0x86000108 "ActiveSync encountered a problem on the server."

Mister Iks

May 3, 2007, 6:50:00 AM5/3/07
Problem: when synchronizing e-mail with ActiveSync reports error: 0x86000108
"ActiveSync encountered a problem on the server."

Server is running:
Exchange 2003 enterprise SP2
Windows 2003 SP1

Client device:
Samsung SGH-i600
Qtek 9100

Tested with two different devices and an already existing domain account.
Result: On both devices the error 0x86000108
Tested with two different devices and a new domain account. Result: On both
devices successful synchronization

Installed hotfix suggested in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926144.
Result: On both devices the error 0x86000108
Installed hotfix suggested in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932054.
Result: On both devices the error 0x86000108

Only sync e-mail. Result: On both devices the error 0x86000108
Only sync the calendar, contacts and tasks. Result: On both devices
successful synchronization

We are migrating from the Qtek 9100 devices to the Samsung SGH-i600 devices.
Most accounts that are currently able to sync succesfull on a Qtek 9100
device can not sync successful on the Samsung SGH-i600. When we recreate the
ActiveSync account for such a user on a Qtek 9100 the it also starts to fail
on the Qtek 9100.

It looks like something in the inbox of the user messes up the
synchronization but we are unable to figure out what exactly is causing this.
This error is mentioned on a lot of places on the internet, but none of the
suggested solutions resolve the issue.

Who is able to help us with this issue?

Thx!!

Mister Iks

May 3, 2007, 7:26:00 AM5/3/07
Other thing I tested

Synchronize e-mail with ActiveSync running on device via GPRS. Result: error
0x86000108
Synchronize e-mail with ActiveSync running on PC via USB. Result: error
0x86000108

Mister Iks

May 18, 2007, 5:10:01 PM5/18/07
This has been fixed for us

As I already disovered this problem was caused by the inbox. To solve it we
did the following:

- go to mail view of Outlook client
- create a temp folder as a child of the inbox
- move all e-mails that are in the inbox to this temp folder
- sync the device, should be successfull now
- move the e-mails back to the inbox folder
- sync the device, again should be successfull and will keep working

After this was resolved we also noticed a few accounts that had trouble
syncing the calander. To solve this we did the following:

- go to calander view of Outlook client
- in the view menu , point to Current View
- click By Category
- export all items to a PST file
- delete all calander items
- sync the device, should be successfull now
- restore the calander with the pst file
- sync the device, again should be successfull and will keep working.