"Valid" Discussion Server

Denise M. Godfrey

May 29, 2002, 8:23:20 AM5/29/02
I set up a subweb as a discussion server using the wizard in FP 2002. It has
unique permissions from the root web, allowing only registered users to
access it. My users want to be emailed when there are new posts. One part of
"help" says to set it up through MSIE (click the "Discuss" button and set it
up there). Another part of "help" says to go to the Site Administration Page
and under Web Discussions and Subscriptions, click Change Web Subscription
Settings.

When I tried doing it through MSIE (not the best choice since some of the
users use Navigator), it says it's not a "Valid Discussion Server". I don't
understand that, since I set it up with the wizard.

When I went to the Site Administration page, I don't have Web Discussions
and Subscriptions as an option.

What's wrong??

Thanks,
Denise

Stefan B. Rusynko

May 29, 2002, 9:26:19 AM5/29/02
You are confusing the Microsoft Office Server Extensions (OSE) running Web server software
and the subset of the OSE - Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions (which let you create a Discussion Web)
See http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/off2krk/html/75t5_1.asp

The OSE lets you access a Web Discussions & Subscriptions when you install MS Office XP, (which adds the Discuss command to the Explorer Bar submenu of the View menu in Internet Explorer 5 or later)
See http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/off2krk/html/70ct_2.asp?frame=true

If you are just working with a FP Discussion subweb you can modify the FP DW Post page Webbot to email you whenever a post is made to the DW by adding in HTML view to the Discussion Webbot (just before s-toc-fields):

S-Email-Address="y...@domain.com" S-Email-Format="TEXT/PRE"
b-email-replyto-from-field="TRUE" s-email-replyto="Email"
b-email-subject-from-field="TRUE" s-email-subject="Subject"

Note: only the 1st line is needed if you do not have a "Email" and "Subject" field in the Post Form

Thomas A. Rowe

May 29, 2002, 3:53:53 PM5/29/02
Note: However this will only send email to you, it can not send email to
individuals that post or want to be notified when someone has replied to their
post. This can not be done with the FP Discussion Web.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
http://www.ycoln-resources.com
FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

"Stefan B. Rusynko" <sbr_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Stefan B. Rusynko

May 30, 2002, 5:49:58 AM5/30/02
Correct - it will send the Email to only 1 address (say the moderator)
(then you can use an autoforwarder or mail rule to forward it to others)