Outlook 2002 after Maxtor MaxBlast drive copy

BulkHedd

Mar 4, 2005, 7:21:03 AM3/4/05
My Maxtor hard drive started to fail on me so I had to get a replacement
under warranty. Maxtor includes a software package that copies your old
drive onto the new one. I ran this utility and most everything seems fine
except the Office products I have, like Outlook. When I tried to run Outlook
I was told I would have to activate it again and it asked me to insert the
CD. I did that and nothing really happened. I think what's happening is
something to do with the .MSI setup file. When I purchased the first drive,
about a year ago, I ran into the same problem with Plus! Digital Media
Edition. I used online support and I was told to download the Office Cleaner
(I believe) and remove the original setup file.

I tried this with Outlook but I had all kinds of problems. I eventually
reformatted the new drive and did another direct copy. I have not tried to
open Outlook yet. I wanted to get some suggestions first. I also have Word
2001 installed on the system. Word came with the Works Suite when I
originally purchased the computer and Outlook 2002 came with my Pocket PC
upgrade to 2003.

Thanks for any advice.

mna...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2005, 2:22:47 PM3/4/05

mna...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2005, 3:08:42 PM3/4/05
This is really ridiculous. So I went ahead and tried to launch Word
2001. Of course, when it tried to activate it, it couldn't read the
setup file from the CD. So I had to use the MS Installer Cleaner to
remove the install file and re-install Word. After that my other
Office program's icons became the "unknown" icon. I know if I try to
launch Outlook I will be in for a headache. Last time I had to remove
the install file, and then I couldn't check any mail (I got a "The
Operation Failed" error). I also couldn't access the account setup.
It gave me some kind of registry error.

Why is it this hard? The Maxtor application copies over the entire
system. I know my .pst file is there. The only programs giving me
problems after the copy are MICROSOFT programs.

HELP!

Brian Tillman

Mar 4, 2005, 5:06:43 PM3/4/05
BulkHedd <Bulk...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> My Maxtor hard drive started to fail on me so I had to get a
> replacement under warranty. Maxtor includes a software package that
> copies your old drive onto the new one. I ran this utility and most
> everything seems fine except the Office products I have, like
> Outlook. When I tried to run Outlook I was told I would have to
> activate it again and it asked me to insert the CD. I did that and
> nothing really happened.

I had exactly the same problem. The MaxBlast software doesn't properly copy
the C:\Windows\Installer folder. I found that after copying that folder
manually, the problem went away. I reported the problem to Maxtor, but they
said they never heard of it and that was that.
--
Brian Tillman

mna...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2005, 5:16:52 PM3/4/05
Wow, I will try that. Did you have to re-authenticate your
applications?

Brian Tillman

Mar 7, 2005, 10:41:09 AM3/7/05
mna...@gmail.com <mna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow, I will try that. Did you have to re-authenticate your
> applications?

No. I just copied that folder and things worked again.
--
Brian Tillman