Re: Combining Hlookup and vlookup

Max

Jan 26, 2008, 6:20:00 PM1/26/08
One way - use index/match

Assume source table below is in A1:C4
January February
Hair 45 84
Beans 42 61
Prod3 72 29
(month col headers are text)

Assume you have the inputs in E2:F2 down
Beans January
Prod3 February

You could put in G2:
=INDEX($B$2:$C$4,MATCH(E2,$A$2:$A$4,0),MATCH(F2,$B$1:$C$1,0))
and copy down to return the cross-hair results.
--
Max
Singapore
"Dale" wrote:
> I am trying to use the vlookup and hlookup to "cross hair" a cell. I have
> used this combination before but I cannot remember the formula. I have items
> in the first column and a month identifier in the following columns. So I am
> trying to look up Beans in column A with the production in columns that have
> months listed in them, i.e. column B is January, column c is February, etc.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dale

Ragdyer

Jan 27, 2008, 12:49:36 AM1/27/08
Another way ... use XL's "intersection operator", which is a <space>.

Say January and February are in B1 and C1 respectively.
Say Hair, Beans, and Prod are in A2 to A4 respectively.

=Hair February
returns 84

And
=January Prod
returns 72

To make this work, you'll need:
<Tools> <Options> <Calculation> tab
And "Accept Labels In Formulas" *to be checked*.
--
HTH,

RD

"Max" <demec...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

ryguy7272

Jan 28, 2008, 11:32:02 AM1/28/08
When you get your Index/Match function working, you may want to employ this
technique too (found the code on this DG a short time ago):

'----------------------------------------------------------------
'----------------------------------------------------------------
Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
With Target
With .EntireRow
.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
With .FormatConditions(1)
With .Borders(xlTop)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlThin
.ColorIndex = 5
End With
With .Borders(xlBottom)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlThin
.ColorIndex = 5
End With
.Interior.ColorIndex = 20
End With
End With
With .EntireColumn
.FormatConditions.Delete
.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
With .FormatConditions(1)
With .Borders(xlLeft)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlThin
.ColorIndex = 5
End With
With .Borders(xlRight)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlThin
.ColorIndex = 5
End With
.Interior.ColorIndex = 20
End With
End With

.FormatConditions.Delete
.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
.FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 36
End With

End Sub

Regards,
Ryan--

--
RyGuy

Laura.H...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2008, 12:23:11 PM3/25/08
On Jan 26, 7:20 pm, Max <demecha...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> One way - use index/match
>
> Assume source table below is in A1:C4
> January February
> Hair 45 84
> Beans 42 61
> Prod3 72 29
> (month col headers are text)
>
> Assume you have the inputs in E2:F2 down
> Beans January
> Prod3 February
>
> You could put in G2:
> =INDEX($B$2:$C$4,MATCH(E2,$A$2:$A$4,0),MATCH(F2,$B$1:$C$1,0))
> and copy down to return the cross-hair results.
> --
> Max
> Singaporehttp://savefile.com/projects/236895

> xdemechanik
> ---
>
> "Dale" wrote:
> > I am trying to use the vlookup and hlookup to "cross hair" a cell. I have
> > used this combination before but I cannot remember the formula. I have items
> > in the first column and a month identifier in the following columns. So I am
> > trying to look up Beans in column A with the production in columns that have
> > months listed in them, i.e. column B is January, column c is February, etc.
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Dale

Max,I had the exact same problem with my data set as Dale. I used
your recommendation, and problem solved!!! This post saved me tons of
time and frustration. Thank you so much for the clear and detailed
explanation!!!!

Laura

Max

Mar 25, 2008, 4:09:53 PM3/25/08
Glad to hear that, Laura
Thanks for posting the feedback

--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
<Laura.Halderman wrote >
> Max, I had the exact same problem with my data set as Dale. I used

yalic...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2014, 7:48:48 PM3/7/14
O.M.G.

I can't believe that I didn't know it... Thank you Max!

Alice