Cash transactions in checking account

tony

May 8, 2008, 9:21:57 AM5/8/08
Is it possible to enter out-of-pocket cash transactions in a checking
or credit card account without affecting the account balance while
showing them in category reports?

T.

Andy

May 8, 2008, 9:41:17 AM5/8/08

Anything that you enter in your Checking or Credit Card account
register will affect your account balance. If you only want these
transactions for reporting purposes you could create a cash account in
money and add your cash transactions here and categorize them. This
way not affecting your actual checking account or credit card account
balances. But can see them in the reports portion.

tony

May 8, 2008, 1:05:42 PM5/8/08
On May 8, 6:41 am, Andy <andylloy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anything that you enter in your Checking or Credit Card account
> register will affect your account balance.

I was hoping to discover a neutral classification (neither income nor
expense), but could find nothing like that in Help (and for good
reason...).

> If you only want these
> transactions for reporting purposes you could create a cash account

Certainly a work-around solution. Thank you,

T.

Cal Learner-- MVP

May 8, 2008, 1:13:06 PM5/8/08
In microsoft.public.money, tony wrote:

You could enter a Split transaction with a total of zero.

Dick Watson

May 8, 2008, 2:35:04 PM5/8/08
A Category (classification is a different thing entirely) that is neither
income nor expense is not really a category. There are some. Loan Payment,
Paycheck, Transfer, and Credit Card Payment all are what are called by Money
"Special Categories". They all are more or less forms of "transfer". A
Transfer is a transaction for moving money from one account in Money to
another. For instance, a payment to your credit card account coming from your
checking account.

I'm assuming that this spending you are asking about involves real money you
had but don't have anymore. That makes it an expense. Spending it makes you
poorer.

If you are asking about the case of a cash withdrawal, there are several
ways people handle these. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=93 for some
ideas.

If you are asking about the case where you got money from a friend for
something and promptly spent it--say "here's $10, go get me a Starbucks, will
you?"--then Cal's suggestion of a split that has $10 coming in and $10 going
out for a net of $0 is another way.

Post more details of what you are trying to accomplish if this doesn't get
you off on a useful track.

"tony" wrote:

> On May 8, 6:41 am, Andy <andylloy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was hoping to discover a neutral classification (neither income nor
> expense), but could find nothing like that in Help (and for good
> reason...).

tony

May 8, 2008, 5:45:55 PM5/8/08
On May 8, 11:35 am, Dick Watson <littlegreenge...@mind-enufalready-

spring.com> wrote:
> A Category (classification is a different thing entirely) that is neither
> income nor expense is not really a category.

And there's the rub..

> There are some. They all are more or less forms of "transfer".

What I was looking for is not a transfer.

> I'm assuming that this spending you are asking about involves real money you
> had but don't have anymore. That makes it an expense. Spending it makes you
> poorer.

That is absolutely true in absolute accounting terms. However, in the
case I posted, I'm not concerned with how much I'm absolutely worth,
but with how to keep track of out-of pocket expenses (like cash
transactions at the grocery store when I do not want to put a small
purchase on a charge card, but I nevertheless want to keep track of
how much I spend on groceries).

T.

reef150

May 8, 2008, 9:39:00 PM5/8/08
Why not create a "Cash" account, and then enter transactions there - when you
get cash from the ATM or otherwise you can record it as a transfer to the
Cash account, or just record it in the checking (or savings) account as 'Cash
Withdrawal;

This will let you track things in categories, or not - your choice then.....
and keeps the detail out of your checking account if that's what you want.

tony

May 8, 2008, 10:22:50 PM5/8/08
On May 8, 6:39 pm, reef150 <reef...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Why not create a "Cash" account, and then enter transactions there - when you
> get cash from the ATM or otherwise you can record it as a transfer to the
> Cash account, or just record it in the checking (or savings) account as 'Cash
> Withdrawal;

At Andy's suggestion, I did just that and it works. Transactions in
the cash account can be categorized and do appear in reports.

While discussing this question, it occurred to me that it would be
useful is to have a marker for handling this problem. Sure enough, I
poked around, to discover that the "void" function (right click on
transaction, mark as void) does exactly what I want in the most
straightforward manner.

Thank you one and all for your attention and helpful indications.

T.

Dick Watson

May 8, 2008, 10:28:42 PM5/8/08
Maybe I'm missing something. It seems entirely obvious that you WANT to do
exactly what many of us do but don't want to make just a minor few extra
transactions.

Many of us create an account JUST for these kinds of transactions. Mine is
called Pocket Change. I enter and categorize transactions--to, say, keep
track of how much I spend on groceries. When we get cash--from an ATM or
cashing a check or whatever--we Transfer this money into this Money account.

Apparently you want to track these kind of cash transactions but don't want
to do what is it exactly?

Perhaps you are using Money Essentials? (MEss to some of us.) Perhaps you
are used to Essential Register? Perhaps your usage model for Money is
entirely centered on accounts setup and enabled for downloaded account data?
If any of these are true, you need to know that real editions of Money with
the real (i.e., "Advanced") register model permit any account to be created
entirely without downloaded transaction data and manipulated to do exactly
what it seems you are interested in doing. Indeed, before Money went off on
this downloaded transaction data jag, that was THE ONLY usage model it
supported.

"tony" <to...@well.com> wrote in message
> [I]n the

tony

May 8, 2008, 11:13:02 PM5/8/08
First of all, please disregard the misinformation in my last message.
Overenthusiasm...

On May 8, 7:28 pm, "Dick Watson" <littlegreenge...@mind-enufalready-

spring.com> wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something. It seems entirely obvious that you WANT to do
> exactly what many of us do but don't want to make just a minor few extra
> transactions.
>
> Many of us create an account JUST for these kinds of transactions.

Which is what I did to my GREAT satisfaction.

> Apparently you want to track these kind of cash transactions but don't want
> to do what is it exactly?

I am doing exactly as suggested here regarding a cash account. No
problem.

T.