Excel 2000 Problem

John Bradbury

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
I have recently been having the following recurring problem with Excel
2000.

When going into a spreadsheet moving the cursor after clicking on a cell
I get, what I can best describe as, a highlighted "drag" box. Problem is
that I cannot then get rid of the highlighted area or input any data.

The only way I can get rid of it is to Control/Alt/Delete and end task -
nut I then get the message that "Excel cannot close the programme" just
as though I had an open dialogue.
I then have to keep trying Control/Alt/Delete until I eventually get a
message that the programme is not responding.
If I then start Excel again I get the exact same thing - and the only
way I can effect a cure is to reboot the computer.

Can anyone help?
--
John Bradbury

kp...@my-deja.com

Dec 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/14/99
In article <kWmhAJAK...@bosservc.demon.co.uk>,
Sure sounds like a stuck SHIFT KEY to me. Try tapping both shift keys
and go back into Excel.

Kent

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

David McRitchie

Dec 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/15/99
Hi John,
Besides Keith's suggestion of a stuck key.

If this is a separated box that is not where the cursor is, try readjusting the column
width to see if it goes away. I don't know if what you see is what I had been
experiencing.

Another possibility is look in the lower right corner to in the small
boxes, if you see "EXT" then hit F8 or Shift+F8 depending on which was invoked.

F8 Extend a selection Turns Add mode on or off

SHIFT+F8 Add another range of cells to the selection; or use the arrow keys to move to the start of the range you want to add,
and then press F8 and the arrow keys to select the next range

Check your short-cut keys in HELP for more information:
better yet put that help information into a spreadsheet so you can find it with FIND.
http://members.aol.com/rexx03/excel/shortx95.htm

Here is a general purpose Excel newsgroup:
microsoft.public.excel.misc

HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel
My Excel Pages: http://members.aol.com/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm

nmknight

Jan 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/3/00
To all affected parties:

Today, we have just experienced not only the same "stuck key" problem, but
also a problem where numbers are intermittantly entered into a cell using
the arrow keys. Let me outline what we have found and done so far:

Computer 1, running Excel 2000 installed under Office 2000 PRO:
a. Experienced "stuck key" problem, both immediately upon opening either
an existing spreadsheet as well as a new blank spreadsheet - also, can
happen unexpectedly after "normal" functioning of arrow keys.
b. The F8 key indicator was not on.
c. Hitting the shift key once released the "dragging" or "painting"
feature.
d. Also, we experienced unexpected and intermittant entry of numbers when
moving around the spreadsheet with the arrow keys. (not the arrow and
number keys on the right side of the keyboard.) Interestingly, the
numbers that were entered via the arrow keys corresponded to the numbers
2, 4, 6 or 8, depending upon which direction key was being used.
e. We installed a new keyboard and rebooted the system.
f. We still experienced the same problems as noted above.

Computer 2, running Excel 2000 installed under Office 2000 PREMIUM:

a. Did not experience any of the above mentioned problems, even when
opening the same files used with Computer 1.

Has anyone else experienced the same problems? Also, any suggestions?

Sincerely,
Scott
N.M. Knight Company

John Bradbury

Jan 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/4/00
At last - someone else who suffers - It's not just me.

Come on Micro$oft - any answers to this bug?

In article <s721mg...@corp.supernews.com>, nmknight
<in...@nmknight.com> writes

>To all affected parties:
>
>Today, we have just experienced not only the same "stuck key" problem, but
>also a problem where numbers are intermittantly entered into a cell using
>the arrow keys. Let me outline what we have found and done so far:
>
>Computer 1, running Excel 2000 installed under Office 2000 PRO:
>a. Experienced "stuck key" problem, both immediately upon opening either
>an existing spreadsheet as well as a new blank spreadsheet - also, can
>happen unexpectedly after "normal" functioning of arrow keys.

Also from trying to drag sheets into different positions

>b. The F8 key indicator was not on.

Agreed

>c. Hitting the shift key once released the "dragging" or "painting"
>feature.

Agreed

>d. Also, we experienced unexpected and intermittant entry of numbers when
>moving around the spreadsheet with the arrow keys. (not the arrow and
>number keys on the right side of the keyboard.) Interestingly, the
>numbers that were entered via the arrow keys corresponded to the numbers
>2, 4, 6 or 8, depending upon which direction key was being used.

Not noticed this one! - yet! Probably because I rarely use the cursor
keys.
Sounds like Excel is recognising the "numeral" cursor keys as if with
NUM LOCK off. If this doesn't happen with anything else it sounds like
another glitch in Excel

>e. We installed a new keyboard and rebooted the system.

Not bought a new one but tried a replacement - no change!

>f. We still experienced the same problems as noted above.
>
>Computer 2, running Excel 2000 installed under Office 2000 PREMIUM:

Same

>a. Did not experience any of the above mentioned problems, even when
>opening the same files used with Computer 1.

Can't comment as I only have the one installation

--
John Bradbury
mailto:j...@farnsfield.co.uk

Chip Pearson

Jan 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/4/00
I've got a Priority Support call into MS about this, because it has happened
to me and one of my clients. I've had the problem in Excel97 and Excel2000,
under both Windows95 and Windows98 (but not Windows2000, yet). Once I
convinced them that I didn't have the F8/Extended Selection mode on, the
best they've done so far is say, "Gee, that's strange." The current status
is that they're "researching" the problem, whatever that means. (I suspect
it means they aren't doing squat with it.)

Another user in the Excel group suggested unplugging and replugging the
mouse and/or keyboard, but that hasn't worked for me. If I get an answer
from MS, I'll post it here.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson