setting print area via VBA

1 view

JulieD

Aug 25, 2004, 9:21:35 AM8/25/04
Hi All

having trouble (Excel 2000) setting the print area
i create a form, populated with values from a database and then copy this
form to a new workbook. In the original form i created a named range,
which, of course goes into the new book. What i want to do is use the name
range to set the print area for the form in the new workbook.

This process is all run from the OKbutton on a userform.

For some reason i keep getting a "can not set print area" message no matter
which way i try

currently my code (after trying everything i can think of) goes like this
sheets("packinglist").activate
sheets("packinglist").copy
unload userform2
msgbox "You can now print the packing list"
i =workbooks.count
workbook(i).activate
sheets("packinglist").activate
activesheet.pagesetup.printarea = range("PackingList")

any ideas?

Thanks
JulieD

Rodney POWELL

Aug 25, 2004, 9:44:10 AM8/25/04
    Julie --

    You're very close ...

    With Worksheets("packinglist")

         .PageSetup.PrintArea = .Range("PackingList").Address

    End With

    -----

    Hope it Helps,

    -   Rodney POWELL
        Microsoft MVP - Excel

    Beyond Technology
    Spring, Texas USA

Tom Ogilvy

Aug 25, 2004, 9:52:51 AM8/25/04
activesheet.pagesetup.printarea =
range("PackingList").Address(external:=True)

printarea is looking for a string.

--

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"JulieD" <Jul...@hctsReMoVeThIs.net.au> wrote in message

JulieD

Aug 25, 2004, 9:51:16 AM8/25/04
Hi Rodney

thanks, i think that must have been about the only thing i didn't think of trying :)

i'll now stop banging my head on the wall.

Cheers
JulieD

Don Guillett

Aug 25, 2004, 9:59:20 AM8/25/04
You don't have to go there. Try this for named range.

Sub printpackinglist()
'Sheets("packinglist").Range("packinglistprintarea").Printpreview
Sheets("packinglist").Range("packinglistprintarea").PrintOut
End Sub

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

JulieD

Aug 25, 2004, 10:16:04 AM8/25/04
Hi Don

i can't :(
i don't have a printer installed on the machine i'm programming on (don't
ask!) ... so i can't run code with those two lines in it.

Cheers
JulieD

"Don Guillett" <don...@281.com> wrote in message

Frank Stone

Aug 25, 2004, 11:11:37 AM8/25/04
hi.
you got a lot of suggestions on this on. Here's mine
i use this syntax every moning.

activesheet.pagesetup.printarea = "PackingList"

>.

Don Guillett

Aug 25, 2004, 12:33:19 PM8/25/04
You don't have to have a printer installed. Just install a printer driver.
In other words, install a printer that you don't have and use the
printpreview line

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"JulieD" <Jul...@hctsReMoVeThIs.net.au> wrote in message

JulieD

Aug 25, 2004, 12:35:36 PM8/25/04
don't have permissions to install a printer driver .... :)

sad isn't it (but i do have a lovely new chair, a stapler & a sticky tape
dispenser)

Cheers
JulieD

"Don Guillett" <don...@281.com> wrote in message

Don Guillett

Aug 25, 2004, 6:02:59 PM8/25/04
Just one of the reasons that I always worked for ME.
BTW, can I borrow your sticky tape dispenser sometime?

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software