7.0 Recieve files

Brennen

Apr 10, 2005, 10:42:39 PM4/10/05
I cant receive files with MSN, it says that its a virus, i
checked the options and everything looks good.

Good work Microsoft, keep releasing software with bugs in
it. You have been doing it for 15 years now.

D@annyBoy

Apr 10, 2005, 10:49:43 PM4/10/05
I believe that there is a hack from JK

--

D@nnyBoy
Have you tried posting your problems

and please don't bother to send me private mail
because I don't check my mailbox regularly

"Brennen" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Apr 10, 2005, 11:01:09 PM4/10/05

This isn't hacking Messenger!
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert

"Ben B. [US]" <NOSPAM.bb...@hotmail.com.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> Or you can use the File Sharing Activity and not "hack" MSN Messenger.
>
> --
> Ben B. [US]
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnews...@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings Brennen,
>>
>> Actually this functionality is a part of SP2 which Messenger is now exploiting. You can
>> turn this off by downloading and running the following fix:
>> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/redir/extfix.asp
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Ben B. [US]

Ben B. [US]

Apr 10, 2005, 11:30:26 PM4/10/05
It's a violation of Terms of Use:

"Do not provide your Service account and password to third parties. You may
not authorize any third party to access and/or use the Service on your
behalf. You may also not use any automated process or service to access
and/or use the Service such as a BOT, a spider or periodic caching of
information stored by Microsoft. You may not use any software or services
with Microsoft software or authorized third-party software which modifies or
reroutes, or attempts to modify or reroute, the Service. You may also not
use any software or hardware that reduces the number of users directly
accessing or using the Service (sometimes called 'multiplexing' or 'pooling'
software or hardware)."

--
Ben B. [US]

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnews...@jonathankay.com> wrote in message

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Paul R. Sadowski [MVP]

Apr 10, 2005, 11:57:34 PM4/10/05
Hello, Ben:
On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:30:26 -0700: you wrote...

BBU> It's a violation of Terms of Use:

It's a registry hack. Google...
LowRiskFileTypes registry

Not sure I'm keen on it but it doesn't violate any TOS.

Regards, Paul R. Sadowski [MVP].

Nick

Apr 10, 2005, 11:58:43 PM4/10/05
Hi Jonathan, is it documented on your site what this "fix" does
specicially -- ie reg hack or whatever? I'd be interested in knowing first,
people typically don't blindly install .exes without wanting to know more --
well least I do :)

--
Nick W
GamerTag: StalkerofHades

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnews...@jonathankay.com> wrote in message

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Apr 11, 2005, 12:12:04 AM4/11/05
Hi Nick,

Yep, simple registry entry--
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations
The it's a string called "LowRiskFileTypes"

If you Google it, you'll find more info. As well, if you click Start, then Run, enter
"secpol.msc" and click OK, under the "Software Restriction Policies" (you'll probably have to
create a new policy under the Action menu first), you can adjust a lot of these settings,
including "Designated File Types".

Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert

mae

Apr 11, 2005, 12:22:45 AM4/11/05
Download the file and view it in Notepad.
--
mae

D@annyBoy

Ben B. [US]

Apr 11, 2005, 12:43:57 AM4/11/05
I don't see this registry value.

--
Ben B. [US]

Ben B. [US]

Apr 11, 2005, 12:43:46 AM4/11/05
Doesn't work.

--
Ben B. [US]

"mae" <agra...@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

D@annyBoy

MiKi

Apr 11, 2005, 1:19:32 AM4/11/05
Exactly my problem! I get a "potentially unsafe"
message. Just send the file, Norton will tell me if it's
safe or not. :S

>.

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Apr 11, 2005, 8:08:50 PM4/11/05
Hi Danny,

Sure is, right here:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/extfixundo.reg

Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert

"D@annyBoy" <origin@ld@nny...@gmail.com> wrote in message

D@annyBoy

Dawn

Apr 11, 2005, 9:40:41 PM4/11/05
wow, thanks jonathan! solved my prob!

i tried to feedback to microsoft about this problem but
they have not replied me after 2 days (even though it said
I would get a reply in 24 hours. huh.)

Microsoft team should buck up!

>.

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Apr 12, 2005, 10:16:07 AM4/12/05

Well, it is a "feature" per say... but anyway.

Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert

"Dawn" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

D@annyBoy

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Apr 12, 2005, 11:29:38 AM4/12/05
"D@annyBoy" <origin@ld@nny...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> let's hope "what his name is" reads my post and your response

I wonder who you mean... *extreme grin*