Virtual Directory not being configured as an application

Kristoffer Mortensen

Jan 21, 2005, 5:47:23 AM1/21/05
hi
I've been dealing with this problem for almost 2 days now.

I have a virtual directory te.testing.com
I need to access a page at http/te.testing.com/receivedata/receice.aspx
That page saves the data sent to this URL in a database (this is in
another class file)

When I try to access that page I get an error:

"It is an error to use a section registered as
allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
error can be caused by a virtua directory not being configured as an
application in IIS."

It works fine locally, and I can make it work if I use my workstation to
connect to (not a virtual directory), but when I try conecting to the
test-server, then it won't work.
i've also tried to remove the program name in the IIS-config tool, and
then add it again (and removing the given name). but nothing helps, I
keep getting this error.
Do I need to edit something in the web.config?

I hope there's someone smarter then me, who knows what's wrong.
Kristoffer

Kristofer Gafvert

Jan 21, 2005, 6:12:02 AM1/21/05
Is the virtual directory configured as an application in IIS?

Open IIS Manager.
Right click the root folder of the web application (probably the virtual
folder), and click Properties.
Click the Create button.

--
Regards,
Kristofer Gafvert

Kristoffer Mortensen

Jan 21, 2005, 6:34:29 AM1/21/05
what do I have to write in the textfield to te left of the create
button? te.testing.com ?
and will it grant me access to the receivedata/receive.aspx

I just can't get it to work right.

Kristoffer

Kristofer Gafvert

Jan 21, 2005, 9:41:25 AM1/21/05
You don't need to write anything, leave the defaults.

Grant access in what way? This does not change any security
configurations, so if you are denied access due to security, then this is
not the solution.