Lock Cell After Data is Entered on Particular Cell

Moideen

Jun 24, 2012, 8:00:21 AM6/24/12

We are maintaing an excel sheet for expense details, After Entering the
data on Amount Coloumn Need to Lock The Amount Coloumn with Password.
Please help me.

Coloumn 1 Coloumn 2 Coloumn 3

Date Item Name Amount

--
Moideen

WoolyBully

Jun 24, 2012, 9:55:43 AM6/24/12
Unlock cell, add data, re-lock cell.

All has to be by code. No auto-function for this. You must visit the
programming sub-group.

Gord Dibben

Jun 24, 2012, 10:08:06 AM6/24/12
First...........select all cells on sheet and format them to unlocked.

Add this event code to the worksheet module.

On Error GoTo enditall
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Target.Cells.Column = 3 Then
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="justme"
n = Target.Row
If Me.Range("C" & n).Value <> "" Then
Me.Range("C" & n).Locked = True
End If
End If
enditall:
ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="justme"
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

When you enter a value in column C that cell will become locked for
editing.

Gord

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 12:00:21 +0000, Moideen

CellShocked

Jun 24, 2012, 10:31:47 AM6/24/12
Still seems quite vulnerable.

Gord Dibben

Jun 24, 2012, 1:19:05 PM6/24/12
On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 07:31:47 -0700, CellShocked
<cells...@thecellvalueattheendofthespreadsheet.org> wrote:

> Still seems quite vulnerable.

In what manner other than the weakness of Excel's internal security
which is always the issue.

OP can lock the project from viewing so's users cannot see the
password.

Gord

GS

Jun 24, 2012, 9:26:03 PM6/24/12
How would the user edit an incorrect entry in the amount column?

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Moideen

Jun 25, 2012, 8:29:45 AM6/25/12

'Gord Dibben[_2_ Wrote:
> ;1603079']First...........select all cells on sheet and format them to
> unlocked.
>
> Add this event code to the worksheet module.
>
> Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
> On Error GoTo enditall
> Application.EnableEvents = False
> If Target.Cells.Column = 3 Then
> ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="justme"
> n = Target.Row
> If Me.Range("C" & n).Value <> "" Then
> Me.Range("C" & n).Locked = True
> End If
> End If
> enditall:
> ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="justme"
> Application.EnableEvents = True
> End Sub
>
> When you enter a value in column C that cell will become locked for
> editing.
>

> Gord
>

> On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 12:00:21 +0000, Moideen
> <Moideen...@excelbanter.com> wrote:
> -
> >
> >We are maintaing an excel sheet for expense details, After Entering
> the
> >data on Amount Coloumn Need to Lock The Amount Coloumn with Password.
> >Please help me.
> >
> >Coloumn 1 Coloumn 2 Coloumn 3
> >
> >Date Item Name Amount-

Dear Gord ,

Thank you very much, It's Function working well, But i unprotected the
work sheet with the password of "justme" and excel opening time need
auto protection if i forgot to protect the sheet before excel closing
time.
your kindly help is highly appreciated

--
Moideen

Gord Dibben

Jun 25, 2012, 4:16:01 PM6/25/12
On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:29:45 +0000, Moideen
<Moideen...@excelbanter.com> wrote:

>Dear Gord ,
>
>Thank you very much, It's Function working well, But i unprotected the
>work sheet with the password of "justme" and excel opening time need
>auto protection if i forgot to protect the sheet before excel closing
>time.
>your kindly help is highly appreciated

Copy/paste this event code to Thisworkbook module.

Sheets("yoursheetname").Protect Password:="justme"
End Sub

NOTE: as others have pointed out, Excel's internal security is quite
weak and protection of cells and sheets will serve only to prevent
accidental overwriting of formulas or data.

A user determined to change data can easily crack the password
protection.

GS also asked "how will user correct a mistake in data entry if cells
are locked"?

What will you do if users do not enable VBA when they open the
workbook?

Have you considered these issues?

Gord

Moideen

Jun 26, 2012, 6:08:51 AM6/26/12

'Gord Dibben[_2_ Wrote:
> ;1603139']On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:29:45 +0000, Moideen
> <Moideen...@excelbanter.com> wrote:
> -
> >Dear Gord ,
> >
> >Thank you very much, It's Function working well, But i unprotected the
> >work sheet with the password of "justme" and excel opening time need
> >auto protection if i forgot to protect the sheet before excel closing
> >time.
> >your kindly help is highly appreciated-
>
> Copy/paste this event code to Thisworkbook module.
>
> Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
> Sheets("yoursheetname").Protect Password:="justme"
> End Sub
>
> NOTE: as others have pointed out, Excel's internal security is quite
> weak and protection of cells and sheets will serve only to prevent
> accidental overwriting of formulas or data.
>
> A user determined to change data can easily crack the password
> protection.
>
> GS also asked "how will user correct a mistake in data entry if cells
> are locked"?
>
> What will you do if users do not enable VBA when they open the
> workbook?
>
> Have you considered these issues?
>

> Gord

Dear Gord,

Thank you once again for your quick response,We are not facing these
types of issues, Because this is not a highly important file.

--
Moideen

mohanku...@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2014, 5:11:15 AM12/1/14
Dear all,

i want to lock the excel spread sheet after cell entry , (lock the cells one by one )

mohanku...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2014, 2:44:04 AM12/30/14
Thanks , i need one more clarifications. once entered the data in cell give the lock of each column respective row.

if possible please post.

thank you for the support

rupa...@pittiegroup.com

Dec 10, 2016, 2:27:09 AM12/10/16
i want cell lock after input automatically in google drive....

can any one send the process....

agarwal...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2017, 8:15:52 AM7/21/17
Hey Gord, I'm managing a google sheet which is shared with the staff of my cousin's hotel and I've to lock the sheet in order to restrict them from editing the pre-existing data of the sheet afterwards but let them add data into the sheet. Is there a way to get these thing automatically done and still let them to add details?
I don't need the sheet to password protected.

GS

Jul 21, 2017, 12:52:44 PM7/21/17
Google Sheets is not Excel; it's their own app! They do provide a very good
online help so look there first.

Essentially, though, set the user input cells "Locked" property to inlocked,
then protect the sheet. Usually, using the 'Tab' key will navigte from input
cell to input cell if protection allows to not select locked cells.

goodlu...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2017, 6:52:45 AM10/1/17
Dear Sir,

I want to lock the cells after editing couple of ranges. is it posible to lock the cell after edit the range i.e. A:A. and locked the cell after 2 hours automatically.

Jennifer

Nov 30, 2017, 3:04:17 PM11/30/17
Gord,

If you can, I need similar, but slightly different help. I need to lock cells in a specific column, but only after the value of the column has been changed to a specific value.

We have a buyer sheet that we've been having issues with buyers changing their minds after they've already adjusted an item status from "Hold" to "Ready to Use" and we would like to be able to lock that column once the value is changed to "Ready to Use" but editable prior to that change.

Is there someway of doing that?

-Jennifer

Faizan Khan

Jan 18, 2018, 1:06:10 AM1/18/18
On Sunday, June 24, 2012 at 5:30:21 PM UTC+5:30, Moideen wrote:
Hi Guys,

This code works fine.

But I need to lock cell whenever it gets edited.

for example if I edit A1 than after editing A1 needs password to edit again similarly to other cells.

admass...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2018, 6:15:31 AM3/17/18