New Test builds of UnixIE 5.0 SP1 available for Solaris and HP-UX

Brion Stone

Oct 5, 2001, 5:48:20 PM10/5/01
Test builds of the upcoming UnixIE 5.0 Service Pack 1 (SP1) are now
available for download at ftp.microsoft.com.

Note that this is a Test (beta) build, and should not be used for
mission critical applications!

These test builds address a number of issues that users are currently
having with the Unix IE 5.0 and UnixIE 5.0 SP1 Beta versions:
- non-US keyboards
- Solaris 8 issues
- Rendering issues
- and much, much more!

A patch checker runs at startup to ensure that the Unix workstation
has the necessary OS patches for the UnixIE 5.0 to run successfully.

This version requires the Java Plug-in VM version 1.3.001 or greater.

SOLARIS VERSION INSTALLATION:

1. Download the file

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/deskapps/ie/unix/sol/ie5_sp1test/ie5setup.sunos5
and save it to a writable directory (e.g., /tmp).
2. Verify the file was downloaded correctly:
% /bin/cksum /tmp/ie5setup.sunos5
should give a value of "820496938 25092288 /tmp/ie5setup.sunos5"
3. Change the permissions of the file to allow execution:
% /bin/chmod 555 /tmp/ie5setup.sunos5
4. Delete all existing UnixIE settings:
% rm -rf ~/.microsoft* /var/tmp/.SH* /var/tmp/reg*
5. Run the SP1 Test Build:
% /tmp/ie5setup.sunos5
Note that you will have to run as root to save to the default
(/usr/local/microsoft) installation directory.

SOLARIS KNOWN ISSUES:

- You must have at least an Ultra1 to run the Test build.
- You must install the Java Plug-in VM as the first "java" in your
PATH to run applets.
- You must also set the NPX_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable to the
directory that contains the sparc/ns4/javaplugin.so file, in order to run
JAVA.
- You must set the MWWIN_INI environment variable to IEConfigFile in
order to print.

HP-UX VERSION INSTALLATION:

1. Download the file
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/deskapps/ie/unix/hp/ie5_sp1test/ie5setup.ux11
and save it to a writable directory (e.g., /tmp).
2. Verify the file was downloaded correctly:
% /bin/cksum /tmp/ie5setup.ux11
should give a value of "2847875312 34742351 /tmp/ie5setup.ux11"
3. Change the permissions of the file to allow execution:
% /bin/chmod 555 /tmp/ie5setup.ux11
4. Delete all existing UnixIE settings:
% rm -rf ~/.microsoft* /var/tmp/.SH* /var/tmp/reg*
5. Run the SP1 Test Build:
% /tmp/ie5setup.ux11
Note that you will have to run with root permissions to save at the
default(/usr/local/microsoft) installation directory.

HP-UX KNOWN ISSUES:

- You must be running at least HP-UX 11.0 to run the Test build.
- You must have (for HP-UX 11.00) the QPK1100, XSWGR1100, and
XSWHWCR1100 patch sets installed.
- You must install the Java Plug-in VM as the first "java" in your
PATH to run applets.
- You must also set the NPX_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable to the
directory that contains the javaplugin.sl file, in order to run JAVA.
- You must set the MWWIN_INI environment variable to IEConfigFile in
order to print.

INSTALLATION ADVICE.

If you have run any version of UnixIE before,
delete your ~/.microsoft directory before attempting to run the Test
build(using 'rm -rf ~/.micro*').
This will necessitate re-entering your user settings (e.g., proxy
info,
trusted sites, etc.).

You should also kill your "mwcolormanager" process before attempting
to run
the Beta again (using 'ps -aef | grep mwcolormanager' to get the
<PID>, and
'kill -9 <PID>' to kill the process).

One more suggestion, is to clean up old UnixIE files in /var/tmp
and /tmp (using 'rm -rf /var/tmp/reg* /var/tmp/.SH* /tmp/gma*
/tmp/M*').

If you are still having problems, post them to the newsgroup:
Include the output of 'uname -a' and the latest patch set that you
have
installed. Note: This build is designed to run with the Java Plug-in
VM.
You must have the patches for your Java Plug-in VM installed on your
system before running the SP1. You may find the patches at
http://www.javasoft.com .

For more information about UnixIE 5.0 SP1, read the
"readme.(hp or sun).txt" file in the installation directory.

Also, let the newsgroup know how things are working!
If you want to reply privately, send your email to ieu...@hotmail.com
.

Thanks,
-Brion Stone
UnixIE Program Manager
Microsoft

Eric Belhaire

Oct 9, 2001, 4:47:18 AM10/9/01

Brion Stone wrote:
      Test builds of the upcoming UnixIE 5.0 Service Pack 1 (SP1) are now
      available for download at ftp.microsoft.com.

      Note that this is a Test (beta) build, and should not be used for
mission critical applications!

      These test builds address a number of issues that users are currently
      having with the Unix IE 5.0 and UnixIE 5.0 SP1 Beta versions:
      - non-US keyboards

Unfortunately, this new feature does not work. (I have got a french
keyboard). It's true that now, the letters "azqwm..." are at the right
place, but you can't enter any letter which must be access with AltGraph
and any letter with accent. The consequence is that you can't even enter
the letter "@" (it's not easy for an email client).

So, if you decided to download the product because of this feature.
Don't waste your time. I think that microsoft should have a look to
some free code available everywhere in internet, because I NEVER saw
any software which had this behavior. Even an old software like Mosaic
(compiled in 1993) is able to understand my keyboard.
Progress was on the rails and microsoft came... :-(

--
Eric BELHAIRE
IEF / Universite Paris-Sud (XI) / F-91405 Orsay cedex / FRANCE         >

Mats Larsson

Oct 9, 2001, 7:59:35 AM10/9/01
Eric Belhaire wrote:

> Unfortunately, this new feature does not work. (I have got a french
> keyboard). It's true that now, the letters "azqwm..." are at the right
>
> place, but you can't enter any letter which must be access with
> AltGraph
> and any letter with accent. The consequence is that you can't even
> enter
> the letter "@" (it's not easy for an email client).

Same experience here, it doesn't understand the swedish chars едц.

Mats Larsson

Oct 9, 2001, 8:15:15 AM10/9/01
Brion Stone wrote:

> Test builds of the upcoming UnixIE 5.0 Service Pack 1 (SP1) are now
> available for download at ftp.microsoft.com.

[ snip ]

> SOLARIS KNOWN ISSUES:
>
> - You must have at least an Ultra1 to run the Test build.
> - You must install the Java Plug-in VM as the first "java" in your
> PATH to run applets.

Only one (lower left, Java User Groups) of two applets on
http://java.sun.com works. The other one (upper right, news ticker)
stays gray. A lot of applets on http://java.sun.com/applets/ doesn't
work either.

Cpmmand 'java -version' gives:

java version "1.3.1_01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_01)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.1_01, mixed mode)

> - You must also set the NPX_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable to the
> directory that contains the sparc/ns4/javaplugin.so file, in order to run
> JAVA.

Done.

> - You must set the MWWIN_INI environment variable to IEConfigFile in
> order to print.

And where is that IEConfigFile file, did a find in the IE installation
dir with no luck.

[ snip ]

/MOL

Brion Stone

Oct 9, 2001, 11:37:38 AM10/9/01
Mats,
Here are examples on how to set the two environment variables in csh:

% setenv NPX_PLUGIN_PATH /usr/j2se/plugin/sparc/ns4/
% setenv MWWIN_INI IEConfigFile

The first environment variable is a path used for the Java Plug-in. The
second is an internal variable used for printing.

For instructions on fixing your Java Plug-in permissions so that you can
view other applets, see the "TestBuild Solaris Readme for UnixIE 5.0 SP1"
post. The section on creating your own "~/.java.policy" should solve your
issues with downloading info from unsigned applets.

Thanks for the feedback on the keyboard,

-Brion Stone
UnixIE Program Manager
Microsoft

"Mats Larsson" <Mats.L...@uab.ericsson.se> wrote in message

Mats Larsson

Oct 11, 2001, 3:46:26 AM10/11/01
Brion Stone wrote:

> % setenv NPX_PLUGIN_PATH /usr/j2se/plugin/sparc/ns4/
> % setenv MWWIN_INI IEConfigFile
>
> The first environment variable is a path used for the Java Plug-in. The
> second is an internal variable used for printing.

OK, printing now works.

> For instructions on fixing your Java Plug-in permissions so that you can
> view other applets, see the "TestBuild Solaris Readme for UnixIE 5.0 SP1"
> post. The section on creating your own "~/.java.policy" should solve your
> issues with downloading info from unsigned applets.

I added this to my .java.policy file:

grant {
permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

and some more applets now works at http://java.sun.com/applets/

but the "news ticker" in the upper right corner of http://java.sun.com/
still doesn't display anything. No output in the Java console either.
Anyone else seeing this?

/MOL

Mats Larsson

Oct 11, 2001, 3:49:08 AM10/11/01
Mats Larsson wrote:

> but the "news ticker" in the upper right corner of http://java.sun.com/
> still doesn't display anything. No output in the Java console either.

This showed up in the Java Plug-in console after my post:

java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:320)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:133)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:120)
at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:50)
at
sun.plugin.protocol.jdk12.http.HttpClient.doConnect(HttpClient.java:97)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:335)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:521)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:271)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:232)
at sun.plugin.protocol.jdk12.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:57)
at sun.plugin.protocol.jdk12.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:69)
at
sun.plugin.protocol.jdk12.http.HttpURLConnection.privBlock(HttpURLConnection.java:113)
at
sun.plugin.protocol.jdk12.http.HttpURLConnection$PrivilegedBlockAction.run(HttpURLConnection.java:402)
at
sun.plugin.protocol.jdk12.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection.java:148)
at
sun.plugin.protocol.jdk12.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:321)
at java.net.URL.openStream(URL.java:798)
at Util.readData(Util.java:20)
at News.createFeeds(News.java:84)
at News.init(News.java:68)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:344)
at
sun.plugin.navig.motif.MotifAppletViewer.maf_run(MotifAppletViewer.java:127)
at
sun.plugin.navig.motif.MotifAppletViewer.run(MotifAppletViewer.java:123)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Michael...@usa.xerox.com

Oct 24, 2001, 7:32:31 PM10/24/01
Brion et.al.

Thank you very much for the new test build. IE works very nicely
on my Solaris 8 Ultra 10 with Elite 3D and PGX graphics. I WAS
one of the folks that could not get the progams to display on my
Ultra systems.

I am having an interesting problem with the "find people" function
in the OE Address Book. I am pointing OE to our internal mail
machines (Microsoft oriented mail directory servers) and when I put
a partial name like "Buckley" into the Name: field, a small remark
is put in the windows title bar {like "(10 entries found)"} and the
E-mail: field stays blank. I try the same function on my pc and
all 10 different Buckley email address entries populate the E-mail:
fields.

When I run a snoop on my network traffic to the mail service, I can
see full information coming back to my Unix box on all of the 10
Buckley folks that are found in that mail server directory.

Any ideas on fixing this problem?

TIA

Mike Buckley

*****************************

In article <3bbe2aa5$1...@news.microsoft.com>, "Brion says...

Mats Larsson

Oct 25, 2001, 5:09:45 AM10/25/01
Michael...@usa.xerox.com wrote:

> I am having an interesting problem with the "find people" function
> in the OE Address Book. I am pointing OE to our internal mail
> machines (Microsoft oriented mail directory servers) and when I put
> a partial name like "Buckley" into the Name: field, a small remark
> is put in the windows title bar {like "(10 entries found)"} and the
> E-mail: field stays blank. I try the same function on my pc and
> all 10 different Buckley email address entries populate the E-mail:
> fields.

Same for me on Solaris 8 / Ultra 10 / Creator 3.

/MOL