Slow Local AVI Playback

hect...@yahoo.com

Dec 26, 2005, 5:18:31 PM12/26/05
I made a webpage for my son's computer with some home movies on it.
The movies are also on his computer. When I double-click a movie, a
consistent number of seconds goes by for each file, Media Player opens
up, and the movie starts playing. If I click the same movies on the
webpage I created, each movie takes a noticeably longer time to play
(it also launches Media Player, I didn't want embedded video). The
bigger the movie is, the longer the extra delay is. My links look
like:

I don't know the internals, but it's behaving like Internet Explorer
6.0 doesn't care whether the file is local or remote, it's going to
copy it to a temporary directory and play it from there. If that's the
case, what can I do to get IE to use the specified file directly? If
that's not the case, any help I can get to make the page run faster
would be great.

Thanks, happy holidays.
Hector

p c

Dec 28, 2005, 11:22:29 PM12/28/05
What you described is normal behavior. You can specify to view the video
within a browser or launch it in the application but you are still
relyin on the browser to launch the application.

The alternative is to launch them directly without going thru a web
page. I assume you are trying to have a simple menu for your son.

Here's a simple way that do snot involve programming. Create a folder on
the desktop and name it videos. Then create a shortcut to each file and
name each a meaningful name (e.g., the label to your link). Then move
all theese shotcuts to the folder. Then to view a vidoe, your son would
open the folder and launch the shortcut to the video he wants to view.

Also, remember to empty the browser cache and emtpy the recyl bin to
free hard drive space. Video files take a lot of space, and the more hd
free space you have the faster they will load.

..PC