OE5 removes messages from local file!

J.R.

Feb 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/1/99
I note that OE5 can remove messages (headers and bodies) which I have
previously downloaded and are in my local file.

OE4 DID NOT DO THIS!

Possibly it has something to do with the .ods file system, which I gather
will be abandoned in the final release.

In any case, I want you to know that it is NOT OK for a program to go into
my local file and remove items I might want to keep!
Whether or not the sysop may have deleted the message from the SERVER.

For me, this is as big an invasion of privacy as the Pentium3 I.D. number.

And if it's not fixed, or at least made a user option, it will be back to
OE4 (?netscrape? ?eudora?).

Response appreciated,
J.R.

brian sheehan

Feb 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/1/99
That's a very interesting point. Could someone explain 1. how OE5 goes
about doing this, and 2. Why??

thanks,

brian

--
Brian Sheehan -- sheeh...@osu.net
"If you wanna know what I'm like as a person, check out my liver." --

J.R. <J...@nospam.please.com> wrote in message

Mike M

Feb 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/1/99
To expand on your statement. OE5 removes message headers, and message
bodies where not earlier deleted (Tools/Options/Maintenance and either
"Delete read message bodies in newsgroups" or "Delete news messages n days
after being downloaded"checked), when the original message is removed from
the news server. This is apparently what was supposed to happen with OE4
but clearly did not, as confirmed by your posting.

--
Mike M

MMa...@globalnet.co.uk
UIN/ICQ# 3536649

Stephen Tate

Feb 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/1/99
Mike

I don't think I understand what you're saying.

Are you saying that, even though 'remove messages after x days' is set, it
won't remove then unless they are also removed by the server's SYSOP?

If that's correct, it's a nightmare. Some of the NGs I use have over 35000
messages archived - I've been tying to remove headers older than 1 month to
try and speed up view changes!

--
Stephen Tate
Stephen Tate CAD, UK

J.R.

Feb 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/1/99
Thanks for your response.
I'm sorry to hear this.
I often refer back to messages in the file long after first read.
Also, threads make much more sense when all the messages are there!
It is my hope that this will be a user option in the final release.
Otherwise, it's back to oe4...

J.R.

Mike M <No_Spam_Please@Corned_Beef.Com> wrote in message

Mike M

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
J.R.

I totally agree subject, of course, to MS allowing one to then remove
unwanted message headers from NGs. This was not available with OE4 and
only available via a "bug" in OE5b2 which has unfortunately now been
fixed. Thus, for example, the Corel Wordperfect8 NG currently has around
30,000 entries. The ability to delete unwanted headers is essential when
working with such news groups. For your information you can currently
delete unwanted message headers in NGs in OE5b2 via a "bug" in the
extended "Find" where the Delete command does precisely that to any NG
header - with or without a message body, that is selected.

The work around for your current problem is, of course, to copy those
messages/threads which you wish to save to a local folder.

--
Mike M

MMa...@globalnet.co.uk
UIN/ICQ# 3536649