My Excel document won't open - need to recover

Andrew

Apr 24, 2006, 5:30:01 AM4/24/06
When I try to open my Excel document, an error message comes up:

The file may be read only, or you may be trying to access a read only
location. Or the server the document is stored on may not be responding.

Of course I've tried to fiddle with the Attributes in the file's properties.
I've checked Help and Online support. I'm pretty sure the file didn't copy
properly to the memory stick. However, the file still claims to be 255kb, so
data is there.

My question is: How can I recover this data?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Andrew

Patricia Shannon

Apr 25, 2006, 9:33:02 AM4/25/06
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc&mid=1fe358b1-c8eb-4217-ad2a-4b9fcf741916

See the above link for possible solution.
Also, there are a bunch of other queries about this problem. I suggest you
do a search for your problem before posting a question :)

FireWater

Apr 26, 2006, 12:31:39 AM4/26/06

i dont think its a security update issue. Its a simple corrupt file.
Try copying the file again from the memory stick and be sure to
disconnect the hardware before pulling it out.

--
FireWater
FireWater's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33846

Andrew

Apr 27, 2006, 4:26:02 AM4/27/06
Thank you FireWater,

It turned out later that it was the hardware, most probably not disconnected
fully before I pulled it out.

Andrew