SMTP server configuration

Leszek

Sep 4, 2003, 9:51:00 AM9/4/03
Hello,

I need to set up my local SMTP server. How can I do this? What settings are
critical? How can I test it if it works properly?
My configuration: Win2000 Pro / IIS 5.0
Are there any good on-line resources about configuring SMTP servers?

Thanks for any advices,
Leszek Taratuta

Leszek

Sep 4, 2003, 11:57:43 AM9/4/03
I set up my local SMTP server, but it puts emails to the queue and do not
send them further.
I have read about the smarthost settings, so I set them up:
Fully-qualified domain name: my_computer_name
Smart host: [my_computer_IP]

I tried to send an email using Outlook Express but it still just puts the
message to the queue.
My system: Win2000 Pro / IIS 5.0

Thanks for any help,
Leszek Taratuta

"Leszek" <tara...@5thbusiness.com> wrote in message

Wei-Dong Xu [MSFT]

Sep 5, 2003, 1:15:57 AM9/5/03
Hi Leszek,

I'd suggest you check the KB article Q297988 which may help you some on
this issue. Please go to:
297988 HOW TO: Test the Windows 2000 SMTP Service Outbound Mailflow Without
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297988

If you have any further question, please feel free to let me know!

Thank you for using Microsoft NewsGroup!

Wei-Dong Xu
Microsoft Product Support Services

Wei-Dong Xu [MSFT]

Sep 5, 2003, 1:32:31 AM9/5/03
Hi Leszek,

You can also use the telnet to test you smtp service. Please check the KB
article Q286421 .
286421 HOW TO: Test Windows 2000 IIS SMTP Services Manually
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=286421

When you are typing the telnet command, the telnet doesn't support the
backspace which will be inlcuded into the command line, not performing a
delete operation. If you type a wrong command, please press "enter" then
type the command again.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Leszek

Sep 9, 2003, 9:39:48 AM9/9/03
Thank you very much.
There were several problems with my IIS configuration (smart host, smtp
server name etc). Moreover it turned out that I needed to set up a real
sender address (From: field) to enforce the IIS to send emails. Strange but
now it works perfectly.

Thanks,
Leszek Taratuta

"Wei-Dong Xu [MSFT]" <v-w...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message