Settings in book.xlt not transferring to new files

Denise

Jun 10, 2005, 10:27:44 AM6/10/05
Hello

Using Office 2002 SP-2, Windows 2000 V5.0 SP-4.

I am having a problem with the new book.xlt template that I have created.
I have placed some custom colours into the main palette and saved the file
as book.xlt. I place the file in C:\Documents and
Settings\denise\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART.

Whe I open a new instance of Excel the custom colours I added are there
when I go Tools/Options/Color so everything is fine. Likewise, when I hit
the 'New' icon on the Standard toolbar to create a new workbook, the custom
colours are there.

The problem is when I choose File/New from the main menu and then choose
New Blank Workbook. If I do this the custom colours are not there. If I
go into Tools/Options/Color I can copy the colours from Book1, which was
generated when I opened Excel, but this has to be rolled out to users and
they don't want to have to do that.

Basically, how can I make it so that my custom colours appear even when I
choose File/New?

I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks

Denise Crawley

Nick Hodge

Jun 12, 2005, 2:17:57 PM6/12/05
Denise

I suspect with Excel 2000 the File>New... is getting the file from the older
location C:\Program Files... Have a look and see if you have another
xlStart folder or drop one into the default 'Template' folder

Just an outside chance

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Denise" <m...@me.com> wrote in message

Denise

Jun 13, 2005, 5:46:02 AM6/13/05
On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:17:57 +0100, Nick Hodge wrote:

> Denise
>
> I suspect with Excel 2000 the File>New... is getting the file from the older
> location C:\Program Files... Have a look and see if you have another
> xlStart folder or drop one into the default 'Template' folder
>

> Just an outside chance

Hi Nick

Thanks for your reply. I did a search for any other xlstart folders and
the only other one I found was in C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office10. I dropped book.xlt into this folder but it hasn't made
any difference, I'm afraid.

That would seem to be the logical explanation but unfortunately it's not!
Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

Denise

Gord Dibben

Jun 13, 2005, 4:04:21 PM6/13/05
Denise

The Blank workbook that opens using File New...(note ellipsis) is not the
BOOK.XLT you stored in the XLSTART folder.

I'm not sure if there is a method to change this behavior. Maybe a Registry
change. I'll have a look.

I use the other File>New command(the one without the ellipsis...). That will
give you your default BOOK.XLT directly from your XLSTART folder.

If not on your File Menu, go to Tools>Customize>Commands>File and drag the
"New" command to the File Menu.

Check out the descriptions of the two "New" commands while you're there. You
will see the difference between the two.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Denise

Jun 14, 2005, 4:43:01 AM6/14/05
Hi Gord

Thanks for your help. I take it the File/New with no ellipsis is the same
as the New button on the Standard toolbar? I could get my users to use
this for new blank sheets that don't require a specific template. I can
also make sure that all of our standard templates have the colour scheme
saved into them.

It would be good if I could identify where the other File/New (with
ellipsis) was getting its info from but I guess I can use the workaround.

Thanks again

Denise

Gord Dibben

Jun 14, 2005, 2:34:52 PM6/14/05
Denise

Yes, File>New(no ellipsis) is same as the New button on the Standard Toolbar.

I have browsed the Registry and cannot find where File>New...gets its "Blank
Workbook" from.

Gord

Denise

Jun 15, 2005, 6:24:32 AM6/15/05
Thanks anyway, Gord. I appreciate you looking into it.

I've passed on a recommended course of action for my users, basically
telling them to use the icon on the toolbar for new blank spreadsheets.

Thanks again

Denise