Keyboard key assignments change...

Jim Cone

Jan 27, 2007, 3:31:38 PM1/27/07
Hello,

The ~, ,@, # and | keys are assigned to other characters...

(~!@#$%^) becomes (ャ!"」$%^) and the bar key changes to a tilde.

This occurs in the four Xl versions 97 thru 2003 that I have; if/when...

1. Add a button from the forms toolbar to a worksheet
or use a message box with an OK button.
2. Hold down the Alt and Shift keys and click the button.
(don't assign a macro to the button)

The keys are returned to their normal function by repeating the process.
Yes, OnKey will reset the keys, but just until the next time.
I also tried reinstalling XL 97 to no avail.
Am I alone in the wilderness having written too many lines of code? <g>

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

Greg Wilson

Jan 27, 2007, 5:06:00 PM1/27/07
Jim,

I replicated similar with <Alt> + <Shift> and left mouse click when I had an
alternate keyboard layout selected. The button or message box apparently are
not actually relavent. The key + mouse click sequence appears to toggle
between the keyboard layout selections. For alternate keyboard layout
selections see:
Control Panel / Keyboard / Input locales tab / Installed input locales window.

Note the Hot key option in this dialog. The key + mouse click sequence
likely activates the toggling behaviour by design. After unselecting the
alternate keyboard layout option leaving only "English (United States)....US"
and pressing the Apply button the behaviour was removed. You could probably
just unselect the checkbox re the Hot key option (not tested).

Above based on a quick test only.

Regards,
Greg

"Jim Cone" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The ~, ,@, # and | keys are assigned to other characters...
>

> (~!@#$%^) becomes (¬!"£$%^) and the bar key changes to a tilde.

Jim Cone

Jan 27, 2007, 5:46:43 PM1/27/07
Greg,
Thanks for the information.
Looks like you figured it out as no button click is necessary to toggle the
"alternative" layout. However, I do not have the Input locales tab on
the Keyboard dialog/window. Two tabs only...Speed and Hardware.
I am using Windows XP with SP2.
I will now do some searches re windows/keyboard settings and/or
review the Windows installed settings.
Do you have any other suggestions?
Your help is much appreciated.
Regards,
Jim Cone

"Greg Wilson" <GregW...@discussions.microsoft.com>

Greg Wilson

Jan 27, 2007, 6:28:01 PM1/27/07
Try:
1. Control Panel
2. Regional and Languages Options
3. Details button in the Text services and input languages frame
4. Select the alternate language option displayed as a node in the treeview
5. Click Remove button
6. Alternatively, note the Change Key Sequence button
7. Unselect the checkboxes.

The above was from a laptop set up by our IT guy. I believe the current
settings are the default. I have the default key sequence to change between
English and French as "Left Alt + Shift". This is hardly a coincidence I
would think.

I'm rushed for time and took the above notes very quickly and didn't test. I
pretty sure you'll get it sorted.

All the best,
Greg

Jim Cone

Jan 27, 2007, 6:56:15 PM1/27/07
Greg,
That was it, problem taken care of.
The layout and captions were slightly different however.

In the meantime I found Article ID 282599 which
discusses the Ctfmon.exe file and how to shut it down.
Ctfmon.exe activates the Alternative User Input Text Input Processor
and the Microsoft Office Language Bar.

I was able to avoid that step.
Thanks again.

Jim Cone