Turn off auto-hyperlink?

Chris Low

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
I hate the function in the new Office 2000 Suite that automatically
turns web addresses and e-mail addresses into hyperlinks! I don't want
them to show up as blue underlined text in my documents (it is very
unprofessional to have it this way in business correspondence and
reports) and I don't want them to print as screened text in hard copies
(again, very unprofessional). Turning this feature off in Word was easy,
but I can't seem to figure out how to do this in Excel. Does anybody
know? Please help!

I don't get a chance to read this newsgroup all that often, so if you
have a hint, please email me directly at chri...@fuller.edu Thanks a
lot!

Chris

Tom Ogilvy

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
There is no option to turn it off. Format the cell as text before entry or
preface the entry with a single quote.

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy
MVP Excel

Chris Low <chri...@fuller.edu> wrote in message

John Walkenbach

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
Tom is correct (of course). Yet another option is to press Ctrl+Z after you
type the text. This will "undo" the hyperlink part and convert the cell
entry to plain text.

----- Posted by John Walkenbach (MVP) -----
----- Visit The Spreadsheet Page -----
----- http://www.j-walk.com/ss -----

Tom Ogilvy <twog...@email.msn.com> wrote in message

David McRitchie

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
Hi Chris,
You can remove hyperlinks for the selection with:
Sub DelHyperLinks()
Selection.Hyperlinks.Delete
End Sub

If you don't want to bother hitting the Select ALL or never
wish to be selective:

Sub RemoveHyperlinks()
Cells.Hyperlinks.Delete
End Sub

Adding to John's and Tom's comments:
I usually use ctrl+z (undo) to remove the ones I don't want
immediately after typing. I seldom think ahead by typing
the single quote in font.

For those who want some more information on
see http://www.geocities.com/davemcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm
Since this is the misc group those needing help installing a macro
see http://www.geocities.com/davemcritchie/excel/formula.htm

HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel (site changed 2000-04-15)
My Excel Macros: http://www.geocities.com/davemcritchie/excel/excel.htm

Ashley Sheridan

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
Another way is to go under Format --> Style. Under "Style Name" choose
"Hyperlink" (you must already have a hyperlink in the workbook for this to
appear as an option). You'll see a checkmark next to "Font" and the
formatting - blue underlined. You can either uncheck it or go under "Modify"
for more options.
This works on any hyperlinks you type in after you set the style, however,
if you have any existing hyperlinks you'll have to turn them off manually -
just right-click on it, select "Hyperlink" from the pop-up menu, then
"Remove Hyperlink."
HTH!
-Sheridan

David McRitchie

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
Hi Chris,
Forgot about this one referenced on my BuildTOC page is
a MS KB article (with another macro).

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q233/0/73.ASP
Q233073 -- XL2000: How to Prevent the Automatic Creation of Hyperlinks

Personally I like hyperlinks and will remove the ones I don't want as
previously described.