Powerpoint & Error Reporter Hangs when Opening Certain Files

niallerc

Jul 21, 2005, 10:12:27 AM7/21/05
OS 10.4.2/Powerbook G4 1.4ghz/1gb RAM
Office 2004

Hi All

Slight problem that I can't figure out. PowerPoint 2004 hangs when
opening "some" files about half way through the status bar it will just
lock up, the error reporter launches and that then hangs. I've
uninstalled/reinstalled, not updated, then applied the lates updates
but to no avail. Now the presentations that we try to open on the
powerbook which hangs powerpoint open perfectly on other macs in the
office. Thought it might be fonts but then again I've fontdoctored them
they all seem fine and we've all got the same installed fonts, any
ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm now out of ideas. Can't even
find any information pertaining to powerpoint in the console logs to
maybe hint at a clue as to what's happening.

Regards

Niall

nospam...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2005, 8:25:27 PM7/21/05
Are you sure that Powerbook and all the other Macs have "all the same
installed fonts"? By latest updates, are you running PowerPoint
11.1.1? Are all the other Macs that can open the presentation
successfully running the same version of PowerPoint?

On the problematic Powerbook, can you go to Font Book and see if the
font named Symbol is present and enabled? If not, try enabling it.
Please report back on whether this helps.

niallerc

Jul 22, 2005, 4:40:33 AM7/22/05
Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it didn't have symbol installed so
I have done but it still is not working. It is the latest version
11.1.1. My gut instinct leans definitely towards a font issue as this
is the only machine that I used the Extensis "Best Practice" manual. I
think I"ll install fonts again from the OSX disc and see how that works.

Andrew Chiang [MSFT]

Jul 25, 2005, 10:24:36 PM7/25/05
Hello Niall,

If you're still encountering the crash/hang, (assuming you're able to get to
the log) can you please post the contents of the error reporter log? It
would help us in isolating the issue.

Thanks,
Andrew

"niallerc" <niall.c...@enterpriseig.com> wrote in message

niallerc

Jul 26, 2005, 7:37:19 AM7/26/05
Unfortunately Andrew I'm unable to access the log, the crash reporter
hangs when powerpoint hangs and there doesn't seem to be any evidence
of the crash in the cosole logs.

Andrew Chiang [MSFT]

Aug 1, 2005, 7:08:10 PM8/1/05
Hello Niall,

Can you do this?
1. Quit PowerPoint (if it's already running)
2. Go into the Office folder under the folder where Office 2004 is
installed
3. Start Microsoft Error Reporting,
4. Go to Microsoft Error Reporting->Preferences, uncheck Enable Microsoft
Error Reporting
5. Command-Q out of Microsoft Error Reporting
6. Open up one of your problematic files on the machine that's hitting the
problem

You should then get a dialog "The application PowerPoint quit
unexpectedly..." w/the buttons Close, Report... and Reopen. Click Report.
Copy and paste the stuff inside Problem and system information and either
post it here or email it to me.

We should be able to take a look at it.