Shrinking buttons

travis

Aug 27, 2006, 5:54:31 AM8/27/06
I have a problem with shrinking command buttons and changing font sizes
(on the buttons) in a spreadsheet I have made.

I searched the archives of this group and I'm not the first to have a
similar problem. The only suggestion given so far was a workaround:
don't change the screen resolution while you have the spreadsheet open,
because weird things happen, like shrinking command buttons.

Ok, so that's how I can do a workaround solution, but its not a
particularly satisfactory solution when I'm distributing the
spreadsheet.

Is there a proper way to bypass this bug, so if I decide to increase
screen resolution when I want to run a really big spreadsheet I can do
so, without controls doing strange things?

Travis

Rich

Aug 27, 2006, 7:31:01 AM8/27/06
click on the picture buttons , and make sure the properties are set to move
but dont size with cells

travis

Aug 27, 2006, 8:24:44 AM8/27/06

Rich wrote:
> click on the picture buttons , and make sure the properties are set to move
> but dont size with cells

What are the "picture buttons"?

Travis

Tom Ogilvy

Aug 27, 2006, 11:50:57 AM8/27/06
If you really mean you are changing the screen resolution and not the zoom
setting, this would be considered very bad behavior for an application.in a
multitasking environment.

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"travis" <travis...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

travis

Aug 27, 2006, 12:15:18 PM8/27/06

Tom Ogilvy wrote:
> If you really mean you are changing the screen resolution and not the zoom
> setting, this would be considered very bad behavior for an application.in a
> multitasking environment.

No, I'm not changing the screen resolution with the program.

I'm developing this app on a home PC without much grunt. When I play
movies, games etc in the screen's maximum resolution it doesn't go
well. Movies are sticky and choppy etc. So I set the resolution to
something the screen can handle.

But if I am doing a very complex spreadsheet, its handy to be able to
see more of it without scrolling, so I crank up the screen to the
maximum resolution.

If I do this before opening Excel, I haven't noticed any problems. But
if I do this while Excel is running, crazy stuff happens like control
buttons shrinking down to tiny dots and font sizes on controls going
haywire.

I know, the obvious solution is don't change screen res while Excel is
running.

I don't, now that I've established that there is a link between
changing resolution and these weird bugs.

But rather than tiptoe around silly bugs, I'd rather fix them. Anyone
know if there is anything I can do about the problem, properly?

Travis

NickHK

Aug 28, 2006, 10:36:30 AM8/28/06
Are you manually changing the resolution or in code ?

I don't see your problem with manual change. If with API calls, post your
code.

NickHK

"travis" <travis...@yahoo.com>
???????:1156695318....@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

travis

Aug 29, 2006, 7:43:54 AM8/29/06

NickHK wrote:
> Are you manually changing the resolution or in code ?
>
> I don't see your problem with manual change. If with API calls, post your
> code.

Manual.

And its got nothing to do with the app, just me wanting to see my app a
bit better.

Travis

NickHK

Aug 29, 2006, 8:29:01 AM8/29/06
Maybe a problem with your video driver, as I can't reproduce the problem.
XL2K.

NickHK

"travis" <travis...@yahoo.com>
???????:1156851834.2...@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...