check box column

Candace

Jan 8, 2010, 6:38:01 PM1/8/10
Is there a clean easy way to get checkbox functionality on an Excel
spreadsheet? I need to add a column to my spreadsheet that has a checkbox (or
something comparable) in each cell of that column. However, I looked at
adding checkboxes using either a form control or an activex control and both
seem to sit on top of the spreadsheet, rather than being associated with a
cell itself. Any ideas?

Dave Peterson

Jan 8, 2010, 8:26:30 PM1/8/10
I'd use something simple--like an X.

But if you want something prettier:

(saved from a previous post)

Select the range that would have held the checkboxes.
Format|cells|number tab|custom category
In the "type:" box, put this:
alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252

But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
keypad.

It should look something like this when you're done.
�;�;�;�
(umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)

And format that range of cells as Wingdings (make it as large as you want)

Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
mark.

Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.

If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:
=if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")
or
=counta(a1:a10)
to get the number of "checked" cells in A1:A10

Or you can filter by blanks and non-blanks.

--

Dave Peterson

מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן

Jan 9, 2010, 5:14:01 AM1/9/10
After formatting that column as "Wingdings 2" - typing an R [capital R] will
produce a check box.
Micky

מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן

Jan 9, 2010, 5:26:01 AM1/9/10
Try, also, capital: P, Q, S, T, U, V
Micky

Candace

Jan 9, 2010, 10:21:01 AM1/9/10
Thanks Dave - this worked perfectly!

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> I'd use something simple--like an X.
>
> But if you want something prettier:
>
> (saved from a previous post)
>
> Select the range that would have held the checkboxes.
> Format|cells|number tab|custom category
> In the "type:" box, put this:
> alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252
>
> But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
> keypad.
>
> It should look something like this when you're done.

> ü;ü;ü;ü

> (umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)
>
> And format that range of cells as Wingdings (make it as large as you want)
>
> Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
> mark.
>
> Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.
>
> If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:
> =if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")
> or
> =counta(a1:a10)
> to get the number of "checked" cells in A1:A10
>
> Or you can filter by blanks and non-blanks.
>
> Candace wrote:
> >
> > Is there a clean easy way to get checkbox functionality on an Excel
> > spreadsheet? I need to add a column to my spreadsheet that has a checkbox (or
> > something comparable) in each cell of that column. However, I looked at
> > adding checkboxes using either a form control or an activex control and both
> > seem to sit on top of the spreadsheet, rather than being associated with a
> > cell itself. Any ideas?
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

> .

LAMOR

Jun 25, 2010, 12:21:08 AM6/25/10

Thanks everyone. I was able to take what ya'll had disclosed here and
solve my challenge. I teach accounting classes and wanted an easy way
for my students to click a button or type a keystroke to create a
checkmark in their Excel spreadsheet. I especially need this in tests
where students are not expected to have good spreadsheet skills, rather
are demonstrating accounting knowledge. The chekmark has specific
meaning on a journal page and that is what I needed to automate "typed"
at will.

I have created a macro that plays with Ctrl+Shift+K that sets the
current cell's fontface to Wingdings font and then inserts the function
=char(252). This character looks like a checkmark in Wingding font.

Start VBA for your worksheet, insert module, paste the below. Save as
an xlsm file (if using Excel 2007). I have also inserted a button and
associated the macro. Clicking on the button or executing the macro with
the shortcut keys produces a checkbox in the current cell location.
Thanks, everyone, for info that helped me solve my particular problem.

Sub check()
'
' check Macro
' checkmark