IE8 and usenet shortcut

David Haggas

Jan 7, 2010, 5:14:10 AM1/7/10
I had a Usenet shortcut in my IE favourites and it worked fine - clicking on
it immediately opened OE6 and downloaded headers. Today the link doesn't
work although it works in both chrome and firefox. Can anyone explain this
minor inconvenience?

Thanks
David

rob^_^

Jan 8, 2010, 2:03:31 PM1/8/10
Hi David,

You do not have IE set as your default Web Browser/Protocol handler for the
news: protocol

Nothing to do with IEAK.

Regards.

"David Haggas" <david...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

David Haggas

Jan 9, 2010, 5:52:20 AM1/9/10

"rob^_^" <iecust...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Thanks Rob. IE is my default browser. I'm not sure how to make it my
protocol handler for news: The link worked when I upgraded from IE6 now it
suddenly does not! Explorer will open Outlook express when I click the
favourites news: link but internet explorer 8 won't. Sorry to get the wrong
group.

David

rob^_^

Jan 9, 2010, 7:27:27 PM1/9/10
Hi David,

Unfortunately IE8 will not launch news: protocol Internet Shortcuts
(favorites links) nor program links (.lnk extensions).

View the shortcut's properties and copy and paste the url into the IE
Address bar and press enter.

It should launch Outlook Express (or whatever is your default news reader
is)

You will find your default News reader program for IE on the Programs tab of
Internet Options.

NP. posting once here. I hope that fixes you up and saves you reposting to
the Outlook Express NG.

Regards.

"David Haggas" <david...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

David Haggas

Jan 11, 2010, 5:21:59 AM1/11/10

> Hi David,
>
> Unfortunately IE8 will not launch news: protocol Internet Shortcuts
> (favorites links) nor program links (.lnk extensions).
>
> View the shortcut's properties and copy and paste the url into the IE
> Address bar and press enter.
>
> It should launch Outlook Express (or whatever is your default news reader
> is)
>
> You will find your default News reader program for IE on the Programs tab
> of Internet Options.
>
> NP. posting once here. I hope that fixes you up and saves you reposting to
> the Outlook Express NG.
>
> Regards.

Copied and pasted URL and it still won't lauch OE - yet Chrome and Firefox
will. Something went missing from my IE8. It did work now it does'nt so I'll
uninstall and then re-install the browser and see if that works.

Thanks
David

Robert Aldwinckle

Jan 11, 2010, 11:51:30 AM1/11/10

"David Haggas" <david...@compuserve.com> wrote in message news:8bCdnYHmg9duLtjW...@bt.com...
>I had a Usenet shortcut in my IE favourites

What does that mean? Is it an Internet Shortcut (aka .URL file)
or a Desktop shortcut (aka .lnk file). In the latter case this would have
nothing to do with IE at all. E.g. do you have Favorites in your Start menu?
Does the shortcut (whatever it is) work from there? If not does your literal
"Usenet shortcut" (e.g. news:// URL) work from the Run... dialog?

> and it worked fine - clicking on
> it immediately opened OE6 and downloaded headers. Today the link doesn't
> work although it works in both chrome and firefox.

> Can anyone explain this minor inconvenience?

You need to work through the details. E.g. is IE your default browser?
(If not I'm not sure if the .URL extension is always associated with ieframe.dll
but if not and if you're using a .URL file your symptom would have nothing to do with IE.)
Is OE your default and only news reader? If it's not your only news reader
e.g. if you have WLMail installed you might have to do some registry hacking
because if WLMail was ever your default news reader it sets some overrides
in HKCU that OE never resets, setting only the same values in HKLM.
Use ProcMon to check for such factors.

Note that if you used an explicit Desktop shortcut, instead of
an InternetShortcut (or even an (implicit) news:// URL), you wouldn't
have any worry about which news reader was your default Mail handler
or which browser was your default or how one browser affects another,
etc.

> Thanks
> David

Good luck