WhoAmI and Infopath 2003

Mike

Jun 11, 2006, 10:12:37 PM6/11/06
Can somebody point me to a resource for figuring out how to utilize the
WhoAmI web service to determine the username of the person filling out the
form in InfoPath 2003? I'm finding lots of links to articles on how this
isn't going to be an issue in 2007, but I still need to get it done in 2003.

Thanks,
Mike

Kalyan Reddy

Jun 11, 2006, 11:02:01 PM6/11/06
Hello Mike,

Did you tried this link?
http://blogs.msdn.com/davfries/archive/2004/06/29/169043.aspx
I hope it will be of some help to you.

--
Kalyan Reddy
Visit http://www.autonomysystems.com

clay...@hotmail.com

Jun 12, 2006, 2:11:21 PM6/12/06
I am also in need of this very same thing but so far the only thing I
can find is to use system calls to the local comuputer but then you
open up a whole security thing with digital signitures and trusts.
The User Profile Service gives you the ability to look at user data but
no way to identify the current user opening the form or accessing
Sharepoint to get the form so i do not see how it can work in this
scenario.
one thought I had is kind of cumbersome but maybe would work is to have
your main form save a copy or another form to a library and then you
could pull from sharepoint the user who saved the form and therefore
get at the username in a round about way. I can't wait till 2007 but i
know it is going to be awhile until they upgrade here so I need
something else in the meantime.

i am going to research this and I will pot back if i find anything.

Clay

clay...@hotmail.com

Jun 12, 2006, 2:43:34 PM6/12/06

OK - Success.

I have created a button but it could be something else but mine is a
Start button that when pressed retreives the user name of the current
user.

I created a data connection to the Sharepoint Library of the form to
receive data. I selected the modified by field and the title. Called
this connection "Get Files"

I created a submit that used rules and under the rule I have three
actions.

1st is a submit data connection to the same library which keeps the
form open and saves a copy called start. This could be a different
utility library too. This will put a black form file in the document
library.
2 nd is a action to Query the Data Connection "Get Files"
3 rd I update my field with the value of modified by in the data
connection "Get Files". I also put a filter so that it takes the
modified by only when title = start.xml

I would think I will also put a filter on the Document Library to hide
this start.file from the public's view. Now I can parse the name to
look it up in a database connection.

Clay

Mike

Jun 12, 2006, 7:26:12 PM6/12/06
I used the same technique, but I am pulling the authors name out of the
createdby field instead of modifiedby. Thanks for the insight.

-m

<clay...@hotmail.com> wrote in message