Re: Outlook 2000 to 2003 Professional

Brian Tillman

Oct 12, 2005, 2:49:35 PM10/12/05
Becky <Be...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I recently upgraded my office from 2000 premium to 2003 Professional.
> I lost all my old emails and contacts. They didnt carry over to the
> new office for some reason.
> 1. If possible, How can I find that old data?

Installing Outlook 2003 always creates a new PST and makes it the delivery
location. Your old PST is probably still on your hard drive. Enable
viewing hidden files and folders and seacrh your HD for files ending in
".pst". You should find two of them and they'll probal be in the folder
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. One will
be your old PST and one will be your new one. The default file names will
be "Outlook.pst" and "Outlook(1).pst", but that's not a guarantee you'll see
those files. Outlook will tell you which it is currently using with
File>Data File Management. The other will be your old data.

Now that you know your old PST file name and location, click
File>Open>Outlook Data File and browse to the old PST. Select it and click
OK. You'll now have access to all your old data. You now have two choices:
to simply reuse your old data file as the delivery location (easiest, but
doesn't give you some advantages of the new PST) or to use the new PST and
transfer your old data to it. To choose the former, click Tools>E-mail
Account>Next and in the "Deliver new e-mail to the following location"
drop-down at the bottom, select your old data file. Click Finish, stop and
restart Outlook, and you'll be back to where you were before. That includes
the 2 GB file size limit on your data file. You can close the now-unused
new PST by right-clicking it and choosing Close.

To make the other choice I named (i.e., start using the new PST, which will
give you a much larger storage limit - 20 GB to start, but configurable to
be your whole hard drive, if you want), right-click each of the non-default
folders in your old PST and either choosing Copy or Move and specifying the
new PST root as the destination, or right-clicking and dragging each to the
new PST root and choosing Copy or Move. For the default folders (i.e.,
Inbox, Outbox, Calendar, Contacts, etc.), open each in turn in the old PST,
select the entire contents with CTRL-A (you may have to select one entry
first before CTRL-A will choose all entries and you will have to view some
(like Calendar) in a list view before CTRL-A will select all entries), and
click Edit>Copy to Folder. Specify the corresponding default folder in the
new PST as the destination.

When you're all done copying, you can close the old PST with
right-click>Close.
--
Brian Tillman
> 2. Is there a way to create a backup (export) from the 2000 version
> and make it readable in the 2003 version. I dont wanna make the same
> mistake again.
>
> Thanks for any help!

Becky

Oct 13, 2005, 11:38:02 AM10/13/05
Ok, Thanks this worked great except for the this part: To make the other
choice I named (i.e., start using the new PST, which will
> give you a much larger storage limit - 20 GB to start, but configurable to
> be your whole hard drive, if you want), right-click each of the non-default
> folders in your old PST and either choosing Copy or Move and specifying the
> new PST root as the destination, or right-clicking and dragging each to the
> new PST root and choosing Copy or Move. For the default folders (i.e.,
> Inbox, Outbox, Calendar, Contacts, etc.), open each in turn in the old PST,
> select the entire contents with CTRL-A (you may have to select one entry
> first before CTRL-A will choose all entries and you will have to view some
> (like Calendar) in a list view before CTRL-A will select all entries), and
> click Edit>Copy to Folder. Specify the corresponding default folder in the
> new PST as the destination.

I now have 2 personal folders along w/ 2 of everything else. I have tried
making one a default but it wont let me. What am I doing wrong. I only want i
set of folders under the new 2003 version. It keeps sending all new emails to
the "old" inbox folder. agghh what do I do next?

Thanks Bill!

Becky

Brian Tillman

Oct 14, 2005, 9:58:13 AM10/14/05
Becky <Be...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I now have 2 personal folders along w/ 2 of everything else. I have
> tried making one a default but it wont let me. What am I doing wrong.
> I only want i set of folders under the new 2003 version. It keeps
> sending all new emails to the "old" inbox folder. agghh what do I do
> next?

As I said, in Outlook click Tools>E-mail Accounts>Next. At the bottom
there's a dropdown labeled "Delivery new e-mail to the following location".
In that dropdown, select the PST where you want your messages to be
delivered. Click Finish. Stop and restart Outlook. Finally, right-click
on the "Personal Folders" you don't want and choose Close.

> Thanks Bill!

Who's Bill?
--
Brian Tillman

Becky

Oct 17, 2005, 4:07:03 PM10/17/05
Oh, sorry I mean Brian. I was thinking that but typed Bill. Anyway, Thanks. I
had tried that last week but it didnt work, now it did.

Now my address book contacts are gone. They are no where to be found (when
composing a new message).They are there under the left pg side page contacts
button but not when I try to compase an email. I have tried searching by
going to Tools-Address Book- and then selecting each of the drop down menu
seletions (OutLook Address Book, Accounts, & Bus. Contacts) and none of them
show any of my addresses. Should I just try and re-install Office again to
prevent any problems? Or would this be the problem? Could you please respond
at lovet...@msn.com. Its a pain to try and find my message thru this site
when needed.

Thanks in advance BRAIN!!!!

Brian Tillman

Oct 18, 2005, 10:02:34 AM10/18/05
Becky <Be...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Now my address book contacts are gone. They are no where to be found
> (when composing a new message).They are there under the left pg side
> page contacts button but not when I try to compase an email.

Right-click the Contacts folder on the left side and choose Properties.
Select the Outlook Address Book tab and put a check in the box that says
"Show this fodler and an e-mail Address Book". If you can't then click
Tools>E-mail Accounts>View or change existing directories or address
books>Next. If you see Outlook Address Book there, select it and click
Remove. Click Finish. Stop and restart Outlook. Click Tools>E-mail
Accounts>Add a new directory or address book>Next. Select Additional
Address Books and click Next. Select Outlook Address Book and click Next,
then Finish. Stop and restart Outlook. RIght-click Contacts, choose
Properties, click the Outlook Address Book tab and you should now be able to
check the "Show this folder..." box. Click OK. Your contacts should appear
when you compose a new message and click To.
--
Brian Tillman