question about license agreement

scurts4000

Sep 1, 2004, 4:36:23 PM9/1/04
Is it legal to install my copy of Office XP which I
purchased and installed on my primary PC on a laptop PC
which I take to work with me? If so, what steps do I
need to take? Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Peter Wilkins

Sep 1, 2004, 6:51:52 PM9/1/04
>.
I don't know for sure - I was told it is OK in another
newsgroup but I can find nothing supporting this in the
MS KB and the license info on the boxes says only one
computer.

I have Office XP on my desktop and bought Office 2003 for
my new laptop - now I find Office 2003 has a feature I
dearly want on my desktop but it isn't in Office XP.

So I want to install Office 2003 on my desktop but don't
want to buy a THIRD copy of office!

I hope someone out there has the answer and can support
it with a reference!

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Sep 1, 2004, 7:06:33 PM9/1/04

I think it's legal.
I found this reference in the Office Setup newsgroup:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/2/5/12538ba0-
3d24-4f00-aab1-dd9ff4aacfc9/en_client_eula.pdf

(fix the wordwrap to go to this URL)

in jest@yahoo.com joust in jest

Sep 2, 2004, 6:14:32 PM9/2/04
That depends upon the type of Office that you have (Retail, OEM, Student and
Teacher). To View the EULA for your type, follow these instructions:

Office 2002 (a.k.a. Office XP)
1. Open an MS Office app (word, excel, etc.)
2. in the "Type a question for help" box, type "EULA", press
"Enter"
3. Click on the hyper-link "View the End-User License Agreement"
4. In Microsoft (app) Help, click the "Contents" tab.
5. Click the "+" in front of the book "Microsoft (app) Help" to
expand the menu
6. Click the "+" in front of the book "End-User License
Agreement"
7. Click on ""End-User License Agreement for Microsoft Software"

Office 2003
1. Open an MS Office app (word, excel, etc.)
2. Click "Help"
3. Click "About Microsoft Office (app)"
4. Beneath the "Licensed To" box, Click on the hyper-link "View
the End-User License Agreement"
5. Read the agreement

In either case, read "1. GRANT OF LICENSE", specifically the section
"General License Grant to Install and Use Software Product."
If YOUR license states "You may make a second copy of the Software Product
and install it on a portable Device for the exclusive use of the person who
is the primary user of the first copy of the Software Product."

Having read the EULA specific to your own software, you are now best suited
to answer your own question. ("portable device" = laptop)

steve

"scurts4000" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message