Exchange 2007 CAS with Exchange 2003 Backend

Dave Hope

Mar 30, 2008, 6:50:00 AM3/30/08
Hi guys,

We currently have a single-server Exchange 2003 setup on a DC.

I'd like to migrate to Exchange 2007, but we need to upgrade our backup
software to do so, which will prove more expensive than the exchange upgrade.

So, I'm hoping to do things in stages. I'd like to add a second server
running the Exchange 2007 CAS role acting as a front to our current exchange
2003 server.

Is this a supported configuration? Mail routing will still go via the
present server, clients will just use the new 2007 server for webmail and
exchange access.

Does anyone have a link to an article on best practices / processes for this
kind of setup?

Cheers,

Dave

Ed Crowley [MVP]

Mar 30, 2008, 4:17:34 PM3/30/08
Yes, an Exchange 2007 CAS server can front-end an Exchange 2003 mailbox
server. But you will get no significant benefits from doing this aside from
an early start to your Exchange 2007 deployment because OWA will still look
like the Exchange 2003 OWA since it's the back-end server that still renders
the content.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Dave Hope" <Dave...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Dave Hope

Mar 31, 2008, 8:19:01 AM3/31/08
Thanks for the reply Ed,

Presumably OWA will still be the legacy OWA until the mailbox role is moved
to the 2007 box? - Just moving the Transport & CAS roles wont suffice?

Cheers,

Dave

Ed Crowley [MVP]

Mar 31, 2008, 12:30:32 PM3/31/08
OWA won't change to the new pretty version until you move mailboxes to
Exchange 2007.