Personal.xls file

1 view

Chris Golden

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00
Please could someone help me.

I have all my macros stored in my personal.xls file in the
C:\MSoffice\Office\Xlstart folder. This is nothing new. However I copied the
file using explorer to a network disk for my collegue to use last week and
now whenever I click on one of my personalised icons that refer to the
macros in this file I get a message saying "Personal.xls already open"
(which it is but hidden). I don't understand this at all. Should the file be
open and hidden already? (I thought it should be). If so could someone tell
me what's going on and how to fix it.

Version being used is Office 97, Excel 97 R2

Many Thanks

Chris

Tom Ogilvy

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00

It sounds like your personalized icons are now pointing at the macros in the
copy on the network drive. When you click on them, it tries to open this
copy - but finds that another workbook named personal.xls is already
opened - thus the message. I suspect you did a file saveas to the network
drive and this probably caused them to be redirected. Try moving your
personal.xls out of the xlstart directory. Then open Excel. Then click one
of your bottons. Then do a file saveas back to the xlstart directory for
the personal.xls (or otherwise reverse what you did).

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy
MVP Excel

"Chris Golden" <chris....@nospamvirgin.net> wrote in message

Chris

Aug 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/22/00
Thanks Tom,

I have tried the following
Worksheet/unhide/personal.xls
File/saveas/C:\MSOffice\Office\xlstart\personal.xls overwrite-yes
Worksheet/hide/personal.xls
Exit Excel "Do you want to save changes to personal.xls" yes
Restart excel, click on macro button, "a document with the name personal.xls
is already open"

If I unhide and close the version of personal.xls it's running and click on
the button it works fine...but then the next time you open Excel it does it
again.

Could you tell me
1. should personal.xls be in the xlstart folder
2. should it be opened (& hidden) when you start excel
3. is there any way of checking the location of the macro files my toolbar
buttons are referring to.
4. is there any way of checking the location of the personal.xls file that
is running

Many thanks again

Chris

Tom Ogilvy <Thomas....@hqda.army.mil> wrote in message

Tom Ogilvy

Aug 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/22/00
In the immediate window
? CommandBars("Custom 1").Controls(1).OnAction

for example:

? CommandBars("Custom 1").Controls(1).OnAction
'D:\MSOFFICE\OFFICE\XLSTART\PERSONAL.XLS'!ReplaceYears

You can reset this as well

CommandBars("Custom 1").controls(1).OnAction = "Personal.xls!ReplaceYears2"

for example:

CommandBars("Custom 1").controls(1).OnAction = "Personal.xls!ReplaceYears2"
? CommandBars("Custom 1").Controls(1).OnAction
'D:\MSOFFICE\OFFICE\XLSTART\PERSONAL.XLS'!ReplaceYears2

Since I just use "Personal.xls!ReplaceYears2", it used the currently running
personal.xls

My previous suggestion was an attempt to avoid having to do each control
manually by reversing what you most likely had done.

You can do tools=>Customize , then right click on each control and reasign
the macro.

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy
MVP Excel

"Chris" <chris....@nospamvirgin.net> wrote in message

Peltier

Aug 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/22/00
I used to have this problem. And I hated repointing all the buttons to
the right personal.xls. I got around it by attaching those commandbars
to the personal.xls that opened with Excel, and deleting them in a
workbook_beforeclose event in personal.xls. This worked okay, but now
that I've written VBA to create the commandbars in the workbook_open
event of personal.xls, it works even better, being much easier to alter
if I want to change buttons.

- Jon
_______