RE: How to get username during workbooks.open macro

Gary''s Student

Aug 24, 2007, 10:56:01 AM8/24/07
You are welcome. The easy part is saving the username. The trick is the
immediate save!
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200739

"Chuck W" wrote:

> That should do it. Thanks a lot.
>
> "Gary''s Student" wrote:
>
> > Just allocate some cell to hold the information. Then in a Workbook_Open
> > routine:
> >
> > 1. see if you are Unlocked (first user)
> > 2. stuff the username in a cell
> > 3. immediate Save
> >
> > The next user can look at the cell and see who has it open.
> > --
> > Gary''s Student - gsnu200739
> >

> > "Chuck W" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a macro that opens an xl2003 workbook on a network. If the workbook
> > > being opened is already opened by another user, the macro will open a read
> > > only copy without displaying the usual "Locked fo editing" message.
> > >
> > > I figured out how to stop the file from opening, but I really need to be
> > > able to display the name of the user that has the file locked. I've been
> > > trying to figure this out for about 3 hours now. Any help would be greatly
> > > appreciated!
> > >
> > > Here is an example of the code I'm using to stop the file from opening, I'm
> > > sure there's a more efficient way to do it, but I'm kinda learning as I go.
> > >

> > > Sub testreadonly()
> > >
> > > Workbooks.Open ("M:\read only test.xls")
> > >
> > > If ActiveWorkbook.ReadOnly Then
> > > MsgBox ("This workbook is currently opened by another user. Please try
> > > again later.")
> > > ActiveWorkbook.Close
> > > End If
> > >
> > > End Sub

Gary''s Student

Aug 24, 2007, 10:36:04 AM8/24/07

Tom Ogilvy

Aug 24, 2007, 11:08:01 AM8/24/07
Look in xl VBA help at the writeReservedBy property of the workbook object.

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

Chuck W

Aug 24, 2007, 11:58:01 AM8/24/07
Man, this is exactly what I spent 3 hours looking for. You would think this
would have popped up somewhere in one of the 50 different searches I tried!

Thanks.