 30, 2004, 4:11:03 PM9/30/04
Here is the error message I get.

unable to connect to server.(account:(name) SMTP Server:(numbers which
comply with the same settings I've had since April) Error number 0x800ccc0e

Brian Tillman

Oct 1, 2004, 2:51:37 PM10/1/04
pegasus <peg...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Is an SMTP server address 3 numbers.3numbers.3numbers.2numbers?

No. It can be xx.x.x.xxx as well. Each octet can be in the range 0 to 255
(with some exceptions). It can also be a fully qualified domain name, like
smtp.somemachine.somedomain.com or .net. In fact, a FQDN is much much more
common than a specific IP address. The latter will always work. The
former, though, may not. Suppose, for example, your ISP's SMTP router is
named "smtp.bigdomain.net" and, up until now, the IP address for that
machine has been 62.1.16.4. Now suppose that your ISP wishes to use a
bigger, faster machine for mail routing. One thing they might do is to
modify their Domain Name Service (the service that maps FQDNs to IP
addresses) to make "smtp.bigdomain.net" point to the IP address of that
bigger, faster machine, say 62.1.16.10. If you're using a FQDN in your
account settings, your email keeps working. If you have the IP address of
the old machine in your account settings, your mail stops working and you'll
have no idea why.
--
Brian Tillman

Brian Tillman

Oct 1, 2004, 2:54:14 PM10/1/04
pegasus <peg...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Here is the error message I get.
>
> unable to connect to server.(account:(name) SMTP Server:(numbers which
> comply with the same settings I've had since April) Error number
> 0x800ccc0e

Use Google to locate that error. Perhaps one of the articles it finds will
help. Here's the link:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=0x800ccc0e&btnG=Google+Search
--
Brian Tillman

EdH

Oct 4, 2004, 9:47:01 PM10/4/04
Has anyone having this problem just downloaded SP2? I think that SP2 is
causing this problem. I an receive but I cannot send email. I think that SP2
blocks messages at Port 25 (SMTP default).

Brian Tillman

Oct 5, 2004, 2:36:11 PM10/5/04
EdH <E...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Has anyone having this problem just downloaded SP2? I think that SP2
> is causing this problem. I an receive but I cannot send email. I
> think that SP2 blocks messages at Port 25 (SMTP default).

First you have to ascertain if that is the case. I doubt it, but perhaps.
If it is, you should be able to add Outlook and/or that port as an exception
to the firewall.
--
Brian Tillman

JACQSTER65

Oct 7, 2004, 3:39:22 PM10/7/04
I am having a similar problem with Microsoft Outlook
(2000) - except I can send but can't receive - it all
worked fine until the other day , and I didn't change
anything - did you solve your problem and how - please?

Jacqster

>.

Brian Tillman

Oct 12, 2004, 10:32:45 AM10/12/04
cyberelf429 <cyber...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I'm using Outlook 2002 SP2 - I'm having the same problem as
> JACQSTER65 - can't receive "unable to connect to incoming mail
> server" no problems and no changes that I'm aware of (I have
> autoupdate for Windows so maybe there was an update I don't know
> about)

Windows XP SP2 can product this if you don't configure the firewall
properly.
--
Brian Tillman

Celeste Morrow

Oct 14, 2004, 10:35:07 PM10/14/04
I have outlook 2003 with same problems as above; when you say configure SP2
do I just add hte program outlook?

Brian Tillman

Oct 15, 2004, 1:16:26 PM10/15/04
Celeste Morrow <Celest...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have outlook 2003 with same problems as above; when you say
> configure SP2 do I just add hte program outlook?

Yes. I don't guarantee that will solve the problem, but it's one thing that
can lead to it.
--
Brian Tillman

Celeste Morrow

Oct 15, 2004, 2:01:03 PM10/15/04
Thanks Brian, it seems to have worked; I just added outlook under the
security/firewall. so, so far so good. thanks

Sawkins@discussions.microsoft.com Jason Sawkins

Oct 16, 2004, 8:37:02 AM10/16/04
I have the same problem. What is SP2?

Celeste Morrow

Oct 16, 2004, 12:51:02 PM10/16/04
SP2 is the Windows XP service pack two which has a new security feature with
a firewall. If you have XP then your automatic update should have detected
it.

Denise W

Oct 22, 2004, 9:51:01 PM10/22/04
I have Outlook 2003 Ver 11.0 running on windows XP Pro SP1
I can receive but can't SEND from one of the 4 email accounts I'm using.
I've checked "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication." and "Use
same settings as my incoming mail server". When I try to send a "Test
Message" during account setup, I receive the following error:
"Send test email message: The specified server was found but there was no
response from the server. Please verify that the port & SSL information is
correct. To access these settings, close this dialog, then click More
Settings & click on the Advanced Tab."
I've tried checking & unchecking the SSL check box for both the Incoming &
Outgoing server, and it doesn't fix the problem.

You've mentioned listing Outlook in the Firewall as a possible fix to
resolve this issue. Can you tell me how to do that?

Celeste Morrow

Oct 24, 2004, 12:17:02 PM10/24/04
Denise,
I am only aware of these firewall setting in the SP2. I think it was
something "new" that they added. I could be wrong, but I don't recall having
this option when I had SP1. did you try to see if it worked in outlook
exress?

Brian Tillman

Oct 25, 2004, 12:34:38 PM10/25/04
Denise W <Den...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> When I try to send a "Test Message" during account setup, I receive
> the following error: "Send test email message: The specified server
> was found but there was no response from the server. Please verify
> that the port & SSL information is correct. To access these settings,
> close this dialog, then click More Settings & click on the Advanced
> Tab."
> I've tried checking & unchecking the SSL check box for both the
> Incoming & Outgoing server, and it doesn't fix the problem.

Is the port correct?

> You've mentioned listing Outlook in the Firewall as a possible fix to
> resolve this issue. Can you tell me how to do that?

Control Panel>Security Center>Windows Firewall>Exceptions>Add
Program>Browse. Browse to C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office11\Outlook.exe, select it, and click Open.
--
Brian Tillman

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Oct 25, 2004, 1:30:30 PM10/25/04
Are you trying to send through an SMTP server that is not run by the ISP
that you get your connection from? If so, your ISP has probably blocked
connections to any servers but their own (many now do this). You might just
point the SMTP server of the account that is not connecting to one of the
servers that you can send through - they're all just SMTP servers, after
all, and which one you send through doesn't really make a difference.

--
Jeff Stephenson
Outlook Development

"Denise W" <Den...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

jonik

Oct 27, 2004, 6:53:03 AM10/27/04
I am having the same problem. I can receive but can't send from any address.
This only happens with the router attached. Remove it and everything works.
Can't find anything wrong with the router. Restored to before Windows SP2,
uninstalled security. Have done everything but stand on head and stick out
tongue to see if that works. Have had 10 techs scratching heads and guru
remote in and can't resolve. ISP says not their fault. I am desperate.

Brian Tillman

Oct 27, 2004, 9:27:05 AM10/27/04
jonik <jo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am having the same problem. I can receive but can't send from any
> address. This only happens with the router attached. Remove it and
> everything works. Can't find anything wrong with the router.

What type of router? here are known problems with Linksys routers. See
http://snipurl.com/linksysoutlook
--
Brian Tillman

d hollacher

Oct 28, 2004, 3:05:02 AM10/28/04
SBC Yahoo DSL tech.s -- after a long trouble-shoot -- stated that the
version of this problem that ends with the message:

"Send test email message: The specified server was found but there was no
response from the server. Please verify that the port & SSL information is
correct. To access these settings, close this dialog, then click More
Settings & click on the Advanced Tab."
in the final step of the 'Test Message Send' form is the result of XP SP2
conflicts with Outlook 2002 -- and to call 1-800-sp2-help.

I understand that SP2 is not removable -- is there a fix ?

Brian Tillman

Oct 28, 2004, 9:50:20 AM10/28/04
d hollacher <dholl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> SBC Yahoo DSL tech.s -- after a long trouble-shoot -- stated that the
> version of this problem that ends with the message:
> "Send test email message: The specified server was found but there
> was no response from the server.

As I said in response to your other post of this same information, I tend to
doubt the SBC tech because my setup of this same collection of apps (i.e.,
Outlook 2002, XP SP2, and SBC Yahoo! DSL) works just fine.

>I understand that SP2 is not removable -- is there a fix ?

SP2 is removable. First, you can remove it with Add/Remove Programs, second
you can use System Restore to go back to a Restore Point earlier than your
SP2 installation, and third, you can wipe your disk and reinstall XP SP1.
--
Brian Tillman

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Oct 28, 2004, 12:22:05 PM10/28/04
Have you looked at the page that Brian mentioned? I'd be much more inclined
to follow his advice than that of a random tech person whodoesn't support
Outlook on a continual basis. On that Linksys page, also do a search for
"Outlook, MTU" - this sort of problem is often caused by the wrong MTU
value.

--
Jeff Stephenson
Outlook Development

"d hollacher" <dholl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

d hollacher

Oct 28, 2004, 4:45:10 PM10/28/04
Yes, I tried that immediately -- there was no effect.

The new facet of this problem is that its nature
is transient -- I can never send/receive through
both of my accounts -- but occasionally one will
allow sends, and usually the SBC will receive.

I'm at work now, but will try the additional
MTU setiings tonight -- although the presence
of the router doesn't affect the performance,
that is - if I connect directly from the network
card to the DSL modem, the problem remains
the same.

respects,

d.

Edward@discussions.microsoft.com Brian Edward

Nov 1, 2004, 11:09:02 AM11/1/04
I am having the exact same problem...and I just downloaded and installed
Office SP.

I think this is related.

I am authenticating to the right smtp server.

I can send and receive email messages to myself.
I get administrator reply messages to recipients that are not on my domain

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Nov 1, 2004, 12:16:59 PM11/1/04
What version of Outlook do you have? Could you turn on diagnostic logging
(see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q300479) and
post the OPMLog.log file (preferably as an attachment) after you get one of
these messages?

--
Jeff Stephenson
Outlook Development

"Brian Edward" <Brian Edw...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

matombo

Nov 4, 2004, 4:30:01 AM11/4/04
I have had this problem for some time now. (I use Outlook 2003). What is
surprising is that I have resorted to using Outlook Express for sending
messages out which has the same setting as my Outlook 2003 and using Outlook
2003 for receiving mail.
Here is the error message:

Nov 4, 2004, 10:39:22 AM11/4/04

I have been having to same problem as everyone else. I just uodated my comp
with SP2 and all of the sudden my Outlook will only receive and not send
messages -

I fixed this problem by adding Outlook to the firewall exception list. Go to
Start menu, control panel, internet options, firewall, go to the exceptions
tab, add Outlook Express, or Microsoft Outlook and viola, your e-mail should
send.

Jordan Rullo

Brian Tillman

Nov 4, 2004, 10:42:31 AM11/4/04
matombo <mat...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Here is the error message:

Again, it is most likely you're not properly authenticating to your outgoing
server. Since you did state you're using Outlook 2003, click Tools>E-mail
Accounts>Next. Select your account, click Change, then More Settings, and
then the Outgoing Server tab. Try checking the very top check box (My
outgoing server requires authentication).
--
Brian Tillman

Nate

Nov 4, 2004, 11:56:06 AM11/4/04
Brian....or anybody...

I am having the same problem...express works, 2003 doesn't work, I am
running xp pro...without sp2. I have danced a jig with every mail setting
possible...I have talked with my server, they don't require ssl, but do
require authentication...I have everything inputed correctly...I am positive
about that...but it still won't email and it gives me these errors when I
test account settings.... 1. "Send test e-mail message: The specified server
was found, but there was no response from the server. Please verify that the
port and SSL information is correst. 2. "Find outgoing mail server(smtp):
Outlook could not connect to the outgonig mail server. The problem could be
the server name or port, or your server may not support SSL. Verify your port
and SSL Settings....

Nate

Nate

Nov 4, 2004, 12:35:03 PM11/4/04
...I am using xp pro, without sp2. I was using express for email...then I
upgraded and got office 2003. Outlook is not working...I have done
everything, absolutely everything with mail settings...I know all of the info
is right, I have been talking with my server and know what they require and I
have set up the mail just like they need it. I input all of the proper info
and go to test the connection and I get these two error messages__1__ "Send
test e-mail message: The specified server was found, but there was no
response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information is
correct." (ALL OF WHICH I DID, and found that everything was
right.)__2__"Find outgoing mail server (SMTP): Outlook could not connect to
the outgoing mail server. The problem could be the server name or port, or
your server may not support SSL." (I CHECKED the server name and port and
they are right too"... I am at a loss, and starting to get
frustrated....please somebody help, maybe email me directly,
natean...@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Nate

"cyberelf429" wrote:

> I'm using Outlook 2002 SP2 - I'm having the same problem as JACQSTER65 -
> can't receive "unable to connect to incoming mail server" no problems and no
> changes that I'm aware of (I have autoupdate for Windows so maybe there was

> an update I don't know about) I have double a triple checked the mail server
> and I can ping it with no problem. If there's no email in the account not
> problem -it only stops working when there is email in the account (POP3)

Nate

Brian Tillman

Nov 4, 2004, 3:05:48 PM11/4/04
Nate <Na...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> but it still won't email and
> it gives me these errors when I test account settings.... 1. "Send
> test e-mail message: The specified server was found, but there was no
> response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL
> information is correst. 2. "Find outgoing mail server(smtp): Outlook
> could not connect to the outgonig mail server. The problem could be
> the server name or port, or your server may not support SSL. Verify
> your port and SSL Settings....

And did you verify that the outgoing server port is 25? Did you add Outlook
to your firewall's exception list?
--
Brian Tillman

Nate

Nov 4, 2004, 4:34:06 PM11/4/04
..Brian,

thanks for responding....
yeah, I have verified the port setting as 25, but not sure how to add
outlook to my firewall...I wasn't aware I had a firewall....I am using xp pro
without any updates(I don't know if this matters)....I have searched for a
place to add outlook...but to no avail. :(...
still trying to figure this mess out.

Nate

Nate

Nov 4, 2004, 4:59:01 PM11/4/04
...Brian, thanks for answering this post....

....the port is right...I checked...the firewall, if I am not mistaken, is
not on. so it shouldn't matter. I shut it off but outlook is still not
working.

Nate

Brian Tillman

Nov 5, 2004, 5:01:50 PM11/5/04
Nate <Na...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> yeah, I have verified the port setting as 25, but not sure how to add
> outlook to my firewall...I wasn't aware I had a firewall....I am
> using xp pro without any updates(I don't know if this matters)....

If you're using XP Pro with no updates (not even SP1?) then you can't add
exceptions to your firewall. You can only turn it off or on. Why are you
running with no firewall???

The error's coming from your server, so either you server doesn't allow
sending to Hotmail or you have something in your account settings that is
incorrect. Does the domain of the account you're using to send match the
domain of the ISP?
--
Brian Tillman

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Nov 5, 2004, 6:50:45 PM11/5/04
What sort of error message do you get if you actually try to send mail?
(The messages from the "Test settings" button are pretty sanitized/generic,
and aren't as useful, unfortunately...)

--
Jeff Stephenson
Outlook Development

"Nate" <Na...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Nate

Nov 6, 2004, 10:55:03 PM11/6/04
Jeff, the actual error mssage is (0x80042109)
"Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (smtp) e-mail server. If you
continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or
internet service provider."

..K, I have talked with my server....and they say all of the default
settings that OUTLOOK uses, should connect me. I am using COX digital cable,
and am using GNX online as my server... What else could I possibly change
within outlook to make it match my server if there were somthing to change?
That is confusing. Becuase I am almost certain everything is inputed the
right way. And what could my isp have to do with this? And if I didn't have a
firewall, that shouldn't matter (I have put one up though now) So, I am stuck.
And what other questions should I be asking.

Thanks Again.
Nate

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Nov 10, 2004, 1:35:05 PM11/10/04
Your problem is that you're connecting to the Internet with one service
provider (COX) but trying to connect to the SMTP server of another provider
(GNX). What's happening is that COX is blocking your access to GNX's
server. This is unfortunately very common - their claim is that it reduces
spam, but I personally don't think that any reduction in spam that comes
from this is worth the impact on users. You might want to complain to COX
about this.

--
Jeff Stephenson
Outlook Development

"Nate" <Na...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Adams@discussions.microsoft.com Ron Adams

Nov 15, 2004, 3:59:10 PM11/15/04
I have tried all of these fixes and still no email. The firewall in SP-2
will not let me add Outlook to the exeptions list. I am running Windows
Media Center with Office 2003 Pro. When I try to add Outlook to the
exceptions list it just says "Windows firewall cannot add Microsoft Office
Outlook 2003 to the list of exceptions". and that is all it says. I have 2
other computers one is XP home and the other is XP Pro both have SP-2 and I
have no trouble with those.

Suzyc

Nov 16, 2004, 5:19:07 AM11/16/04

"Debbie" wrote:

> I've go the SAME problem. My error number is 554, and ISP
> says it is not them. Tried the same things, and also
> deleted and re-added my accounts, and added updates.
> Nothing worked (yet). Any ideas?

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Nov 17, 2004, 4:10:16 PM11/17/04
ISPs always say it's not them...

What version of Outlook do you have? What is the complete text of the
error message you're getting? 554 is not a standard error code, so I have
no idea what your ISP is indicating...

--
Jeff Stephenson
Outlook Development

Navarre@discussions.microsoft.com Dave Navarre

Nov 18, 2004, 7:25:02 PM11/18/04
I am also having this problem on one machine. It is running XP Pro and
Outlook 2003. I changed the firewall settings to include Outlook.exe, which
failed to change anything (I rebooted to make sure that it wouldn't be fixed
after a reboot). I uninstalled Service Pack 2, failed, rebooted, still
failed. I don't have another firewall installed. I know the problem is not
the account, because I set up a laptop right next to it and accessed the
account (XP Pro, not service pack 2, Outlook 2003).

Anything else it could be?

Ernests

Nov 20, 2004, 1:43:05 PM11/20/04
I installed a Cox DSL service and a Linksys router and developed this
problem.... I looked up the smtp address for Cox in my area, updated Outlook,
an it worked... Pass is around...

Ernest M.

DJaded

Dec 3, 2004, 11:27:01 PM12/3/04
This is redundant, but like apparently everybody else, I can receive mail but
not send. I am using Outlook 2003, I have not installed any service packs, I
do not have a Firewall and I am still connecting via a dail-up modem. I've
gotten to the point that the only "test" that fails is the SEND TEST MESSAGE:

UNABLE TO SEND TEST MESSAGE. PLEASE VERIFY THE E-MAIL ADDRESS FIELD

When I try to send an actual e-mail mewssage, it is returned as
UNDELIVERABLE -

Dec 6, 2004, 11:16:24 AM12/6/04
DJaded <DJa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> This is redundant, but like apparently everybody else, I can receive
> mail but not send.

...snip...

> 'tech.s...@peoplepc.com' on 11/30/2004 10:05 PM
> 550 relaying to <tech.s...@peoplepc.com> prohibited by
> administrator

Usually caused by the sender (you) not properly authenticating to the
outgoing server. Fix this in the "Outgoing Server" tab of your account
properties pages.
--
Brian Tillman

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Dec 10, 2004, 3:02:59 PM12/10/04
What version of Outlook do you have? What sort of mail account(s)? Do you
get an error message when you try to send? If so, what is the text?

--
Jeff Stephenson
Outlook Development

gingergayle

Dec 20, 2004, 4:55:09 PM12/20/04

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> pegasus <peg...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Yesterday I tried to send emails and I got an error message. I could
> > receive but not send. I tried all the usual things several times:
> > turned off the computer, turned off my router and cable modem,
> > checked all my connections, started fresh. The problem persists. Is
> > this a problem with Outlook?

BrianJ

Dec 23, 2004, 5:23:03 PM12/23/04
I'm another victim of the "can't send" problem with Outlook 2000. Just
became a problem in the last few days. I'm on a Linksys wireless network
sharing a broadband connection over Comcast.

Read all the postings on this site and tried:
1. Turn off Norton and all other firewalls and anti-virus programs.
2. Put Outlook as an exception to Firewall
3. E-mailed Comcast support - they referred me to Microsoft.
4. E-mailed another Server account (Micorsoft's bCentral) and was referred
to Comcast.

None of the above attempts changed my situation. Still can't send e-mail
over Outlook 2000 (part of Office 200) but I can receive from Comcast and
from bCentral.

Three other people in my office using Outlook and our wireless network have
the same troubles.

Help????

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Dec 29, 2004, 3:36:27 PM12/29/04
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:23:03 -0800, BrianJ wrote:

> I'm another victim of the "can't send" problem with Outlook 2000. Just
> became a problem in the last few days. I'm on a Linksys wireless network
> sharing a broadband connection over Comcast.

What happens when you try to send? Any error messages?

fakeyjake

Dec 30, 2004, 10:45:02 AM12/30/04
I am having the same problem; started yesterday when messages are "sent",
they go into the outbox but never are sent. I do not get any error message,
and I have not made any changes to my outlook setup. I installed sp2 some
time ago, so this is not the problem. Help!

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Dec 30, 2004, 3:13:16 PM12/30/04
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 07:45:02 -0800, fakeyjake wrote:

> I am having the same problem; started yesterday when messages are "sent",
> they go into the outbox but never are sent. I do not get any error message,
> and I have not made any changes to my outlook setup. I installed sp2 some
> time ago, so this is not the problem. Help!

Are the messages in the outbox in italics? If not, try opening them and
clicking on "Send" again. Not a long-term solution, I know, but it could
help get the mail out...

Ingrid

Jan 4, 2005, 1:27:06 PM1/4/05
Please help...I also can receive e-mail, but cannot send. I have spent the
last several hours trying to figure out what is wrong. This is a home
computer so I don't have a network. I have tried Jordan's suggestion: I
fixed this problem by adding Outlook to the firewall exception list. Go to
> > Start menu, control panel, internet options, firewall, go to the exceptions
> > tab, add Outlook Express, or Microsoft Outlook and viola, your e-mail should
> > send.
But I cannot firnd the Firewall Tab. I have Outlook 2002 XP. Please help
if you have any suggestions.

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Jan 4, 2005, 2:56:18 PM1/4/05
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:27:06 -0800, Ingrid wrote:

> Please help...I also can receive e-mail, but cannot send. I have spent the
> last several hours trying to figure out what is wrong. This is a home
> computer so I don't have a network. I have tried Jordan's suggestion: I
> fixed this problem by adding Outlook to the firewall exception list. Go to
>>> Start menu, control panel, internet options, firewall, go to the exceptions
>>> tab, add Outlook Express, or Microsoft Outlook and viola, your e-mail should
>>> send.
> But I cannot firnd the Firewall Tab. I have Outlook 2002 XP. Please help
> if you have any suggestions.

What version of Outlook do you have? Do you get an error message when you
try to send? If so, what is it?

Brian Tillman

Jan 4, 2005, 5:09:12 PM1/4/05
Ingrid <Ing...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Please help...I also can receive e-mail, but cannot send. I have
> spent the last several hours trying to figure out what is wrong.

Are you properly authenticating to your outgoing server? In Outlook, click
Tools>Email Accounts>Next. Select your account. Click Change, then More
Settings, then the Outgoing Server tab. CHeck the box that says "My
outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication"

> This is a home computer so I don't have a network. I have tried
> Jordan's suggestion: I fixed this problem by adding Outlook to the
> firewall exception list. Go to
>>> Start menu, control panel, internet options, firewall, go to the
>>> exceptions tab, add Outlook Express, or Microsoft Outlook and
>>> viola, your e-mail should send.
> But I cannot firnd the Firewall Tab.

For Windows XP SP2, it's a tab on Control Panel>Security Center>Windows
Firewall
--
Brian Tillman

Bauman@discussions.microsoft.com Bill Bauman

Jan 10, 2005, 3:39:08 PM1/10/05
OK, I keep reading the replies from Microsoft, and I can't take it anymore.
There is clearly a problem with either Windows XP SP2, Outlook 2003 SP1, or
Exchange 2003, or some combination of the like.

I was running Exchange 2000 with Outlook 2003 and everything was sending
fine. My Exchange 2000 server was due to go end of life, so I installed a
new Exchange 2003 server, and now, SMTP is just broken. The only fix I've
derived is to disable all SMTP authentication. I've enbaled Relay for my
internal subnet and will just use VPN as my solution. But this is
ridiculous. Clearly authentication is broken in some manner.

Any ETA on a fix from Microsoft?

I'm willing to be if I go back to Outlook 2003 no SP, and Windows XP SP1 or
no SP1 or Windows 2000 Pro SP3, I won't have any problems. Anyone want to
take that bet?

-Bill Bauman

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Jan 10, 2005, 4:59:46 PM1/10/05
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:39:08 -0800, Bill Bauman wrote:

> OK, I keep reading the replies from Microsoft, and I can't take it anymore.
> There is clearly a problem with either Windows XP SP2, Outlook 2003 SP1, or
> Exchange 2003, or some combination of the like.

No, in most cases ISPs have started requiring authentication and either
have not notified their users or the users didn't read the notification.
It has nothing to do with any of the products you mention.

> I was running Exchange 2000 with Outlook 2003 and everything was sending
> fine. My Exchange 2000 server was due to go end of life, so I installed a
> new Exchange 2003 server, and now, SMTP is just broken.

How? What happens? Are your users connecting to Exchange via an Exchange
account or via POP3/SMTP?

> The only fix I've derived is to disable all SMTP authentication. I've
> enbaled Relay for my internal subnet and will just use VPN as my
> solution. But this is ridiculous. Clearly authentication is broken in
> some manner.

What sort of authentication are you using? Were you using that same form
when you were using Exchange 2000?

Bill Bauman

Jan 10, 2005, 9:39:03 PM1/10/05
Ok, so I was clearly frustrated when I made my initial post. :)

I usually don't customize much in Exchange, as little as possible, really.
I was running E2k on Win2k AS SP3. A hardware failure rushed my upgrade to
the new server, E2k3 on WS03 Enterprise. As far as the authentication type,
well, it didn't change initially, but in efforst to just make things work, I
don't know where I am now.

How? What happens? Are your users connecting to Exchange via an Exchange
account or via POP3/SMTP?

I WANT to use POP3/SMTP. That's how things were working. It makes things
simple for me. I'll explore Exchange native in the future. I have been
using POP3.

What happens now is that POP is successful at authenticating. I installed a
Certificate Authority and am using POP SSL on port 995. I get a warning
every time I connect. That's all fine. We receive mail like champs. But
absolutely no configuration has solved my SMTP sending issue. When I try a
test, or when I configure in Outlook Express, I get a pop-up asking for
user/pass, type it in, pops back up, and there is no end to it until I
finally cancel 2 or 3 times in a row.

That was all with various settings of Authentication enabled in the SMTP
Virtaul Server. Also with and without checking Server Requires
Authentication on the client side. The only thing that seems to work is
disabling all Authentication except for Anonymous. In my Relay settings I've
configured Relay enabled for 192.168.1.0, my internal subnet, and I have all
clients VPN in before sending. This feels like overkill to me.

What's preventing the client from authenticating via SMTP to the server
either via Integrated Windows Auth. or Cleartext, or any of the sort?

I've actually had so many problems with this install of E2k3 I can't even
remember what was what. I am actively warning friends/colleagues not to take
the plunge at this point. I had to contact a colleague at Deloitte just to
figure out that POP wouldn't work without enabling Reversible Encryption on
the my domain GPO. What's up with that?

Back to the point, I guess. I would be MORE than happy to let an MS
representative VNC/RDP into the server and tell me what I did wrong. Heck,
I'd even write it up in layman's terms for the world to follow. If there's a
guide, I haven't found it. Several of the whitepapers from MS don't follow
at all, they say a-b-c, I do a-b-uhhh... what 'c'? I followed the RPC over
HTTP whitepaper, but ummm.. there's no RPC Virtual Directory. Go figure.

Help? :)
-Bill Bauman

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Jan 11, 2005, 1:38:09 PM1/11/05
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:39:03 -0800, Bill Bauman wrote:

> Ok, so I was clearly frustrated when I made my initial post. :)

Really? I hadn't noticed ;-)

> What happens now is that POP is successful at authenticating. I installed a
> Certificate Authority and am using POP SSL on port 995. I get a warning
> every time I connect. That's all fine. We receive mail like champs. But
> absolutely no configuration has solved my SMTP sending issue. When I try a
> test, or when I configure in Outlook Express, I get a pop-up asking for
> user/pass, type it in, pops back up, and there is no end to it until I
> finally cancel 2 or 3 times in a row.

Leaveing all the authentication options checked in Exchange and setting
Outlook to authenticate to SMTP using the same information as POP3, could
you turn on diagnostic logging (see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q300479) and post
the OPMLog.log file after trying to send a message?

> I've actually had so many problems with this install of E2k3 I can't even
> remember what was what. I am actively warning friends/colleagues not to take
> the plunge at this point. I had to contact a colleague at Deloitte just to
> figure out that POP wouldn't work without enabling Reversible Encryption on
> the my domain GPO. What's up with that?
>
> Back to the point, I guess. I would be MORE than happy to let an MS
> representative VNC/RDP into the server and tell me what I did wrong. Heck,
> I'd even write it up in layman's terms for the world to follow. If there's a
> guide, I haven't found it. Several of the whitepapers from MS don't follow
> at all, they say a-b-c, I do a-b-uhhh... what 'c'? I followed the RPC over
> HTTP whitepaper, but ummm.. there's no RPC Virtual Directory. Go figure.

You may want to post to the Exchange newsgroups about these issues - I know
very little about Exchange administration.

FTRufus

Jan 11, 2005, 3:27:05 PM1/11/05

"Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]" wrote:

I have read all 64 comments and tried all suggested solutions but still have
a problem. I am running XP SP-2, outlook 2000, Comcast is the ISP. I can
send and sometimes receive but sometimes not receive. Outlook express works
all the time. I have added Outlook to the firewall exception, imported the
express account into outlook and remioved the express account. I do not get
an error report because outlook just shuts down. The only solution that works
is to use express and export message to Outlook.

Any new ideas?

FTR

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Jan 11, 2005, 6:27:19 PM1/11/05
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:27:05 -0800, FTRufus wrote:

> I have read all 64 comments and tried all suggested solutions but still have
> a problem. I am running XP SP-2, outlook 2000, Comcast is the ISP. I can
> send and sometimes receive but sometimes not receive. Outlook express works
> all the time. I have added Outlook to the firewall exception, imported the
> express account into outlook and remioved the express account. I do not get
> an error report because outlook just shuts down. The only solution that works
> is to use express and export message to Outlook.

Actually, if you were trying ideas in this thread it's no wonder they
didn't work - they were for problems with sending messages, which is not
what you describe...

Do you have any anti-virus or anti-spam software configured to scan your
incoming mail? If so, turn off that scan and see if your problem goes
away.

Hall@discussions.microsoft.com Steve Hall

Jan 13, 2005, 9:57:03 AM1/13/05
Jeff, I'm having the same problem as the other posters. I'm running Outlook
2002 (10.6515.6714) SP3. BTW, it's an occasional problem [maddening].

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Jan 13, 2005, 1:52:56 PM1/13/05
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 06:57:03 -0800, Steve Hall wrote:

> Jeff, I'm having the same problem as the other posters. I'm running Outlook
> 2002 (10.6515.6714) SP3. BTW, it's an occasional problem [maddening].

What is you exact problem? The various posters had different problems.
What sort of account(s) do you have? Do you get error messages?

AnneKS

Jan 18, 2005, 11:41:02 AM1/18/05
I thought I'd join this club. I'm running XP with SP2, Outlook 2002, SBC
Global Yahoo DSL, our webhosting service is STP, and I have a D-Link router.
My incoming and outgoing mail servers were mail.watcoresources.com and 110 is
my incoming and 25 is my outgoing. Again, I can recieve but not send. The
error that I get is 0x80042109. My boss gets a different one - 0x800CCC0F.
I've been working on mine for now. I opened up the firewall settings and
allowed Outlook as an exception. I switched my outgoing server (SMTP) server
to what SBC suggests - smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com (SMTP authentication is
required.) I then tested the account settings and got the error message
"Send test email message: unable to send test Message. Please verify the
E-mail Address field." For "fun" I then tried to send a message - I get a
new error message: "0x800CCC78: Unable to send the message. Please verify
the email address in your account properties. The server responded: ??????"
The email address is mine and is correct!

What do you think? Help!

Gordon

Jan 18, 2005, 12:28:01 PM1/18/05
AnneKS wrote:
> I thought I'd join this club. I'm running XP with SP2, Outlook 2002,
> SBC Global Yahoo DSL, our webhosting service is STP, and I have a
> D-Link router. My incoming and outgoing mail servers were
> mail.watcoresources.com and 110 is my incoming and 25 is my outgoing.

have you tried opening a command prompt and "pinging" both servers?

AnneKS

Jan 18, 2005, 12:39:03 PM1/18/05
Yes. But I'm not really sure what I'm looking for in that procedure.

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Jan 18, 2005, 12:45:08 PM1/18/05
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:41:02 -0800, AnneKS wrote:

> Again, I can recieve but not send. The error that I get is 0x80042109.

This is most likely because SBC is blocking port 25 to all but their own
servers, a common (and lamentable) practice of ISPs nowadays.

> My boss gets a different one - 0x800CCC0F.

That is likely due to an anti-virus program on your boss's computer that's
scanning outgoing mail - lately, at least, this error seems to be tied very
tightly to that. Disable outgoing mail scanning, which may require
uninstalling the anti-virus program, then reinstalling it with the option
disabled.

> I've been working on mine for now. I opened up the firewall settings and
> allowed Outlook as an exception. I switched my outgoing server (SMTP) server
> to what SBC suggests - smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com (SMTP authentication is
> required.) I then tested the account settings and got the error message
> "Send test email message: unable to send test Message. Please verify the
> E-mail Address field." For "fun" I then tried to send a message - I get a
> new error message: "0x800CCC78: Unable to send the message. Please verify
> the email address in your account properties. The server responded: ??????"
> The email address is mine and is correct!

Could you turn on diagnostic logging (see

the OPMLog.log file after trying to send?

AnneKS

Jan 18, 2005, 12:47:06 PM1/18/05
Here are the ping results:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Anne Jones>ping mail.watcoresources.com

Pinging mail.watcoresources.com [64.119.175.105] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 64.119.175.105:

C:\Documents and Settings\Anne Jones>

AnneKS

Jan 18, 2005, 1:01:04 PM1/18/05
Hi Jeff -

I'll send it in a "prettier" format if you want but for now here's the log:

2005.01.18 11:53:36 <<<< Logging Started (level is LTF_TRACE) >>>>
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Successfully initialized the resource manager
2005.01.18 11:53:36 ResourceObject [THIS: 001d45d8]: Created
2005.01.18 11:53:36 ResourceObject [THIS: 001d45d8]: Synchronize called
(flags = 00000031)
2005.01.18 11:53:36 ResourceObject [THIS: 001d45d8]: Synch operation
started (flags = 00000031)
2005.01.18 11:53:36 ResourceObject [THIS: 001d45d8]: StartImport(flags =
00000000, max msg = ffffffff): full items
2005.01.18 11:53:36 ResourceObject [THIS: 001d45d8]: Trying to read
remote URL off the resource
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Looking up handler for POP
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Creating proto handler
{848F8363-04C9-11D3-B8AF-00105A19CDC6}
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Initializing proto handler
{848F8363-04C9-11D3-B8AF-00105A19CDC6}
2005.01.18 11:53:36 ResourceObject [THIS: 001d45d8]: StartImport:
Retrieving Blob
2005.01.18 11:53:36 ResourceObject [THIS: 001d45d8]: StartImport:
pCallback->StartImport
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Callback::ExecuteThread[THIS: 001d5408] (00001000)
returns 00000000
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:36 "CPOPManifestTask: Begin execution")
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Callback::ExecuteThread[THIS: 001d5408] (00001000)
returns 00000000
2005.01.18 11:53:36 ResourceObject [THIS: 001d45d8]: DeleteNukedItems -
Nothing to nuke
2005.01.18 11:53:36 ResourceObject [THIS: 001d45d8]: UploadItems: 1
messages to send
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:36 "POP3: Finding host")
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:36 "POP3: Connecting to host")
2005.01.18 11:53:36 ResourceObject [THIS: 001d45d8]: Trying to read
remote URL off the resource
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Looking up handler for SMTP
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Creating proto handler
{8D2595E0-07C3-11D3-B8AF-00105A19CDC6}
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Initializing proto handler
{8D2595E0-07C3-11D3-B8AF-00105A19CDC6}
2005.01.18 11:53:36 ResourceObject [THIS: 001d45d8]: SendItem:
pCallback->Put
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Callback::ExecuteThread[THIS: 001e08d0] (00001000)
returns 00000000
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001e08d0] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:36 "CSMTPPutTask: Begin execution")
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001e08d0] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:36 "SMTP PH: Connecting to SMTP server")
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Callback::ExecuteThread[THIS: 001e08d0] (00001000)
returns 00000000
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:36 "POP3: Connected to host")
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001e08d0] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:36 "SMTP: Finding host")
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:36 "POP3: <rx> +OK Welcome to MailEnable
POP3 Server")
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:36 "POP3: Authorizing to server")
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:36 "POP3: [tx] USER
ajo...@watcoresources.com")
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:36 "POP3: <rx> +OK")
2005.01.18 11:53:36 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:36 "POP3: [tx] PASS *****")
2005.01.18 11:53:37 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:37 "POP3: <rx> +OK")
2005.01.18 11:53:37 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:37 "POP3: Authorized to host")
2005.01.18 11:53:37 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:37 "POP3: Connected to host")
2005.01.18 11:53:37 Callback::ReportStatus[THIS: 001d5408]
(ulAsynchPhase = RSF_CONNECTED) Progress = 1/3
2005.01.18 11:53:37 Callback::ReportStatus[THIS: 001d5408]
(ulAsynchPhase = RSF_CONNECTED) Progress = 2/4
2005.01.18 11:53:37 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:37 "POP3: [tx] STAT")
2005.01.18 11:53:37 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:37 "POP3: <rx> +OK 0 0")
2005.01.18 11:53:37 Callback::ReportStatus[THIS: 001d5408]
(ulAsynchPhase = RSF_INPROGRESS) Progress = 3/5
2005.01.18 11:53:37 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:37 "POP3: [tx] UIDL")
2005.01.18 11:53:37 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:37 "POP3: <rx> +OK")
2005.01.18 11:53:37 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:37 "POP3: <rx> .")
2005.01.18 11:53:37 Callback::ReportStatus[THIS: 001d5408]
(ulAsynchPhase = RSF_INPROGRESS) Progress = 4/6
2005.01.18 11:53:37 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:37 "CPOPManifestTask: Comparing server
and local blobs")
2005.01.18 11:53:37 Callback::ReportStatus[THIS: 001d5408]
(ulAsynchPhase = RSF_INPROGRESS) Progress = 5/6
2005.01.18 11:53:37 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:37 "CPOPManifestTask: Checking for
messages to delete")
2005.01.18 11:53:37 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001d5408] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:37 "CPOPManifestTask: End execution")
2005.01.18 11:53:37 Callback::ReportStatus[THIS: 001d5408]
(ulAsynchPhase = RSF_COMPLETED, hrStatus = 0x00000000)
2005.01.18 11:53:42 Callback::LogText[THIS: 001e08d0] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2005.01.18 11:53:42 "SMTP: Disconnected from host")
2005.01.18 11:53:42 Callback::ReportStatus[THIS: 001e08d0]
(ulAsynchPhase = RSF_COMPLETED, hrStatus = 0x80042109)
2005.01.18 11:53:42 ResourceObject [THIS: 001d45d8]: Synch operation
completed

AnneKS

Jan 18, 2005, 1:13:04 PM1/18/05
Well, I called SBC Yahoo DSL and they have in fact blocked outgoing mail port
#25. The nice folks over there gave me a case number (not sure what I'm
supposed to do with it...) and told me to go to help.sbcglobal.net and wait
for a phone call. Hmmm....

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Jan 18, 2005, 1:26:50 PM1/18/05
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:01:04 -0800, AnneKS wrote:

> I'll send it in a "prettier" format if you want but for now here's the log:

That looks like a log when trying to connect to the non-SBC SMTP server -
Outlook wasn't able to make a connection. Could you get a log from
attempting to send through the SBC server? I'm curious as to why that
message is being rejected...

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Jan 18, 2005, 1:29:18 PM1/18/05
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:13:04 -0800, AnneKS wrote:

> Well, I called SBC Yahoo DSL and they have in fact blocked outgoing mail port
> #25. The nice folks over there gave me a case number (not sure what I'm
> supposed to do with it...) and told me to go to help.sbcglobal.net and wait
> for a phone call. Hmmm....

If you they're hosting you as a business, usually they'll make an exception
to their port 25 blocking. Maybe that's what that's about...

AnneKS

Jan 18, 2005, 1:41:09 PM1/18/05
Hopefully that call to SBC will take care of it. Below is a document from
their online help desk. I filled out the abuse of service form and they
should remove the filter and all should be back to normal. I hope....

Sure would have been nice if SBC had told us.....

I'll look into the different error message my boss is getting with your
instructions but I think that will clear up too with SBC lifting the filter.
Thanks SO MUCH for your help - invaluable!

And I hope this helps someone else - call your ISP and see if they blocked
port 25!

SBC Internet Services (SBCIS) is taking positive steps to help combat junk
email and spam. In addition to network upgrades, free spam filtering and
anti-virus software, SBC is implementing outbound SMTP port controls to
ensure the SBC network is as reliable as possible for our Members.

SBCIS began filtering Port 25 to separate outbound SMTP mail from dynamic IP
mail. Most SBCIS Members already use SBCIS or Yahoo! SMTP mail servers for
outbound email and will not be impacted by this filter.

Members not using Web mail access or SBC mail servers, such as a private
company or university mail server, will not be able to send outbound email
until one of the following actions are taken:

1. Convert your outgoing mail to the SBC mail servers.
2. Contact your server administrator for information about alternate access
methods allowing connectivity to the 3rd party mail server (i.e., VPN, Web
mail or Outlook Web Access).
3. Request that SBC removes the SMTP port filter from your account: on our
Abuse of Service form, enter the details of your request in the Abuse
Description field.

AnneKS

Jan 18, 2005, 6:01:03 PM1/18/05
The drama continues... I just spoke with SBC again to try and get the block
lifted from our account. "John" told me port 25 was unblocked and the
problem has nothing to do with SBC because our incoming and outgoing are both
mail.watcoresources.com. John hasn't entirely convinced me that the problem
isn't SBC. So I guess I'm back to the drawing board. He says the problem is
with STP, our webhosting and webmail service. I started with them and this
problem last week and they say their system is working perfectly but asked me
to send ping and tracert reports. I sent those but didn't get anywhere.

I will try to get a log from connecting to the SBC server. I tried what you
suggested about taking the outgoing mail scan off of my boss's anti-virus and
we ge the same error message now. I guess that's good! :-)

Anything else you can think of?

AnneKS

Jan 18, 2005, 6:07:02 PM1/18/05
One other thing - I can use webmail directly on the internet just fine - send
and receive. There's just something between it and Outlook.

Gordon

Jan 19, 2005, 3:49:20 AM1/19/05
AnneKS wrote:
>but asked me to send ping and tracert reports. I sent those but didn't
>get
> anywhere.

And what were the results of the Ping command?

AnneKS

AnneKS

Jan 19, 2005, 1:07:02 PM1/19/05
Another update!

All is well! Turns out we needed to reduce the MTU setting on our D-Link DI
604C router. D-Link support was very helpful and we're up and running again.

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Jan 19, 2005, 6:49:41 PM1/19/05
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:07:02 -0800, AnneKS wrote:

> One other thing - I can use webmail directly on the internet just fine - send
> and receive. There's just something between it and Outlook.

Webmail is irrelevant - it uses a different port (80), a different protocol
(HTTP), and probably accesses a different server altogether.

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Jan 19, 2005, 6:54:40 PM1/19/05

Note that ping only tells you that an ICMP packet can get to the
destination computer and that it sent a reply that got back to you. It
does not say anything about whether you can connect on port 25 or whether
there's an SMTP server running at the destination...

Sandra

Jan 19, 2005, 6:55:02 PM1/19/05
I am having a similar "can receive, but not send" problem with Outlook 2000.
I have been using an AOL Broadband connection as my ISP, but access a webmail
account (a 3rd party domain name/server) through Outlook 2000. This has been
working just fine for over a year...when all of sudden, about 10 days ago, I
stopped being able to SEND messages. Whenever I attempt to SEND a message
from Outlook I get the following error message:

"This message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected
by the server. Server Response: 553 your IP (xxx.xxx.xx.xxx) is on our block
list. (Account: 'mail.scottishsportsfutures.org.uk', SMTP server:
'mail.scottishsportsfutures.org.uk', error number: 0x800ccc79"

My 3rd party (web-hosting) server ASSURE me this has nothing to with them.
I believe them because I am able to send emails through my webmail account
and they can send emails to me when they enter my account details onto THEIR
computers. They are about 98% sure it has something to do with AOL putting
my domain name on some kind of spam-preventing block list. They told me to
call AOL and have it unblocked...but AOL also "ASSURE" me that they do not
put IP addresses or domain names on block lists.

The craziest part is -- that I have had ZERO problems using Outlook and AOL
over the past year...and all of a sudden, one day it just stopped sending
messages & starts giving me that same error message. I haven't done anything
to change my account properties/settings. My firewall allows full access to
Outlook.

I'm completely stumped and so very, VERY frustrated!

Can you offer any suggestions? ...pretty please????

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Jan 19, 2005, 7:12:11 PM1/19/05
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:55:02 -0800, Sandra wrote:

> "This message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected
> by the server. Server Response: 553 your IP (xxx.xxx.xx.xxx) is on our block
> list. (Account: 'mail.scottishsportsfutures.org.uk', SMTP server:
> 'mail.scottishsportsfutures.org.uk', error number: 0x800ccc79"
>
> My 3rd party (web-hosting) server ASSURE me this has nothing to with them.
> I believe them because I am able to send emails through my webmail account
> and they can send emails to me when they enter my account details onto THEIR
> computers. They are about 98% sure it has something to do with AOL putting
> my domain name on some kind of spam-preventing block list. They told me to
> call AOL and have it unblocked...but AOL also "ASSURE" me that they do not
> put IP addresses or domain names on block lists.
>
> The craziest part is -- that I have had ZERO problems using Outlook and AOL
> over the past year...and all of a sudden, one day it just stopped sending
> messages & starts giving me that same error message. I haven't done anything
> to change my account properties/settings. My firewall allows full access to
> Outlook.

Sending through your webmail account means nothing - it's a whole different
protocol and server. The only thing you can do at your end is to try
setting up authentication to your outgoing server (on the "outgoing server"
tab for your account).

If that doesn't work, you're going to have to get the help of your ISP in
investigating. If you have a static IP address, it may be that it ended up
on a "black hole" list of IP addresses thought to send or allow spam - many
ISPs use these. If you don't have a static IP, there may be something else
at work...

AnneKS

Jan 20, 2005, 9:35:09 AM1/20/05
Hi Sandra -

I had the same problem with Outlook 2002 and SBC Yahoo DSL. All of a sudden
it just stopped being able to send. The problem for me ended up being the
router of all things. We had to change our MTU setting. It was at 1492, now
it's at 1472 and everthing is back to normal. What kind of router are you
using?

Good luck!

Tim907

Jan 23, 2005, 1:39:01 AM1/23/05
I have the same problems with Outlook 2003. I have 2 different usernames and
every now and then one won't send mail for a month or so then it will go back
to normal. Sometimes it will allow me to send mail anywhere just not hotmail
accounts. I guess I'll have to wait it out since all the admins here are just
as clueless as we are. For such a common/severe problem you think they would
come up with a solution or include this problem in their troubleshooter.
heh... guess it's just easier to give us the run around until it "magically"
fixes itself.

Take some responsibility.

Christina

Jan 27, 2005, 3:05:01 PM1/27/05
Did you ever get your problem solved. I am having the same problem and I am
very frustrated.

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Jan 28, 2005, 5:38:25 PM1/28/05
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:05:01 -0800, Christina wrote:

> Did you ever get your problem solved. I am having the same problem and I am
> very frustrated.

What version of Outlook? What sort of mail account(s)? Do you get any
error messages when you try to send? If so, what are they?

ricmufc

Feb 1, 2005, 12:33:01 PM2/1/05
I am sorry if I am asking for help for the same thing, 'cannot send emails
but can receive'....I am very frustrated right now because none of the
members' replies/answers help and I cannot seem to find out what went wrong.
I never changed any of the settings, the ISP said it is not them because we
did a test run and everything worked on their part. I did some changes to the
registry as suggested by Andrea R. and didnt work either. Did everything
suggested by the community but nothing works! HELP!!!!! I need the Outlook
for my business. I have the Microsoft Outlook 2002 out of the XP.

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Feb 1, 2005, 1:24:22 PM2/1/05
On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:33:01 -0800, ricmufc wrote:

> I am sorry if I am asking for help for the same thing, 'cannot send emails
> but can receive'....I am very frustrated right now because none of the
> members' replies/answers help and I cannot seem to find out what went wrong.
> I never changed any of the settings, the ISP said it is not them because we
> did a test run and everything worked on their part. I did some changes to the
> registry as suggested by Andrea R. and didnt work either. Did everything
> suggested by the community but nothing works! HELP!!!!! I need the Outlook
> for my business. I have the Microsoft Outlook 2002 out of the XP.

What happens when you try to send mail? If you get errors, what is the
exact text?

Trigo

Feb 6, 2005, 12:43:02 AM2/6/05
I am using Outlook 2000. Setting are correct. Error is: The TCP/IP was
unexpectedly terminated by the server. (Account: 'Verizon', SMTP Server:
'outgoing.verizon.net', Error Number: 0x800ccc0f).

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Feb 7, 2005, 7:26:20 PM2/7/05
On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 21:43:02 -0800, Trigo wrote:

> I am using Outlook 2000. Setting are correct. Error is: The TCP/IP was
> unexpectedly terminated by the server. (Account: 'Verizon', SMTP Server:
> 'outgoing.verizon.net', Error Number: 0x800ccc0f).

Do you have any anti-virus software that scan incoming and outgoing mail?
If so, turn off the mail scan, as it often seems to be responsible for
problems like this.

Sandra

Feb 10, 2005, 12:11:03 PM2/10/05
I had this SAME problem about a month ago (could receive, but not send). I
use Outlook 2000 (AOL as an ISP) and was receiving the error message:
0x800ccc79. Then after about 2 weeks the problem just disappeared & Outlook
functioned properly again. Then yesterday (out of the blue) I became unable
to send again!? At first the error message was the same as before
(0x800ccc79), then this morning it switched to this: "Unable to connect to
the server. Error number: 0x800ccc0e."

I have a 3rd party web-based server & have been using AOL as my ISP to send
& recieve messages (from another email account) through Outlook. This has
worked perfectly for about a year, now I'm suddenly having problems.

I've disabled my McAfee Firewall, but not sure if there might other
firewall, email scanning going on that I'm not aware of? I can't figure out
why everything seems to run smoothly for weeks/months & then suddenly
encountered these unexplainable problems. Why am I SUDDENLY unable to
connect to the server??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Sandra

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Feb 15, 2005, 12:25:27 AM2/15/05
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:11:03 -0800, Sandra wrote:

> I had this SAME problem about a month ago (could receive, but not send). I
> use Outlook 2000 (AOL as an ISP) and was receiving the error message:
> 0x800ccc79. Then after about 2 weeks the problem just disappeared & Outlook
> functioned properly again. Then yesterday (out of the blue) I became unable
> to send again!? At first the error message was the same as before
> (0x800ccc79), then this morning it switched to this: "Unable to connect to
> the server. Error number: 0x800ccc0e."

The 0x800ccc79 error probably means you're not authenticating to your
outgoing server. The failure to connect may mean that some firewall is
blocking access, or perhaps that the server to which you're trying to
connect is temporarily down.

jessica

Feb 17, 2005, 12:19:05 PM2/17/05
I can receive but cant send and I looked on the online help. My error message
is 553. And then i change for the outgoing server to require AUTHENTICATION
and so when i send an email, i dont get an error message this time but it
still doesn't send. I can send to my hotmail account but i cant send to other
emails. The SPA thing isnt it, i tried that. I have outlook2003 . When I
click "test account setting", everything says completed including "send test
email". what's the problem. I have smtp as outgoing. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Feb 17, 2005, 3:14:18 PM2/17/05
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:19:05 -0800, jessica wrote:

> I can receive but cant send and I looked on the online help. My error message
> is 553. And then i change for the outgoing server to require AUTHENTICATION
> and so when i send an email, i dont get an error message this time but it
> still doesn't send. I can send to my hotmail account but i cant send to other
> emails. The SPA thing isnt it, i tried that. I have outlook2003 . When I
> click "test account setting", everything says completed including "send test
> email". what's the problem. I have smtp as outgoing. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

What version of Outlook do you have? Do you get any error messages when
you try to send?

Ahmed

Feb 23, 2005, 6:09:06 AM2/23/05
HI Sandra
I have the exact same problem as you, its seems aol is blocking my emails
from being sent, the message i received directed me to the AOL postmaster
hyperlink, which told me to change my outgoing port from 25 to 587. But this
just made no difference what so ever. I was on the phone to AOL last night
for 20 minutes, and the person was about to transfer me to the next level up
(he was adamanat it was nothing to do with AOL but I wasn't going to let them
off that easy), and guess what....yes i got disconnected!!!!!

Going to call them again tonight and hopefully this time i'll get to level 2
and beyond, and who knows maybe they'll admit its something they've done
their end and fix it. I'll keep you informed as to what happens.

LU

Feb 23, 2005, 10:15:01 PM2/23/05
I've got the SAME problem. The msg that I received was:
'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned below could not be
delivered to one or more destinations. The e-mail address is not local host
hotmail.com, not a gateway. ur e-mail message is being returned to you in the
next part of this message. Try to send the message again.

Should you need assistance, please contact your administrator or your
internet service provider.
I made contact with the ISP who told me that the problem of Outlook.

"Debbie" escreveu:

> I've go the SAME problem. My error number is 554, and ISP
> says it is not them. Tried the same things, and also
> deleted and re-added my accounts, and added updates.
> Nothing worked (yet). Any ideas?

LA

Feb 23, 2005, 10:43:02 PM2/23/05
I am using Microsoft Office 2003. I I observed a knew message: error 550.

"Shah" escreveu:

> CHECK your SMTP server address.. It sounds ike you have entered a WRONG
> SMTP server address...
>

> "Brian Tillman" <tillm...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > pegasus <peg...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Yesterday I tried to send emails and I got an error message. I could
> >> receive but not send. I tried all the usual things several times:
> >> turned off the computer, turned off my router and cable modem,
> >> checked all my connections, started fresh. The problem persists. Is
> >> this a problem with Outlook?
> >

> > Make suer you''re properly authenticating to your outgoing server. Since
> > you didn't think it was important to state your Outlook version, no one
> > can
> > tell you exactly how to do that.
> > --
> > Brian Tillman