Freeze Table Headers.

Nico VanHaaster

May 23, 2006, 6:15:22 PM5/23/06
Hello all.

There is what i would like to do, I have a page that pulls all the
hours for our staff over a given period calculated them and reports
back on 15 different colums and is aproximatly 500 individual rows of
data for a table. Now as you could imagine that is a night mare to look
at for anyone, i have done a few things to make remeber which columns
are which however a simple Solution would be to the top row, or rows i
define stay constantly at the top as your scroll down.

This is classic ASP and not ASP.NET, I can find alot of resources for
ASP.NET but nothing for ASP.

I have considered Frames, but who really wants to mess around with that
ad there are alot of controls at the top of the page that manipulate
the data.

Also i have heard of using JavaScript or CSS, Has anyone achieved this
before?

I am not sure if you need my code or not as this is just classic table
design

Thanks In Advance

Mike Brind

May 24, 2006, 3:14:03 AM5/24/06

Nico VanHaaster wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> There is what i would like to do, I have a page that pulls all the
> hours for our staff over a given period calculated them and reports
> back on 15 different colums and is aproximatly 500 individual rows of
> data for a table. Now as you could imagine that is a night mare to look
> at for anyone, i have done a few things to make remeber which columns
> are which however a simple Solution would be to the top row, or rows i
> define stay constantly at the top as your scroll down.
>
> This is classic ASP and not ASP.NET, I can find alot of resources for
> ASP.NET but nothing for ASP.
>
> I have considered Frames, but who really wants to mess around with that
> ad there are alot of controls at the top of the page that manipulate
> the data.
>
> Also i have heard of using JavaScript or CSS, Has anyone achieved this
> before?

Personally, I would consider paginating the results, but if you really
want to present 500 rows on a page then you could have a look at
http://underscorebleach.net/jotsheet/2004/12/frames-with-css-layout
which uses css to apply a framelike appearance. Apparently this
doesn't work in all browsers, so you might want to google about a bit.
If you are intent on a client-side solution (frames/javascript/css) you
would be better off taking your question to a more appropriate group.

--
Mike Brind

Evertjan.

May 24, 2006, 3:56:19 AM5/24/06
Nico VanHaaster wrote on 24 mei 2006 in

> Hello all.
>
> There is what i would like to do, I have a page that pulls all the
> hours for our staff over a given period calculated them and reports
> back on 15 different colums and is aproximatly 500 individual rows of
> data for a table. Now as you could imagine that is a night mare to look
> at for anyone, i have done a few things to make remeber which columns
> are which however a simple Solution would be to the top row, or rows i
> define stay constantly at the top as your scroll down.
>
> This is classic ASP and not ASP.NET, I can find alot of resources for
> ASP.NET but nothing for ASP.
>
> I have considered Frames, but who really wants to mess around with that
> ad there are alot of controls at the top of the page that manipulate
> the data.
>
> Also i have heard of using JavaScript or CSS, Has anyone achieved this
> before?

This is not a serversode/ASP solution you are after,
so realy off-topic here.
Please continue on a clientside html or css NG

==========

Give the top row a seperate <table> and have the content rows
in a table with a fixed height, so that a scrollbar will develop if the
table row number exeeds the set height.
Specify each td width:??px; correctly and use table-layout:fixed; for these
tables.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

vicky

May 27, 2006, 1:25:13 AM5/27/06
Hi Nico,

Here is code for you.. Just modify it and its your.

cellspacing=0>

Anthony Jones

May 29, 2006, 7:55:14 AM5/29/06

"vicky" <vicky...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

This simple example appears to work but will fail in the real world because
the column widths in the 'header' table may well not match the column widths
in the 'body' table.

Evertjan.

May 29, 2006, 8:17:32 AM5/29/06
Anthony Jones wrote on 29 mei 2006 in

> This simple example appears to work but will fail in the real world
> because the column widths in the 'header' table may well not match the
> column widths in the 'body' table.

use:

table.t {table-layout:fixed;}

However I till fail to see the ASP-significance.

Anthony Jones

May 29, 2006, 9:43:36 AM5/29/06

"Evertjan." <exjxw.ha...@interxnl.net> wrote in message

> Anthony Jones wrote on 29 mei 2006 in

> > This simple example appears to work but will fail in the real world
> > because the column widths in the 'header' table may well not match the
> > column widths in the 'body' table.
>
> use:
>
> table.t {table-layout:fixed;}

Yes the solution you've already given is the only reliable one I've found so
far.

> However I till fail to see the ASP-significance.

Yes you've said that already. If I were a computer I would probably just
ignore the message or throw an error. However as a human I can see how
someone could think that the question was relevant (even though there are
even better matches for the question).

vicky

May 30, 2006, 1:43:08 PM5/30/06
There will not be any problem, Just use this logic in loop to create
columns dynamically, and as the width's I have used in %, so will be
adjusted automatically.

Evertjan.

May 31, 2006, 5:41:51 AM5/31/06

Please quote what you are replying to.

"Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at the
top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the article
headers. <http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>

Anthony Jones

May 31, 2006, 12:10:04 PM5/31/06

"vicky" <vicky...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I'm not sure what it is that 'will not be a problem'. Fundamentally though
the column widths of 25% in your first header table and the 25% column
widths in second data table do not strictly have to be the same actual width
when resolved to pixels. Indeed with a pixel border your solution is
already slightly misalligned.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

May 31, 2006, 12:22:19 PM5/31/06

Not to mention what happens when the scrollbar appears ...
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

vicky

Jun 1, 2006, 1:38:07 PM6/1/06
Ok, send me your code and I will get it work for u.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Jun 1, 2006, 4:02:20 PM6/1/06
We weren't saying we couldn't do it ... just that it was not as easy as
you made it sound.

vicky

Jun 4, 2006, 2:02:42 AM6/4/06
Hey, I was just trying to help, if my language made some
misunderstanding, then I am sorry.