MS KB 2467175 and Exchange 2000 on Windows 2000 kernel32.dll error

Behind The Times

Apr 15, 2011, 8:57:06 AM4/15/11
A heads-up for anyone forced by budget constraints to work with slightly(!)
out of date software follows: Update KB2467175 (MS11-025: security update
for Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package: April 12, 2011) prevented
the Information Store service of Exchange 2000 Server (yes, I know...) on
Windows 2000 Server (yes, I KNOW...) from starting with Event ID 26 and
message "Application popup: store.exe - Entry Point Not Found : The
procedure entry point FindActCtxSectionStringW could not be located in the
dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll." This caused a further event ID 7024 "The
Microsoft Exchange Information Store service terminated with
service-specific error 0." to be logged by the Service Control Manager

Uninstalling the update did not fix the problem, even after a reboot. I had
to manually restore from backup the dll files replaced by the update and
then reboot. Those files are listed in the MS KB here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2467175

The update also caused the AVG 8.5 user interface to fail to start with a
similar "FindActCtxSectionStringW could not be located" message.

NB: the problem with the Exchange Store did not come to light straight away
but only when the service was stopped for the offline part of the nightly
backup. Here's hoping you don't waste 2 hours reinstalling & re-patching
Exchange like I did... on the plus side the store itself was intact &
started fine once the dll files were restored.

Hope this helps someone!