Can one change the default formatting and indentation of bullets?

Michael Moser

Mar 10, 2009, 6:58:11 AM3/10/09
There are a few things that I don't like about the formatting in OneNote, e.g. bullets stand out of the text block.

IMHO bullets should be aligned with the left border of the text above and their textual content should be indented. Lower level bullets should then be aligned with that indented text and their text indented twice as much, etc.

I tried to fiddle with the setting for bullets, but the only field I found was "spacing from text", which - even when set down to 0 - still yields bullets that stand out to the left of the f text. And one can't enter negative numbers here...

Can one somehow adjust this as I described and save that as a new default for future new docs./pages?

Michael

Rainald Taesler

Mar 11, 2009, 10:24:43 PM3/11/09
Michael Moser wrote:

> There are a few things that I don't like about the formatting in
> OneNote, e.g. bullets stand out of the text block.
>
> IMHO bullets should be aligned with the left border of the text above
> and their textual content should be indented. Lower level bullets
> should then be aligned with that indented text and their text
> indented twice as much, etc.

Once again I fully agree with you.

> I tried to fiddle with the setting for bullets, but the only field I
> found was "spacing from text", which - even when set down to 0 -
> still yields bullets that stand out to the left of the f text. And
> one can't enter negative numbers here...

I also tried to change thins but it's impossible.

> Can one somehow adjust this as I described and save that as a new
> default for future new docs./pages?

No, there's no way.

Once again:
Post this on the Connect-site and drip the URL in here so that we can
vote for it.

TIA
Rainald

Michael Moser

Mar 12, 2009, 7:47:32 AM3/12/09
Rainald Taesler wrote:

> Once again:
> Post this on the Connect-site and drip the URL in here so that we can
> vote for it.

My pleasure: https://connect.microsoft.com/onenote/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=422861

Michael

Rainald Taesler

Mar 12, 2009, 8:10:04 AM3/12/09
Michael Moser wrote:

>> Once again:
>> Post this on the Connect-site and drip the URL in here so that we can
>> vote for it.
>
> My pleasure:

https://connect.microsoft.com/onenote/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=422861

Thanks!
Been there, done so.

Rainald

Mecalith

Mar 12, 2009, 11:38:01 PM3/12/09
Tab first then type the * .

Knightnet

Mar 30, 2009, 6:01:41 AM3/30/09
I've added my vote plus a request to expose the default formatting.

Regards,
Julian Knight, http://it.knightnet.org.uk

On Mar 12, 12:47 pm, "Michael Moser" <michael-

> My pleasure:https://connect.microsoft.com/onenote/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?Feed...
>
> Michael

Knightnet

Mar 30, 2009, 6:04:08 AM3/30/09
Sorry, should also have said that I have already raised a related
issue:

https://connect.microsoft.com/onenote/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=421878

That is about making more of the formatting options visible and
controllable.

nospam.mo...@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote:

> My pleasure:https://connect.microsoft.com/onenote/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?Feed...
>
> Michael

Knightnet

Mar 30, 2009, 6:04:26 AM3/30/09
Sorry, should also have said that I have already raised a related
issue:

https://connect.microsoft.com/onenote/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=421878

That is about making more of the formatting options visible and
controllable.

Regards,
Julian Knight, http://it.knightnet.org.uk

On Mar 12, 12:47 pm, "Michael Moser" <michael-
nospam.mo...@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote:

> My pleasure:https://connect.microsoft.com/onenote/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?Feed...
>
> Michael

Rainald Taesler

Apr 4, 2009, 1:45:02 PM4/4/09
Knightnet wrote:

> Sorry, should also have said that I have already raised a related
> issue:

https://connect.microsoft.com/onenote/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=421878

> That is about making more of the formatting options visible and
> controllable.

Thanks for posting.
Although initially I had seriously difficulties to understand your
suggested, I finally got it and voted for it as well as leaving a tiny
comment behind.

Rainald

Rainald Taesler

Apr 4, 2009, 2:09:52 PM4/4/09
Hallo Michael,
Me again in this topic having bee discussed already.
Meanwhile I found out something which might be if help for you too:
After having read Knighnet's suggestion in Connect, I checked the
formatting options available in the TaskPane (which I hardly ever use
[to be honest: I hate it], especially in the 12.1" display of my
TabletPC). It seems that I just missed something :-( :-(

Michael Moser wrote:

> There are a few things that I don't like about the formatting in
> OneNote, e.g. bullets stand out of the text block.
>
> IMHO bullets should be aligned with the left border of the text above
> and their textual content should be indented.

Right.
By default the bullets reach out over the text border. This looks ugly
and is not according to the common standards.
But there is a workaround:
Of one indents the first line if a list, in the TaskPane one can change
the indent and by this make the bullet points appear aligned to the text
above. The same is valid for further levels of a lost.

> Lower level bullets
> should then be aligned with that indented text and their text
> indented twice as much, etc.

This can changed in the TaskPane

> I tried to fiddle with the setting for bullets, but the only field I
> found was "spacing from text", which - even when set down to 0 -
> still yields bullets that stand out to the left of the f text. And
> one can't enter negative numbers here...

Yes, but just changing the level and making the 1st level to be the 2nd
level the options are available.

> Can one somehow adjust this as I described and save that as a new
> default for future new docs./pages?

AFAICS these values can not be saved and/wir set as the default for
future lists.

Rainald