Outgoing mails are being scrambled by MIME (recent problem)

Johansen@discussions.microsoft.com Peter Johansen

Dec 15, 2008, 6:14:01 AM12/15/08
Using outlook 2007, I've been using HTML with no problems, but suddenly
regular recipients are getting mails that are being encoded by MIME with lots
of codes, breaks etc.

Andy

Dec 15, 2008, 6:21:25 AM12/15/08
On Dec 15, 11:14 am, Peter Johansen <Peter

Please see message below in this group...

"This is a multipart message in MIME format" - Why do I get this?"

You're not the only one and we have no idea why :(

Roady [MVP]

Dec 15, 2008, 7:02:11 AM12/15/08
Which encoding are you using?
Which mail clients are the receivers using?
Do you have a virus scanner that integrates with Outlook? Disable this
integration and try again.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"Peter Johansen" <Peter Joha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Roady [MVP]

Dec 15, 2008, 7:02:47 AM12/15/08
> You're not the only one and we have no idea why :(
We?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"Andy" <bema...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Andy

Dec 15, 2008, 7:31:03 AM12/15/08
On Dec 15, 12:02 pm, "Roady [MVP]"

<newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote:
> > You're not the only one and we have no idea why :(
>
> We?

Sorry, I was relating to the other thread that started about this
problem. The 'We' was the other people in it.

Your other post mentioned the setup. I have an issue using either
Outlook 2007 or Vista Windows Mail on the Vista OS. None of my
settings have changed since I setup the system.
I use Windows Live Onecare which I do not believe checks outgoing
mail. I did however turn the Virus / Spyware bit off for tests.

I believe my problem can be seen by doing the following ...

Create an email with Outlook but don't send it. Using Windows Explorer
navigate to your email Outbox directory and open the email you just
created in Notepad.
In the headers is a MIME section. Directly under that there should be
a boundary section, something like this.

Now, the emails I create don't have this anymore. They did before
though. I believe its this being missing that causes the issue I am
having.

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

Dec 15, 2008, 9:16:18 AM12/15/08
"Peter Johansen" <Peter Joha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Using outlook 2007, I've been using HTML with no problems, but suddenly

There is some anecdotal evidence that one of the recent Outlook updates may
be the source. Try uninstalling the recent Outlook update to see if the
issue changes.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Roady [MVP]

Dec 15, 2008, 9:17:16 AM12/15/08
Your steps to reproduce only addresses Windows Mail which has nothing to do
with Microsoft Office Outlook. They are 2 completely different applications
whit both their own installations files and data formats.

If it happen in both applications, it's all the more reason to believe that
you have something installed that modifies something at mail protocol level
or integrates with both applications.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"Andy" <bema...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Andy

Dec 15, 2008, 9:28:44 AM12/15/08
On Dec 15, 2:17 pm, "Roady [MVP]"

<newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote:
> Your steps to reproduce only addresses Windows Mail which has nothing to do
> with Microsoft Office Outlook. They are 2 completely different applications
> whit both their own installations files and data formats.

Yes, I only looked at the Windows Mail file. For completeness I should
have checked the Outlook file aswell but I assumed that as the
symptoms are the same and they started at the same time then it was
the same issue.

> If it happen in both applications, it's all the more reason to believe that
> you have something installed that modifies something at mail protocol level
> or integrates with both applications.

It wouldn't say its mail protocol as its not been transmitted at this
time.

Yep, I'd agree its something thats integrated in both applications.
However I have not (knowingly) installed any email pluggins etc. What
is it that I, and other people who have Office 2007, have installed
that causes this problem.

Andy

Dec 15, 2008, 2:34:54 PM12/15/08
A Christmas miracle!

After suffering with this problem all weekend its cured itself. Emails
are correctly formatted now. Very wierd. Have checked the Update
history and it says no other updates have happened today. If it wasn't
for the fact that other people were having the same problems then I
would have thought I was going mad!

Andy

Roady [MVP]

Dec 15, 2008, 3:45:15 PM12/15/08
Did you perhaps reboot? ;-)

It would be more interesting to look at the update log of your virus
scanner; they update almost daily and perhaps this time also with an
application update.

I wonder if the rest uses the same virus scanner as you.