Problems in Office XP with Save As

Horatio

Feb 26, 2005, 12:49:08 PM2/26/05

We've got a Client who has, within the last 1-2 weeks, started having this
VERY annoying problem.

Very simple 2 PC peer-to-peer network, 1st PC has XP Home SP2, 2nd PC (the
"server") is running Win 98SE.

THE XP Home PC is a Dell 8200, running Office XP Pro.

The problem is that every time that a file is opened from the Win 98 PC, it
is NOT possible to use Save As to save a copy BACK to the Win 98 PC. Instead,
we get the following error:-

The folder 'M:\etc' isn't accessible. The folder may be located in an
unavailable location, protected with a password, or the filename contains a /
or \"

If we open a file, Save AS WILL allow a copy to be saved to the LOCAL PC.

If you do this, then you CAN then Save AS back to the Win 98 machine !

However, as our Client routinely bases new documents on existing ones, this
is a very "kludgey" way of working - and things worked fine until a couple of
weeks ago.

FACTS

The latest service packs etc have been applied to both Windows and Office

ALL office applications appear to be impacted, not just Word.

It makes NO difference whether the share on the Win 98 machine is accessed
via UNC or a mapped drive

The XP Home machine has Norton Internet Security 2004 Pro installed, but the
problem persists even if this application is uninstalled.

If The XP Home machine opens a file from another XP machine, it can Save As
back to that machine WITHOUT having to do the intermediate save to a local
drive

When the problem occurs, tests from Windows Explorer show that the share is
still available and we can, for example, create and modify text documents on
the Win 98 PC.

As such, it appears to specifically relate to Office XP "Saving As" to Win
98 shares.

I've found one or two other posts on other Boards on the web with people
also reporting this problem, but nobody has yet offered a solution.

Any help or guidance would be GREATLY appreciated, as both my Client - and I
- are going grey quickly !

TIA

Horatio
--
Don't be afraid to take big steps.
You can't cross a chasm in two small jumps.

garfield-n-odie

Feb 26, 2005, 5:25:38 PM2/26/05
If you installed Windows XP update KB885250 "MS05-011: Vulnerability in
server message block could allow remote code execution", try
uninstalling KB885250 in Start | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs.

Horatio

Feb 27, 2005, 2:45:03 AM2/27/05
Hi

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, this is not listed as an entry within Add/Remove programs, so
unless it has been "rolled up" into another update ot service pack, then it
would appear as if the problem lies elsewhere.

Thanks once again.

Kind regards

Horatio

Horatio

Feb 28, 2005, 5:07:02 AM2/28/05
Hi

Sorry all, fell for the first rule of IT - NEVER believe the word of a user !

The Client did not have the "Show updates" checkbox ticked in Add/Remove
programs, so led me to believe that Hotfix KB885250 was not installed.

Having walked things through with them on the phone this morning, we have
now uninstalled KB885250 and the problem is fixed.

Many thanks for your assistance, garfield-n-odie...and sorry for any time
wasted by this post.

Regards

Horatio

udi