Multiple cell value

IP

May 7, 2008, 5:53:00 PM5/7/08
I am using a formula and it has 2 or 3 different cells, it like as follow:
cell A1: January, A2:CH
now I want to take a formula to use those two cells as a combine like,
Index($B4:$I9000,Match(cell("contents",$A$2),$B$4:$B$9000,0),2) --this is my
original formula now I want to change and put down a two matching cells like
A1 and A2 in the formula... How can I do this?

Dave Peterson

May 7, 2008, 7:38:29 PM5/7/08
How about:

=INDEX($C4:$C9000,MATCH(1,($A$1=$A$4:$A$9000)*($A$2=$B$4:$B$9000),0))

them yourself.)

Adjust the range to match--but you can only use the whole column in xl2007.

I'm retrieving the value from column C (instead of specifying a column in B:I)

And I'm looking for the first row that has a match in A4:A9000 to A1 and at the
same time a match in B4:B9000 to A2.

These portions:
($A$1=$A$4:$A$9000)
and
($A$2=$B$4:$B$9000)

Each return a bunch of true/false--depending on the match.

But when they're multiplied using:
($A$1=$A$4:$A$9000)*($A$2=$B$4:$B$9000)

That bunch of true/falses becomes a bunch of 1's and 0's.
(true*true = 1, false*anything = 0)

--

Dave Peterson

ip2...@gmail.com

May 10, 2008, 11:02:06 AM5/10/08

I can try it on Monday, cause this is for my work which I am working
for and I don't have a access to communicate, so I will try on Monday
then I can answer you is that working or not, but thanks for answer...

ip2...@gmail.com

May 12, 2008, 7:34:58 PM5/12/08

Hi Dave,
It is not working...
Actually let me show you a proper way what I am doing...
Here is my example:
A:_______
B:_______
C:_______

1 2 3
4 5 6
January 74 256
1260 565 and so on
January 75 1560
120 ....
January 76
1820 978 888
January 102
January 603 2250 5678
3345 and so on
.
.
.
February 74 could be any number
February 75
February 76
Feb 102
.
.
.
March 74
March 75
.
.
.
Any month

Now I want to get a month (any from the list), 2 from list and 3, 4, 5
from the list...
That's what I am trying to do this.

If I use a same formula it is giving (my formula) me answer from one
thing only (any one from A, B or C), but I want to match that with A
and B or C, so I want in 2 cells which would be any A and B or C...
Hope you understand my question...
Thank you for taking a time...

Dave Peterson

May 12, 2008, 8:35:54 PM5/12/08
I don't understand.

Maybe you can explain again or someone else will chime in.

--

Dave Peterson

ip2...@gmail.com

May 12, 2008, 10:46:24 PM5/12/08

Please check your email I emailed you my question and a example
spreadsheet.

Dave Peterson

May 13, 2008, 7:52:05 AM5/13/08
Please keep the discussion in the newsgroups.

You'll find that you have lots more potential responders.

<snipped>

--

Dave Peterson