Sum only visible cells

Charlie

Dec 16, 2005, 9:38:01 AM12/16/05
Is there a formula to sum only visible cells, so that if I hide a row the
formula result will change?

(In B6) =SUMIF(A1:A5,NOT( [cell row hidden] ),B1:B5)

Or will I need to write a function to do this?

TIA
Charlie

Ron Coderre

Dec 16, 2005, 9:55:04 AM12/16/05
If you hide the rows with an advanced filter or an autofilter, you can use
the sum version of the SUBTOTAL function to display totals for visible items.

Example:

Col_A has Name
Col_B has Amount

A2: Name
A3: Bill
A4: Dave
etc

B2: 10
B3: 20
etc

B1: =SUBTOTAL(9,B2:B10)
intially returns 30.
(The 9 in the SUBTOTAL function tells Excel to ADD the amounts, other
options are AVERAGE, MIN, MAX...etc....check Excel Help)

If you autofilter to only show Bill, the formula wil return 10.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

Tom Ogilvy

Dec 16, 2005, 10:26:26 AM12/16/05
In Excel 2003, subtotal has options to ignore any hidden row - not just
those rows hidden by a filter.

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Ron Coderre" <ronSKIPTH...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

Ron Coderre

Dec 16, 2005, 10:38:03 AM12/16/05
NICE! Thanks, Tom. I did not know that.
I briefly had XL2003 on my PC, but it wouldn't interface with a legacy
application I need to use. So, alas, I had to back down to XL2002.

***********
Regards,
Ron

Charlie

Dec 16, 2005, 10:54:02 AM12/16/05
Thanks, guys. Now all I need to do is get my employer to upgrade to 2003!

Bob Phillips

Dec 16, 2005, 11:33:39 AM12/16/05
If your rows are manually hidden and you wan t to sum the visible rows
pre-2003, you can use this UDF

Function SumVisible(rng As Range)
Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In rng