Move entire IIS 6 configuration to different server

Karl Krist

Dec 3, 2003, 7:20:31 PM12/3/03

Hello all-

I recently moved my webservers to Server 2003/IIS 6. One of the main
reasons I did this, was to keep them both fairly synchronized. One
server does nothing but provide a redundant backup for the other one.

I got my production machine up and running, and everything is (fairly)
fine. (A few minor glitches here and there, but they are getting ironed
out)

Now, I've moved all of my data, and files over to my redundant server,
and I am attempting to copy over all of my IIS settings. I *thought* it
was as easy as either moving the metabase, or just moving the backup
files over and restoring. Neither of these worked. Moving the metabase
over just causes IIS not to start. Attempting to restore from a
different backup gives me an 'invalid signature' error.

Does anyone know the secret for this? Is it easy? My goal is to just
duplicate my production server settings on my backup server.

Any help would be appreciated-

Thanks,

Karl

Bernard

Dec 3, 2003, 9:36:21 PM12/3/03
You can't use backup/restore in this case as the machine
keys detail is stored in the metabase. what you can do is try to
'export' the settings and 'import' the setting file into the new server.

--
Regards,
Bernard Cheah

"Karl Krist" <kak...@ucdavis.edu> wrote in message

Jonathan Maltz [MS-MVP]

Dec 3, 2003, 10:49:41 PM12/3/03

I believe I had a similar error like that when I did some re-installing with
the 2003 RC's. I overcame that message by forcing the restore using
"iisback" to restore the file, which worked, but I can't guarantee anything.
It's worth a try though

--
--Jonathan Maltz [Microsoft MVP - Windows Server]
http://www.visualwin.com - A Windows Server 2003 visual, step-by-step

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

Dec 4, 2003, 8:56:42 AM12/4/03
"Karl Krist" <kak...@ucdavis.edu> wrote in message

> Hello all-
>
> I recently moved my webservers to Server 2003/IIS 6. One of the main
> reasons I did this, was to keep them both fairly synchronized. One
> server does nothing but provide a redundant backup for the other one.
>
> I got my production machine up and running, and everything is (fairly)
> fine. (A few minor glitches here and there, but they are getting ironed
> out)
>
> Now, I've moved all of my data, and files over to my redundant server,
> and I am attempting to copy over all of my IIS settings. I *thought* it
> was as easy as either moving the metabase, or just moving the backup
> files over and restoring. Neither of these worked. Moving the metabase
> over just causes IIS not to start. Attempting to restore from a
> different backup gives me an 'invalid signature' error.
>
> Does anyone know the secret for this? Is it easy? My goal is to just
> duplicate my production server settings on my backup server.

See iiscnfg.vbs ...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/iis/iis6/proddocs/resguide/iisrg_tas_bxek.asp

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Tim Coffey

Dec 23, 2003, 4:53:28 AM12/23/03
No, but you can use the IIS Migration Tool from the IIS Resource Kit to do this. Or, the iiscnfg.vbs script which is included with the OS.

Thank you. I hope this information is helpful.

Tim Coffey [MSFT]

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. © 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.