programmatic FTP

Scotter

Sep 1, 2004, 10:20:07 AM9/1/04
Hi all -

Do any of you know of a tool that you can reference from ASP vbScript to FTP
a file sitting on the server to another server somewhere that has an open
FTP port?

DETAIL:
I have a content management system I wrote that runs only on a Windows box.
New client must stay with his host who only runs Linux boxes.
I want to modify my engine so that when he is on the admin side and saves
changes to a page, an HTML page is generated and FTP'd over to that Linux
server.

Ideas?

--
Scotter

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Sep 1, 2004, 11:37:33 AM9/1/04
This would be a bit flakey, and I'd suggest you not try to do this, but
well, I guess you'll have to do what you have to do.

You can "shell out" to ftp.exe and pass it some data to automate an FTP
process. You'd want to create an ftp "instruction" file, and then pass that
file to ftp.exe as so. (This assumes your instruction file exists. If you
need to create it on the fly, use the File System Object to create a file
first.)

C:\ftpcommand.ftp

open 123.123.123.123
user REPLACETHISWITHYOURUSERNAME
REPLACETHISWITHYOURPASSWORD
lcd D:\LocalDirOnYourServer
cd RemoteDirectoryOnServer
type ascii
put asciifile.htm
type binary
put binaryfile.gif
close
quit

Then execute this code:

Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
oShell.Run "%windir%\system32\ftp.exe -n -s:C:\ftpcommand.ftp", 0, False
Set oShell = Nothing

Ray at work

"Scotter" <sp...@spam.com> wrote in message

Curt_C [MVP]

Sep 1, 2004, 11:42:58 AM9/1/04
check over at www.aspin.com, there might be an FTP component for the server
you can use.

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

Mike Drewery

Sep 1, 2004, 4:41:22 PM9/1/04
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2110

I use ASPInet and have been very pleased.

Mike

>.

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Sep 7, 2004, 1:53:52 AM9/7/04
Hello Scotter,

Do you have any more concerns on the community's reply? If there is any
unclear, please feel free to post here. Thanks very much.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Community Support

Register to Access MSDN Managed Newsgroups!
-http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/msdn/nospam.as
p&SD=msdn