TAB KEY

Chi Huynh

Sep 11, 2003, 1:18:24 PM9/11/03
Normally, In Execl sheet,if I want to move form one cell
> to the next cell, I just use "Tab Key".
>
> if I want to move form one cell to another which is not
> next to each other, please tell me what i shoul do?
>
> For example:
> After entering information on cell (A1)and then press the
> ENTER KEY, I would like my cursor directly move to
(E2),and then move to (10D). In other word, I like to jump
to cell to cell which are not next to each other.

Your ideas are good, but for my project,I can not hide any
collums.

> Thank you very much
> Chi Huynh

Harald Staff

Sep 11, 2003, 1:27:24 PM9/11/03
Hi Huynh

If you unlock the cells and then protect the sheets then Tab will bring you to the next
"open" cell in the order of Excel's own logic. If this is the wrong order then you can
either re-order the cells to fit her logic, or create a Userform for entries instead.
Setting the Tab order can be done by the user (only) by complex operations -but users are
usually not that smart.

--
HTH. Best wishes Harald
Excel MVP

Followup to newsgroup only please.

"Chi Huynh" <chu...@stu.parkland.edu> wrote in message

RagDyer

Sep 11, 2003, 3:56:03 PM9/11/03

Hello Chi,

I believe if you tried the "named range" approach, it should fill your
requirements.

Select your *second* cell for data entry and then hold down <Ctrl> and
continue to select all the rest of the desired cells in order, ending with
selecting your *first* cell *last*.
While the cells are still selected, click in the name box and give this
range a short name such as "Entry1".

Now, when you're ready for data entry, simply click on the range name in the
name box. The focus for the range is the first cell for data input so all
you have to now do, is type your data and hit enter and the focus then moves
to each successive cell in your range. Just click away to break out of the
loop.

You can of course enter numerous "data entry ranges" with slightly different
names.
These named ranges are WB specific however, so for example, if you wish to
use the same name for the first entry on other sheets of the same WB, you
will have to prefix the range name with the WS name followed with an
exclamation point.
For example:
Sheet1!Entry1
Sheet1!Entry2

Sheet2!Entry1
Sheet2!Entry2 ... etc.

The one caveat with this procedure is the number of cells that can be used
within 1 range name.
For reasons not really pertinent here, you should have no trouble if the
number is around 20 or 30 cells.
If you try more, and run into a problem, post back for work-arounds.
--

HTH,

RD

Renee A.

Sep 18, 2003, 5:34:12 PM9/18/03
I MUST totally be missing something here, but why not just hit ctl. +G
(go to) and type in the cell you want? - Renee

RagDyer

Sep 18, 2003, 11:42:29 PM9/18/03
If you had 25 data points to fill, how many more keystrokes would it take to
complete that type of input instead of just being able to hit <Enter>?

And, if this was just one form in an 8 hour day of 50 to 100 forms for data
entry ???

I believe that must be what you are totally missing.

You and I do not know and/or understand the needs and wants of the OPs.
We just try to accommodate their requests.
--

Regards,

RD

"Renee A." <r2a...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message