Office 2004 programs won't launch

morto...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2006, 2:58:56 PM10/16/06
My wife has a Macbook that has consistantly had trouble launching any
office application. If you double click on ANY office application
(including updaters or install scripts), the icon bounces for a moment
and then nothing (it goes back it's original state).

I have tried everything I could think of, including:
- Remove all copies of office any office files I can find
- repair permissions with disk utility
- Reinstall (can only drag copy to reinstall as the install program
exhibits the same behavior)

Rinse and repeat...

This is causing a great deal of grief (I suggested that she buy the
Mac)

Any thoughts or ideas?

David

picard...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2006, 6:16:15 PM10/16/06
Have you tried creating a new user account, logging in w/that and
trying again? What exact version of Office are you running? Doing a
Command-I (Get Info) on a couple of the app files/executables should be
enough for us.

What exact version of Mac OS is on your machine? (Go to Apple menu >
About This Mac)

Also, since you have an Intel based Mac, have you tried
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303677?

Let us know if any of this helps/works.

CyberTaz

Oct 17, 2006, 9:29:04 AM10/17/06
Hi David -

When you say " - Remove all copies of office any office files I can find"
that may be where your problem is ... *you* (nor most anyone else) can find
much of what needs to be removed due to prior versions or Test Drives.
Office can't be removed by simply dragging stuff to the Trash.

Use the Remove Office utility in the MS Office 2004 folder - I believe the
subfolder name is "Extra Tools" - or from the 2004 Installation disk. *It*
knows where to look for the bits & pieces. Then reinstall & use Disk
Utility - Repair Disk Permissions.

You can also thake a look at the Troubleshooting Guide available here:

http://word.mvps.org/Mac/TroubleshootingIndex.html

BTW - Is this a PPC Macbook or an Intel? Any networking or add-ins involved?
Problems with other software?
--
HTH |:>)
Bob Jones

<morto...@gmail.com> wrote in message

john.r...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2006, 7:54:01 PM10/18/06

John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Oct 20, 2006, 6:47:53 AM10/20/06
I think he means this bit :-)

John,

I found the solution! First permissions were fine on the computer.

The problem was ... (drumroll please) .....

Unsanity Haxies!

I had Fruitmenu and Windowshade X. They have a known issue with
Rosetta. After these were uninstalled, everything worked fine.

Thanks for the help,

John

On 19/10/06 9:54 AM, in article
1161215641.8...@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com,
"john.r...@gmail.com" <john.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <jo...@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

mortonmanor

Oct 20, 2006, 12:39:37 PM10/20/06
Unfortunately this is a pretty vanilla install. There are no Haxies.
The only major additions are parallels and quicksilver.

David