Transfer data between workbooks

Edward

Feb 19, 2009, 10:17:04 AM2/19/09
I am using Excel 2007 with Vista Home Premium.

My reason for wanting this system is to provide pre prepared workbooks for
12 months for a relative to make as easy as possible for her to keep her
records without being afraid of Excel.

I have two monthly workbooks running identical accounting sheets.

I want to bring forward the balance showing in cell E33, sheet 'Bank' in
workbook March.xlsx to cell C4, sheet 'Bank' in workbook April.xlsx.

Is this possible? I have my doubts... I have tried all I know wthout
success.

Can anyone help me?

Ed

Pete_UK

Feb 19, 2009, 10:48:02 AM2/19/09
Open both workbooks, and arrange the windows so that you can see both
at the same time in the Excel window. Begin to enter a formula in C4
of the April workbook by typing = and then click on the window of the
March workbook, position the cursor in cell E33, and then press
<enter>. Excel will have sorted out the syntax for you, and the
formula will look something like:

='[March.xlsx]Bank'!$E$33

If you now close the March workbook the formula will expand to show
the full path to the March workbook. If you want to copy the two files
across to your relative's PC, you must ensure that they are located in
an exact folder location - it might be best to set up a sub-folder
from C: drive, so that the path is something like:

='C:\Temp\[March.xlsx]Bank'!$E$33

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 19, 3:17 pm, "Edward" <edward.j.obr...@DELETEbtinternet.com>

Edward

Feb 19, 2009, 11:26:01 AM2/19/09
Great, Pete. Worked exactly as you described. I see how important the path
becomes. I will make sure it is correct when I set it up on her PC.

Many thanks,

Ed

"Pete_UK" <pash...@auditel.net> wrote in message

Pete_UK

Feb 19, 2009, 11:39:26 AM2/19/09
You're welcome, Edward - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On Feb 19, 4:26 pm, "Edward" <edward.j.obr...@DELETEbtinternet.com>